The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old May 21, 2005, 06:26 PM   #1
IZinterrogator

Received my first subscription issue today

Denny and Rich, thanks for the articles in this month's issue. I had been wanting a Kimber TLE/RL II for awhile, but after reading the article on the Kimber Warrior, I have decided to put that on my "to-buy" list instead. Same goes for the ACOG. I had wanted a TA31F, but now that I know that the BDC on the TA31RCO-A4 is calibrated for a 20" barrel, I'm going to go shopping for one of those instead. I also enjoyed the article on bayonets. Despite being an Army guy, I took both a personally-owned M7 and a personally-owned M10 (with the EGA on the handle) with me to the sandbox instead of drawing that POS M9 bayonet out of the arms room.

Just out of curiousity, have you or are you going to review the VTAC Mk I sling that Blackhawk offers? I had a Blackhawk sling when I left, but traded it for a VTAC after three months. Just wondering if others have the same high opinion of it that I do.

Also liked Brent Wheat's article in Street Smarts. It reaffirmed that I wasn't crazy for being accepting of the fact that I could die when I was in the sandbox and concentrating on the job at hand instead. Quite a few people over there not doing that.

Anyway, thanks again for the great issue.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams

Last edited by IZinterrogator; May 23, 2005 at 12:20 AM.
IZinterrogator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 12:24 PM   #2
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

IZ-

We appreciate the kind words, however, you and the all the rest of the guys in the sandbox are the ones who thanks are owed to. Since S.W.A.T. supports the willing, we have articles on what is happening over there coming up, including one on civilian contractors and one on the humanitarian projects the troops are involved with.

The Kimber Warrior is indeed a great pistol, and I prefer it to the TLE/RL since I personally like the original Browning-designed operating system. To further complicate your purchase decision, be advised that Kimber has just released the Desert Warrior; same pistol but finished in tan Kim-Pro finish.

We have not reviewed the VTAC individually, but look for it to be included in rifle reviews in the future.

Denny
Denny Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 07:51 PM   #3
Christopher II

I tried out a VTAC sling on a friends AR this afternoon. Two of them have already been ordered for my own ARs. It's pretty rare that I go head over heels for a piece of hardware like I just did...

Also, it was truly a delight to see Claire Wolfe writing for SWAT.

Keep up the good work, guys.

- Chris

"Contrary to popular belief, your vote does not matter, and you cannot make a difference." - Bob Murphy, "Picking Neither of Two Evils"

My PGP Public Key
Christopher II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 10:07 PM   #4
Matis

Location: Used to live in the USA; now find myself in the twilight zone.
OK, that's it, I can't stand it any longer!

I pride myself on being a cheap guy and $30 something a year subscription AIN'T cheap.

It's all your fault, IZinterrogator. I'm subscribing.

And thanks, IZ for going to the sandbox so that the rest of us can enjoy the blessings of living in this country. I hope you and the others stay safe.

matis

Edit: Hey, it's only $26.95! I'm sending a money order.
Matis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 04:36 PM   #5
IZinterrogator

Quote:
be advised that Kimber has just released the Desert Warrior; same pistol but finished in tan Kim-Pro finish.
Oh, that is just wrong. It meshes perfectly with some other projects I have in mind. I wonder how much extra that will be...
Quote:
we have articles on what is happening over there coming up, including one on civilian contractors and one on the humanitarian projects the troops are involved with.
Thanks for pointing out the bright side of our work, Denny. Is Erick going to write the contractor article from a first-person perspective?
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old May 23, 2005, 05:35 PM   #6
IZHUMINTER

Quote:
Quote:
be advised that Kimber has just released the Desert Warrior; same pistol but finished in tan Kim-Pro finish.
Oh, that is just wrong. It meshes perfectly with some other projects I have in mind. I wonder how much extra that will be...
My thoughts exactly. I'd love to know how much more...especially after what I just heard clarifying the Personally Owned Weapons policies for the CENTCOM AOR.

Next time I go, I'm taking a .45, or at least something other than an M9 if I have to take a 9mm.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." -Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water: A Gulf Stream Letter
IZHUMINTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 06:18 PM   #7
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Unknown on the cost of the Desert Warrior, but I doubt it will be much (if any) more costly.

IZinterrogator-
Erick is with a CA National Guard Infantry unit. He'll be writing the article on the humanitarian projects, as well as one that has to do with the selection and training of the Short Range Marksmanship and Squad Designated Marksman (SDM) program. James Yeager of Tactical Response will be writing the contractor piece. All three will be written from first hand experiences. (James is just recently back, Erick is still in-theatre.)

I plan on dedicating all three articles to fallen comrades that Erick and James served with.

WE WILL NEVER FORGET!

Denny
Old May 24, 2005, 12:30 AM   #8
IZinterrogator

Sorry Erick, thought you were there as a contractor this time. Glad to hear you are dressing in three fashionable shades of desert these days.

If you need any MOLLE pouches or anything like that, I have a ton of Blackhawk STRIKE gear sitting in a duffel bag in my kitchen right now that I won't need for about another 18-24 months. Keep your head down.
Old May 24, 2005, 12:20 PM   #9
sjstill

Matis wrote: I pride myself on being a cheap guy and $30 something a year subscription AIN'T cheap.

Its kind like that credit card commercial - SWAT Magazine - 30.00/year.

The information inside - priceless!

The primary target is what we call the thoracic triangle. Shots to this area tend to make people FDGB (“fall down go boom”).
sjstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 10:39 PM   #10
IZHUMINTER

Desert Warrior

Quote:
To further complicate your purchase decision, be advised that Kimber has just released the Desert Warrior; same pistol but finished in tan Kim-Pro finish.
I still haven't seen the press release, although Kimber did confirm it over the phone with me...and here is a picture:
http://216.219.239.217/%7Eadmin26/1/1/1%202016.jpg
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." -Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water: A Gulf Stream Letter
Old July 14, 2005, 05:18 PM   #11
IZinterrogator

Well, the Desert Warrior has been paid for and is on order, and the custom grips for it are already here. Hopefully I'll have it in my hands in mid-August so I can post pics.

Thanks for the heads-up, Denny. After handling the regular Warrior quite a bit in the last few weeks, I'm sure glad you talked me out of a thousand bucks.
Old July 15, 2005, 05:17 PM   #12
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Glad I could help!
Old September 17, 2005, 02:04 PM   #13
IZinterrogator

Okay Denny, it is finally here!

I added some customized Slimline OG Alumagrips to it, plus some Wilson Combat magazines, of course. What do you think?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0364.JPG (208.0 KB, 33765 views)
Old September 17, 2005, 05:16 PM   #14
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Very nice, IZ.

I was able to restore my orignal Warrior that was "lost" when my house burned down. We raised several firearms from the ashes, and there will be an article titled Operation Phoenix that will appear (with a lot of before and after photos) in the December issue.

Denny
Old September 18, 2005, 01:30 AM   #15
IZinterrogator

Don't hate because there isn't room in an infantryman's rucksack for a coffeemaker, laptop, and Playstation, Erick. Come to the dark side and embrace the Humvee power inverter like I have.

Denny, glad to hear about your Warrior. Did the aluminum-framed guns make it through the restoration okay, or just the steel ones? I always wondered about the fire-resistance of one vs. the other.
Old September 18, 2005, 09:23 AM   #16
Eghad

a pimp gun to go with those pimpin Cav Hats....lol

jes kiddin.....

nice one

NRA Life Member
Eghad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2005, 10:23 AM   #17
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

IZ-
I was able to save an AR upper and lower. Even with steel, one can quickly reach the point of diminishing returns with heat treat, tempering cost of new internals, etc. The article will focus on the fact that it can be done, but not necessarily that it should be attempted.

Denny
Old September 18, 2005, 11:12 AM   #18
IZinterrogator

Quote:
a pimp gun to go with those pimpin Cav Hats....lol
Yer damn right.

Old September 18, 2005, 11:20 AM   #19
IZHUMINTER

Did you swap out the trigger? Mine came with a matte aluminum speed trigger (3-holes). Yours is obviously different...
Old September 18, 2005, 12:44 PM   #20
IZinterrogator

Nope, that's the trigger that came on the gun.