The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 22, 2017, 11:26 AM   #51
tipoc

This may give folks a little better idea of what's going on.

https://www.thetrace.org/2017/04/gun...e-advertising/

You may be aware that over the the last period of time there have been calls for You Tube, Facebook, Reddit and other websites to "limit" or control what is posted there. Facebook has been under pressure to censor "Fake News", bullying, images of violence and killings online, Jihadist videos, etc. This pressure comes from a variety of sources. One thing you tube has done is create a "Restricted" category. Exactly how this works I'm not sure. But if enough folks report something as age inappropriate or inappropriate for some reason, it gets into the "Restricted" category. That prevents it from being monetized. This has caught some gun channels and others. This effects their bottom line as it restricts access to them and therefore money. It can also be appealed. It's created confusion and not just with gun channels.

It can be a threat to free speech in some ways. Gotta think this out and learn more.

tipoc

Last edited by Spats McGee; April 23, 2017 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Removing "-CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED-"
Old April 22, 2017, 02:40 PM   #52
JoeSixpack

Remember when youtube was about having fun and expressing your self?
not making money or quitting your job and becoming a internet star?

Ya.. good times..

YT has been going down hill since google bought YT.
When I come across some Madonna crying about their monitization on YT I just laugh.
Old April 23, 2017, 01:04 AM   #53
armoredman

Nothing has happened to my itty bitty YouTube channel, but not that many people drop by. Not monetized.
Old April 24, 2017, 03:30 PM   #54
spacemanspiff

I would download as many YT videos as possible now.

Especially the ones about how to take apart, clean, and put back together.
Old May 20, 2017, 03:09 AM   #55
FrankenMauser

Just to re-address the topic...

Tonight, I watched a metric ton of gun videos on YouTube, and nearly every one of them was prefaced and interrupted by advertisements.
Most were NRA-backed ads, but there were a few other in the mix, as well.

So...
I think we need to inquire with our favorite channel hosts to see what policy/advertisement changes were made, and what the hosts' new perspective may be on the current (developing?) situation.
Old May 20, 2017, 12:14 PM   #56
rickyrick

If you have the space, it's easy to download YouTube videos and store if it's something you like watching, not cats afraid of cucumbers, but something of value.
It probably takes less time than sitting through advertisements if you have a good connection.
Then you can watch it anywhere.
Old May 20, 2017, 07:28 PM   #57
Berserker

That was 4/6. Has anything changed?

Interesting that site was asking for donations.
Old May 20, 2017, 09:23 PM   #58
FrankenMauser

Quote:
If you have the space, it's easy to download YouTube videos and store if it's something you like watching, not cats afraid of cucumbers, but something of value.
It probably takes less time than sitting through advertisements if you have a good connection.
Then you can watch it anywhere.
Without permission, that's piracy - and illegal.
Old May 20, 2017, 11:31 PM   #59
KyJim

Quote:
But perhaps not under the Fair Use Doctrine if done for the private, non-commercial use by the downloader. This is similar to video time-shifting which the Supreme Court allowed in Sony Corp. v. Universal. Wikipedia has another article on the Fair Use Doctrine. I'm talking about the portion of YouTube available without a subscription.

I don't practice intellectual property law and am unwilling to say downloading from YouTube for private, non-commercial use is clearly legal. I'm saying that it does not appear to be clearly illegal.
Old May 21, 2017, 12:47 AM   #60
MichaelS.

Just did a search, and all of the old faithful gun vids and channels are still up and running.

I think this was knee jerk, fake news.
Old May 21, 2017, 01:13 AM   #61
JoeSixpack

Quote:
I agree with kyjim should be covered under fair use as I understand it.

no more illegal than recording tv shows (betamax trials), saving webpages, or pictures off the internet.

If you was to make a channel and pass the videos off as your own that would be different but clearly that is not what was described.

The youtube videos are freely accessible much like broadcast tv is.
Old May 21, 2017, 10:41 AM   #62
tipoc

Quote:
Just did a search, and all of the old faithful gun vids and channels are still up and running.

I think this was knee jerk, fake news.
A element of panic. A change has occurred and is still occurring that threatens their source of income potentially. So that sets some folks off in a Chicken Little way. But that doesn't mean, IMHO, that it's all fake news. Something is there that bears some watching.

But there's bound to be some changes. At some point (and a piece of it is happening right now) advertisers, the source of the You Tube stars money, will question the usefulness and reach of the model. Of how much they get in return for their cash, whether it's gun shows or people raising flowers or reviews of vacuum cleaners. The bosses will ask...What do we get in return for sustaining 27 gun shows on You Tube and is it worth us?

tipoc
Old May 21, 2017, 10:58 AM   #63
Berserker

How is using Ant to download a video any different than VCR? I know no one uses VCR but, figured old technology may be understood better.

Ethically it doesn't bother me. I am not selling it or playing to an audience. Just me watching it later.

If you have limited data out in the country, sometimes downloading is better than watching over and over again.
Old May 21, 2017, 02:33 PM   #64
FrankenMauser

I don't think unauthorized downloads fall under fair use.
But, even if you do want to make that argument, it's still a violation of YouTube's TOS (Terms Of Service) agreement.

Quote:
5. Your Use of Content
In addition to the general restrictions above, the following restrictions and conditions apply specifically to your use of Content.

The Content on the Service, and the trademarks, service marks and logos ("Marks") on the Service, are owned by or licensed to YouTube, subject to copyright and other intellectual property rights under the law.
Content is provided to you AS IS. You may access Content for your information and personal use solely as intended through the provided functionality of the Service and as permitted under these Terms of Service. You shall not download any Content unless you see a “download” or similar link displayed by YouTube on the Service for that Content. (...)
Old May 21, 2017, 08:21 PM   #65
Berserker

For me ethically, if I am just watching it in my chair in my underwear, I feel ok.

I have never tried to download any gun videos. I have watched a few assembly ones over and over, that maybe I should have.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:31 AM   #66
Ralgha

Just by watching a YouTube video, you've ALREADY downloaded and saved it on your computer. That's how it works.
Old May 22, 2017, 02:26 PM   #67
spacemanspiff

So whose rights are being violated? Those of Youtube? Or those who are posting content thru youtube?
Old May 22, 2017, 02:57 PM   #68
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Just by watching a YouTube video, you've ALREADY downloaded and saved it on your computer. That's how it works.
No, that is not how it works. You have viewed the content from the YT website. You have not downloaded it just by watching it.

Quote:
So whose rights are being violated? Those of Youtube? Or those who are posting content thru youtube?
You are violating the rights of those posting the content through Youtube. It remains their intellectual property and unless otherwise stated, they have not given permission for you to download it for viewing off Youtube.
Old May 22, 2017, 04:17 PM   #69
JoeSixpack

Quote:
I don't think unauthorized downloads fall under fair use.
But, even if you do want to make that argument, it's still a violation of YouTube's TOS (Terms Of Service) agreement.
Actually that's unenforceable for two reasons.

1. you don't even have to agree to those terms to view youtube
The only videos that are inaccessible without an account are ones that have been flagged as mature.

2. Im unsure if it still is the case as the YT downloaders works so well but prior to those if your browser cache was large enough your browser would just cache the videos on disk, at least the standard 360p quality ones.

This is how I use to do it, I'd watch a video if I liked it enough to keep a copy I'd just go pull it out of the cache afterwords.

I imagine that is still the case, so you see the video is already stored on your disk, most people just don't know it.

GO explore your browsers cache some time, you'll be amazed how many web pages, videos, pictures, and sound files it'll hang onto, most browsers default to several 100mb's worth of cache space.
Old May 23, 2017, 04:10 PM   #70
spacemanspiff

I am not encouraging the violation of copyrights/or the piracy of online media, just mildly curious.

I forget that many youtube video posters do get paid for each view of the videos in their channels. I'm sure I've made many a youtuber rich over the years. Especially those of cute cuddly kittys.