The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 6, 2012, 03:05 PM   #1
acmagnum1

S&W M&P 22lr pistol

I'm thinking about picking up a 22lr pistol. I have researched several models and have pretty much decided on the M&P . I would love to hear from some members who own a M&P 22lr pistol and tell me about their experiences with it, good and bad, pros and con on the pistol. At this point hearing from some owners of the pistol would help with my final decision. Thank you.
Sig P232 Stainless 380 ACP
Old October 6, 2012, 05:37 PM   #2
whippoorwill

Good solid pistol. We probably should be hearing more about it, but the Ruger SR22 gets most of the press. The M&P is a larger pistol, but still lightweight. The slide pulls back super easy, which should be attractive to folks with weaker grip strength. Good accuracy, and has fired everything I feed it. Very easy to take down and clean. I'm not crazy about the trigger, but then I base all triggers on the 1911. All in all, no negatives. As you may be aware, although it's sold by S&W, it's made by Walther.
Old October 6, 2012, 05:47 PM   #3
jasmith85

I bought one for my girlfriend in early summer and it has been perfect. Its only had a few hundred rounds through it but it hasn't had a single issue. It'll even fire the bulk ammo without a problem which I was very surprised with. It is made by Walther like the above poster said, but since it has Smith & Wesson's name on it it is covered by their great warranty and customer service.
Old October 6, 2012, 07:06 PM   #4
Seven High

What kind of accuracy can a buyer expect from the M&P 22? They are on sale in my area for $330.00 plus tax.
Old October 6, 2012, 09:12 PM   #5
USMCGrunt

Oh, maybe something like this?

Yeah, I know, I should have adjusted the sights first. Anyways, CCI mini-mags at 15 meters fired from a prone position.
Old October 7, 2012, 06:43 PM   #6
whippoorwill

Good shooting USMCGrunt!

Seven High... your mileage may vary.

A recent magazine article on the M&P 22 suggested that accuracy was not one of its strong points, but the author admitted that it might be in part due to his aging eyes. I haven't yet managed the accuray in the above photo, but I believe the pistol is capable.
Old October 7, 2012, 07:17 PM   #7
Rmart30

i picked up a M&P 22 a while back for a full size trainer and im very pleased with it.
Old October 8, 2012, 09:45 PM   #8
Rifleman1952

I've owned one for a few months now. I have fired 500 rounds of Winchester 40 gr Copperplated HP and have had no issues or problems. At 25 ft I can consistently hit 2" groups. It's easy to take down and has a nice feel to it for a .22. It's a great target or plinking gun. I consider it a superb trainer, in that it mimics the feel of typical larger caliber polymer pistols. It's reliable and accurate enough for most purposes. I highly recommend this gun to anyone looking for a quality .22 pistol.
Old October 8, 2012, 10:28 PM   #9
acmagnum1

Thanks for all the responses. At this point I feel very confident in picking one up. I heard that finding spare mags are tuff, hope not. What's the going price for NIB? I think from all that I have read the MP 22 for a full size 22 pistol is a very good choice. Hope I can find new one for a fair price. Thanks again guys for all the comments and advice.
Sig P232 Stainless 380 ACP
Old October 8, 2012, 10:54 PM   #10
Captains1911

I bought it because of it's size. My Walther P22 feels like a child's toy in my hands, and the Ruger SR22 is similar in size. The M&P has the feel of a full-size pistol, which is what I wanted. My only complaint is it only comes with one mag and the mags are very expensive.
Old October 9, 2012, 10:22 AM   #11
USMCGrunt

Well, I got mine on sale at the PX at F.E. Warren for $336 out the door (usual price is $366) so that was a pretty good price. The local fun store here in town has one for $420 so I'd say that anywhere between these two prices is what you would be looking at.
As far as magazines go, I have no idea what in thee hell S&W was thinking shipping these pistols with only one magazine?!?!? This pistol is so much fun to shoot that 12 rounds goes through pretty quickly then you are left standing there like some kind of f'ed up Barney Fife pulling ammo out of your pockets to reload the magazine! However, Midway to the rescue in my case. They are out of the 12 round magazines but I did order a couple of the 10 round magazines for $26.99 each.
Now of course I live in a free state so the idea of ordering a 10-round mag sounds pretty silly. However, when you take them apart for cleaning, you will find on the detent plate is a removeable spacer. Remove this and now you have a normal 12-round magazine rather than a nuetered 10-rounder. Now if you live in an oppressed and depressed state and have yet to rent that U-haul for a 1-way trip out of these hell holes, DO NOT think this is an easy way to get around the laws of the state. This is illegal according to the laws of der state and doing this will get you a 1-way trip to their gulag!!! What this limited does do however, is to give the guy living behind the Tofu or Kennedy curtains a way to go back to standard magazine capacity once they make it to the other side of the wire without having to rebuy standard capacity magazines again. It also gives the mentally insane that are moving into these areas (what the F are they thinking! ) the ability of brining their standard capacity magazines into these areas by installing a limiter and thereby nuetering their 12-round capacity magazines down to 10 rounds.