The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 8, 2005, 04:51 PM   #1
Kayser

Long term storage for brass?

I've been keeping my brass in tupperware as I move it through the various stages of reloading (I take my time and do it over several days for a big batch). I've found that it quickly loses it's just-tumbled super polish even while sealed. Is there a good method for keeping the brass nice and shiny, or is a little bit of tarnish to be expected (my house has central air, FWIW).

I also tumble the brass for lots of calibers that I don't currently reload, but plan to, so they end up sitting around for quite a while in the tupperware.

Any suggestions here?
Old May 8, 2005, 05:07 PM   #2
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

I keep mine in plastic baggies with as much air squeezed out of it as possible. They'll still tarnish, but it takes awhile. You might consider one of those gizmos that sucks the air out of food baggies and seals them. You'd have to be careful though about how much vaccuum you use so the case edges don't cut through the bag.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old May 8, 2005, 08:58 PM   #3
WisconsinDave

I find that the slight tarnish on the brass that you are working with comes from the natural oils on your fingers. If I want to keep my brass on my reloads looking "just from the tumbler", I wear form fitting rubber surgical gloves while I'm doing my reloading operations. I find as long as I store my brass in air tight packaging and keep my hands from getting them tarnished, they keep that bright shine.

Just my .02 $

Dave
Old May 8, 2005, 10:24 PM   #4
CaptainRazor

Coffee cans (with lids of course)
Old May 9, 2005, 11:24 AM   #5
BigSlick

Food Saver by Tilia.

Brass stays shiny and bright for years

Another plus is you can make your own battlepacks.

Works like a champ

BigSlick
Old May 9, 2005, 01:43 PM   #6
G56

I wear brown cotton gloves when handling my brass after cleaning, no fingerprints and more comfortable than latex gloves, latex gloves are good when you need more dexterity, like when handling bullets.
Old May 9, 2005, 02:35 PM   #7
cheygriz

Keep the tupperware sealed and don't worry about the tarnish. It won't hurt anything.
Old May 9, 2005, 04:27 PM   #8
Russ5924

I have had the same problem a good polish helps a lot but still over time they do get darker,I just throw them back in the cleaner again and they are like new.But is funny I have had some new Winchesters just sitting in plastic bags and they have stayed nice and bright for about 4 years.