The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old November 14, 2012, 05:34 PM   #1
weblance

Fired Canton, Ohio Patrolman Daniel Harless Gets His Job Back

Well, I think we all knew this would happen, Daniel Harless has his job back as a Canton, Ohio patrolman if he gets medical clearance. If you dont remember, he was the officer who gained worldwide notoriety for threatening to execute a Concealed Handgun Licensee.

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/x21058...s-back-his-job

A link to the original story...

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/x63833...n-police-force

Last edited by weblance; November 14, 2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old November 14, 2012, 07:10 PM   #2
Nathan

This is absolute insanity! So now the story is he was mentaly disabled at the time, but now he's good to go!

They might want to clarify if/when your CCW can be used on a police officer whom is armed, and threatens to kill you.
Old November 14, 2012, 07:53 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

First link says the story can't be found. I suspect there must have been quite a reaction ...
Old November 14, 2012, 07:58 PM   #4
Warrior1256

I saw the video in question and a second one involving the same officer. This is insane!!!
Old November 14, 2012, 08:05 PM   #5
Davey

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/x21058...s-back-his-job

Fixed link
Old November 14, 2012, 08:19 PM   #6
Patriot86

This right here and the Abbate case in Chicago are prime examples of why the general public has an increasingly poor view of LEO's.

Its a shame that a few bad apples ruin it for all but this type of stuff will just continue to erode the public trust.
Old November 14, 2012, 09:31 PM   #7
weblance

Thanks Davey
Old November 14, 2012, 09:47 PM   #8
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

From the story:

Quote:
Harless’ attorney indicated his client is unlikely to seek his old job, at least for now. He has been receiving workers’ compensation and has applied for a disability retirement pension.

But Harless now has the right to be back on the job, according to arbitrator Harry Graham.
I'd wager that if Harless gets his retirement, he won't be back.
Old November 15, 2012, 12:29 PM   #9
Stressfire

These idiots are going to get someone killed.

Since no one is willing to make this out of control "officer" take responsibility for his actions and accept any consequences, hopefully he will just take his monthly check and go away quietly.
Old November 15, 2012, 01:51 PM   #10
Woody55

Disgraceful.
Old November 15, 2012, 02:10 PM   #11
nate45

When the story first broke, many of us said his union would support him and he'd keep his job, or get full benefits.

I suppose looking at it from the other side, it could be argued as stress related, or something, IF it was the only instance, but this guy has the wrong temperament to be a policeman. I know some of the best policemen in the USA, they are calm, cool, collected individuals that people respect and admire. No, this goes way beyond my opinion, or Daniel Harless's opinions on firearms. I hope that at the very least, they keep him on a probation for a long time. I'm not against second chances and I believe people can change. If he ever, ever treats someone like that again though, even if its the worst criminal on Earth, he should be permanently fired with loss of benefits. I doubt they'll do it though and I doubt he'll change. I hope we don't hear of him murdering someone someday.
Old November 15, 2012, 03:22 PM   #12
Romeo 33 Delta

Am I the only one who hear's the fat lady singing ... or just saw Satan fly by on a set of ice skates?
Old November 15, 2012, 04:54 PM   #13
Conn. Trooper

What was his medical condition? PTSD? Do I remember that from the original story? Mental illness? I'm not seeing it in the story.
Old November 15, 2012, 05:33 PM   #14
YARDDOG(1)

That's just more reason to vote OUT unions IMO

Y/D
Old November 15, 2012, 07:05 PM   #15
mhuxtable

Remind me never to drive through on Ohio next time we travel....that decision is ludicrous.
Old November 15, 2012, 07:15 PM   #16
ClydeFrog

Sanford FL police department....

Sanford Florida's PD(the lead LE agency in the Trevon Martin incident) has a long history of problems & fraud/waste/abuse.

In one recent incident, a Sanford PD patrol officer got his police job back after claiming he wasn't given fair treatment by the city & civil service officals. A federal ruling gave him nearly $100,000.00(pay, legal costs, lost wages, etc).
The Sanford PD fired the patrol officer for repeatedly making racist remarks during traffic stops with citizens while on duty.

It irks me when public service employees skate by but in the private sector you can be fired or "seperated" for any # of lame reasons.

CF
Old November 15, 2012, 07:44 PM   #17
PPKman

not over

We're going to hear more about this guy. Still hope no one gets hurt.
Old November 15, 2012, 10:08 PM   #18
weblance

Quote:
Remind me never to drive through on Ohio next time we travel....
Its not an Ohio problem. Ohio is very progressive when it comes to gun laws, and attitude. I am proud to call Ohio home. This was an incident that happened because an officer went too far, and in no way is a wide spread attitude of Law Enforcement here in Ohio.
Old November 15, 2012, 10:15 PM   #19
jimbob86

Quote:
Ohio is very progressive
Progressivism is the idea that with the right people in charge, progress can be made through Government...... a foolish notion, I think, in that those who will not govern themselves will not be governed by anyone else, either.
Old November 16, 2012, 01:26 PM   #20
hermannr

Well, I don't know..in march of 2006 Spokane Police Sgt Karl Thompson beat Otto Zehm to death...and Otto wasn't even doing anything wrong, just getting a soda and snickers at a convenience store. Oh yes, Otto was as the news put it "mentally disabled"...I don't know why they didn't just say he was "Downs"...He worked as a janitor, at least he was a contributing member of society, not a parasite

Yesterday, over 6 1/2 years later, and over a year after a federal court convicted Karl Thompson of the use of excessive force, he was finally cuffed and taken off to serve 51 MONTHS in in federal pen...for beating death of Otto Zehm! 51 months! First put in cuffs after 6 1/2 years?

Worse than that, most? of the SPD don't think he did anything wrong. One guy said Otto Zehm had "no respect"! So, in this guys view, a police officer can murder a person, shoot (as Seattle's Ian Birk did) or beat to death (Karl Thompson) anyone..they can be judge, jury and executioner, no appeals available, summery punishment for "contempt of cop". That is why the system is sick.

BTW: if you are suffering from PSD is it legal to possess a firearm???
Old November 16, 2012, 03:47 PM   #21
Jim March

Quote:
BTW: if you are suffering from PSD is it legal to possess a firearm???
That's a damned good question right there.
Old November 16, 2012, 06:43 PM   #22
Double Naught Spy

Probably not unless...

Quote:
Under the United States Code, Chapter 44, which covers “Firearms”, it is illegal and a federal felony “. . . if person has been adjudicated as a mentally defective or has been committed to any mental institution” for he or she to possess a firearm.
He probably hasn't been adjudicated as mentally defective or committed to any mental institution. Note that volunary treatments don't count for being committed.
Old November 16, 2012, 08:06 PM   #23
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Speaking as a veteran ... don't even start with the PTSD bit. There has been a lot of talk among certain circles over the past year or three about automatically barring anyone diagnosed with or treated for PTSD from firearms ownership -- FOR LIFE. Considering that a comparatively huge percentage of veterans returning from the sandboxes these days either have PTSD or probably have symptoms and haven't been diagnosed, this would be a terrible thing.

There's nothing wrong with the rules as they currently stand. Harless is a loose cannon. As far as I'm concerned, he has already had his second chance -- the incident that cost him his job was not the first time he threatened a citizen. The real issue about Harless and PTSD is that people with active cases of PTSD probably shouldn't be police officers, because being a police officer in some areas is a high-stress occupation.
Old November 17, 2012, 01:28 PM   #24
Stressfire

Quote:
Remind me never to drive through on Ohio next time we travel....that decision is ludicrous.
Hey, now....some of us have to live here

Quote:
Speaking as a veteran ... don't even start with the PTSD bit.
That really would be a poor door to open. Medical community is already too involved - a la, "Do you have any weapons at home" on intake forms or asked in person.

Quote:
The real issue about Harless and PTSD is that people with active cases of PTSD probably shouldn't be police officers, because being a police officer in some areas is a high-stress occupation.
Bingo
Old November 17, 2012, 02:21 PM   #25
44 AMP
Staff

Also, if there is ANYTHING in your life that has ever caused you stress (and that can include the death of your beloved Grandma when you were 8, for example), AND there is ANYTHING in your life (attitude, social behavior, physical appearance, etc...) that falls even a tiny bit outside what the evaluator considers "normal", AND taking no account of whether or not this "abnormality" is in any way harmful to anyone, you can be classed as "suffering from PTSD".

To give an extreme example, if you are a veteran (because after all, ANY military service, ever is stressful) and you didn't vote for Obama (which, clearly any and every safe and sane person would have done), then, in the evaluators opinion, you are a dangerously stressed PTSD "victim" and should NEVER have ANY access to ANY dangerous weapon. Sharp kitchen knives and matches included!

Without meaning to paint all with the same broad brush, there ARE people in the mental health industry with their own biases and agendas. If you happen get into a situation where one of them is your "evaluator", you can be in for a lot of trouble, no matter who you are, or what you have, or have not done.