geetarman

Quote:
Shootin is fun once again!
As it should be!!!

Carpe Cerveza
Old November 11, 2012, 11:18 AM   #27
douggamm

MOA improvement.

Went out and shot again by myself today and got some good trigger time in without distractions. Used my latest worked up rnds I posted earlier and my best group of 5 was a .5MOA. A couple went thru the same hole.
Old November 14, 2012, 09:23 PM   #28
douggamm

Looking for a really good projectile for my 308 rem700 for hunting white tails here in West Michigan. Got my hand loads with 36gr imr4895 and 168gr sierra MK's hpbt down to .5 moa. Lookin for a good hunting rnd now. Any suggestions and or tips?
Old November 14, 2012, 11:05 PM   #29
emcon5

I am a big fan of the Sierra 150gr Spitzer boat tail.

Very accurate for a hunting bullet.
Old November 15, 2012, 12:44 AM   #30
fatwhiteboy

.5" groups is great. I have an SPS in .308. I use 168gr SMK's over 42gr of 4350. What is your trigger like? Mine was mushy and never really broke clean. I put in a Timney trigger adjusted down to 2.5 pounds of pull. Clean and crisp.
Old December 1, 2012, 10:09 PM   #31
tinkersdelight

Great post.

New to this forum -lots of good stuff here.
Just started loading for my Rem 700 sps Varmit.
So far the best thing cooked up was 168 gr Hornaday HPBT with 44.5 grs of Varget. shoots very well, looking forward to more loads. great info here.
Old December 2, 2012, 04:31 AM   #32
Rob96

I have the ADL version of this rifle. It is a run that Remington does for Dick's. With the 26" tube and myhandload of 168gr SMK's and 44grs. of RL-15 I was averaging .655moa. I had the barrel cut down to 20" with a recessed target crown and the groups have decreased. The norm now is .55moa but I was able to achieve a 10shot group of .65moa.
Old December 2, 2012, 11:36 AM   #33
Colorado308shooter

Yesterday I shot a 5/8" (5) shot group at 100 yards with my Remington 700 SPS Tactical, with Remington UMC 150 grain ammo!

I shot 3 more groups with my handload's, 168 grain HPBT's with 44.5 grains of IMR-4895, they all shot under an inch! I'm very pleased with this rifle!
Old October 24, 2013, 03:49 PM   #34
byronick87

hi guys,

im new to the firing line and this is literally my first post.

this is just my experience:

i bought a 700 sps varmint with 26" from bass pro this past May and I loved the feel of it.

initially, even with factory premium ammo, i could not get it to group under 10" @175 yrds - painful

after doing a bedding job, and buying a reloading die for it, it tightened up a little bit to around 6" at 175 yrds but thats still terrible - especially for handloads.

i then went all out at figured that if i ruin the stock, i can just have an excuse to buy a nice BC or HS precision.

I bought a 5' long aluminum I beam from RONA for ~15$, a two part epoxy enough for 10 bedding jobs for another $15.

after removing all the internal plastic reinforcement inside the stock and channeling out the forend for the barrell contour, i put the aluminum bars in the forend of the stock and literally FILLED it to the top with epoxy.

i then proceeded to fully bed the action to about 1" in front of the lug nut.

verdict

a fully free floated r 700 sps varmint

i took it to the range the next day and i shot sub moa at 100yrds all day - no matter what load i had for it.

i rang a metal plate out at 380 yards shot after shot until my ammunition ran out.

its hard to find any reloading components in canada right now for some reason so i didnt have much selection on powder.
after a few weeks of trial and error, i found my 700 liked speer 168 gr HPBT backed by right on the dot 41 gr of AA2230 and cci 200 primers winchester or federal brass never did much of a difference.

end of the day, if the load mentioned above consistently rings the gong at 380 yrds, im happy and for $45 (15 for the epoxy, 15 for the aluminum re-bar, and 15 for the 6 pack) and a solid saturday evening, I found myself an awesome target/tactical rifle for a deal!!!

hope this post helps anyone looking to improve their groupings ( and their love for this slowly dieing brand)

-B
Old October 26, 2013, 11:39 AM   #35
cw308

Douggamm I agree with most that 44gr. is high for IMR4895 for accuracy, must of the time mid to low range for powder charge is best. As for cleaning, how many rounds are you shooting. I use a wet and dry patch for every round I fire that day. My cleaner is Wipe-out Patch-out works great & no odor. I'm old school, I always clean after shooting, only need 3 foul shots to get the rifle to start grouping,for hunting it's alittle different, hunters may fire 5 rounds to zero before a hunt so the next round fired when hunting should be very close, for hunting a lightly fouled barrel is OK, in one season they my shoot 10 rounds, and put it away for next year. In benchrest shooting you fire 28 rounds at a session. a hunting rifle will last forever if maintained properly, a benchrest rifle, will most likely have a new barrel installed due to the amount of rounds down the tube. Also after cleaning you lightly oil, just remember to clean the oil out before shooting , oil in a barrel will form a varnish in the barrel.In reloading use the same make casings, federal cases are thicker so lower your powder charge 1 grain to start, than work up. With Remington barrels like ours, the have alot of free bore so trying to get close to the lands may not help. With match rounds like blackhills they are 2.800 OAL but they seem to shoot great in most rifles, it has to due with the right powder charge , just slowly increase .03 grains at a time with the same powder & bullet till you find the sweet spot. hope I helped chris

Last edited by cw308; October 26, 2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old October 27, 2013, 05:15 PM   #36
dodge

My 700 VLS in 223 shoots it's best when the bore is fouled. I don't clean it until the accuracy falls off or it's winter and I'm not shooting it a lot. I have a Winchester 70 sporter in 308 and I found that it likes 44 grs Reloader 15 and a Sierra 150 BTSP.