The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 3, 2000, 08:38 AM   #1
BMAC

I recently received a scope I ordered. The markings on the W&E knobs were not what I expected. However, the company disagrees with my interpretation. I would appreciate the advice / comments from the members of this board.

The W&E knobs have .675 MOA per click. I orderd knobs with "both BCD yardage and MOA scales on them". (Yardage applies only to elevation.)

I understood this to mean that marks on the knobs would be at each whole MOA and perhaps fractions of MOA depending on the space available. However, markings on the knobs I received correspond directly to "clicks", and are marked 1 to 48 for the 48 clicks on a revolution, i.e. marking lines every .675 MOA.

I called the company and indicated that the markings were in clicks not in MOA as ordered. I was told that what I received WAS an "MOA scale" as clicks were in .675 MOA and the lines corresponded to increments of this fractional MOA number. To get whole MOA all I had to do was multiply by .675. I pointed out that this is unacceptable for timed target shooting or field hunting situations, but this comment was ignored.

I indicated my opinion that markings on any "scale" should occur at whole numbers of the units i.e. whole MOA (as well as reasonable fractions). The company representative was aware that I was new to shooting and told me that I didn't know what I was talking about, and that the industry norm (essentially all scopes made) was for markings to correspond to clicks. I pointed out that this is because most scopes have clicks in fractions of MOA that will add up to each whole MOA (i.e. tenths, quarters, thirds, halfs) unlike .675 which does not.

The representative reiterated his statement that I didn't know what I was talking about and refused to discuss the matter further. The best I was offered was that I could pay additional money to have new W&E spools made with BDC and actual MOA markings.

Opinions please!

......./Bruce