The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 27, 2011, 05:49 PM   #1
jondalton007

Help Identifing a BP Pistol

I recently inherited this pistol and it would be very helpfull if anyone could help me identify it and offer up some info. I Know nothing about it so, any info will help. The third pic I uploaded is the only marking on the gun that I could find and I dont know what it means. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Full Pistol 1.jpg (233.9 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg Close Up 2.jpg (235.2 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Marking 3.jpg (236.7 KB, 112 views)
Old February 27, 2011, 05:54 PM   #2
Hawg

It looks to be a dueling pistol. The ELG is a Belgian black powder proof.
Old February 28, 2011, 06:30 AM   #3
kadima

It's a really nice dueling pistol. From the third picture the barrell looks like damascus steel or is a strange striping from the blueing?

Is it smoothbore or rifled?

And, the trigger seems to be a set one, could you confirm?

K.
Old February 28, 2011, 08:47 AM   #4
jaguarxk120

Also what is the caliber/bore size.

It could be a parlor pistol. Guns that were used for indoor target shooting.

If it was a dueler, then the mate to it is gone and case/loading tools.
Old February 28, 2011, 09:26 AM   #5
Jim Watson

I'd call it a target pistol.
A back action percussion lock is pretty late for a dueler and set triggers were frowned on in Society. Might tempt somebody to take aim at his opponent instead of pointing out the fast shot. And who in Society would use a Belgian gun instead of one from the fine makers in London or Paris?
Old February 28, 2011, 08:17 PM   #6
jondalton007

It is a smoothbore, and it is .50-.60cal? I dont know exactly but it fit a 50 cal bullet and had room to spare.

-Im sorry for the lack of knowedge I have but I dont know what you mean by set trigger.
Old February 28, 2011, 08:35 PM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
I dont know what you mean by set trigger.
It means the sear is adjustable to lighten trigger pull.
Old February 28, 2011, 08:37 PM   #8
Hawg

Quote:
I'd call it a target pistol.
If it's a target pistol where's the sights? The back action lock appeared in 1830.
Old February 28, 2011, 08:57 PM   #9
jondalton007

It has some pretty small sights on the barrel. It may be hard to see them due to the quality of the image. All I have avalible to take pics Is my phone.
Old February 28, 2011, 09:00 PM   #10
jondalton007

Oh sorry its not he quality of the pic. The sights are hidden by the barrel because of the angle of the pic. I do not have access to the gun right now but next week I can post a picture including the sights.
Old March 1, 2011, 04:35 AM   #11
gyvel

The ELG Belgian "pineapple" proof dates to no earlier than 1893. Your gun was most likely an inexpensive item when it was new, and probably came from one of the myriad of small job shops in and around Liege. A Belgian gun made by a well-known maker would have the maker's name on it.
Old March 1, 2011, 03:21 PM   #12
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadima
And, the trigger seems to be a set one, could you confirm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondalton007
-Im sorry for the lack of knowedge I have but I dont know what you mean by set trigger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Haggen
It means the sear is adjustable to lighten trigger pull.
Since Kadima asked if it was a set trigger and not if was adjustable, I disagree with Hawg Haggen's explanation of what a set trigger is.

A set trigger is not the same as an adjustable trigger. A set trigger is either single set or double set and functions as described below. Being an adjustable trigger is distinct from being a set trigger. Many set triggers are adjustable but not all adjustable triggers are set triggers.

So Kadima's question remains whether that single trigger will move forward so that it can be set or not?

Quote:
Set trigger

A set trigger allows a shooter to have a greatly reduced trigger pull (the resistance of the trigger) while maintaining a degree of safety in the field. There are two types: Single Set and Double Set.

Single set trigger

A Single Set Trigger is usually one trigger that may be fired with a conventional amount of trigger pull weight or may be 'set' by usually pushing forward on the trigger. This takes up the creep in the trigger and allows the shooter to enjoy a much lighter trigger pull.

Double set trigger

As above, a double set trigger accomplishes the same thing, but uses two triggers: one sets the trigger and the other fires the weapon. Set triggers are most likely to be seen on customized weapons and competition rifles where a light trigger pull is beneficial to accuracy.

Double set triggers can be further classified by phase.[4] A double set, single phase trigger can only be operated by first pulling the set trigger, and then pulling the firing trigger. A double set, double phase trigger can be operated as a standard trigger if the set trigger is not pulled, or as a set trigger by first pulling the set trigger. Double set, double phase triggers offer the versatility of both a standard trigger and a set trigger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger_(firearms)

Last edited by arcticap; March 1, 2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old March 1, 2011, 05:40 PM   #13
Hawg

Quote:
I disagree with Hawg Haggen's explanation of what a set trigger is.
Yep, you're right.
Old March 1, 2011, 07:32 PM   #14
Kadmos

That straight trigger looks like it is both a set trigger and appears to have a little adjustment screw. It's not a dueling pistol. Sounds too big for a parlor pistol. I would guess target. Seems to me they made a lot of pistols that were mostly meant to be somewhat decorative but still reasonable budget shooters. Like something a person might give as a gift
Old March 1, 2011, 08:42 PM   #15
rdstrain49

It looks to me like the lines (profile) are reminiscent of a LePage.
Old March 1, 2011, 09:04 PM   #16
Jim Watson

Yes, but a real Le Page was made in France, not Belgium.

Most set triggers have an adjusting screw. Unless they are "secret hair triggers" q.v. Hamilton-Burr duel.
Old March 1, 2011, 10:08 PM   #17
sewerman

yeah i thought the same thing ......a lePage.

pedrosoli makes two dualing / target pistols that look very close to the photos.

maybe an earlier model which has been discontinued or maybe an earlier pistol made in belgium when they imported guns or a real antique......?

looks nice regardless.

s.m.

"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety!" Benjamin franklin

The Armed Citizen PREVENTS tyranny!

Tags
black , cal , pistol , powder