The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 24, 2004, 08:58 AM   #1
diablero

Newbie rust question

Hi all,

Got a small spot of rust on the blued finish of a piece this humid summer despite oiling. What's the best way to remove it? Thanks.

Diablero
Old August 24, 2004, 09:19 AM   #2
mete

Very light rust can be removed with fine, oooo,steel wool and oil.Heavy rust requires polishing off the rust and rebluing.
Old August 24, 2004, 05:25 PM   #3
Cris

Flitz!
Old August 24, 2004, 05:39 PM   #4
Quartus

If it's light surface rust, a good hard rubbing with a rag and some oil may be all you need. Start with that, then go to the above suggestions.

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old August 26, 2004, 12:02 AM   #5
Handy

Copper scrub pad (kitchen stuff) and oil. The copper is not as tough as the blue and won't hurt it, but will remove the rust. Then use a copper bore solvent to remove the copper.

This is much less aggressive than steel wool. I would suggest you try it first.
Old October 1, 2004, 10:11 PM   #6
vertigo7

Quote:
Copper scrub pad (kitchen stuff) and oil. The copper is not as tough as the blue and won't hurt it, but will remove the rust. Then use a copper bore solvent to remove the copper.

This is much less aggressive than steel wool. I would suggest you try it first.
Once again my sanity is saved by TFL. I got home from work and pulled my P3AT out of a brand new leather holster, only to find rust all up and down the surface of the slide. I had some ChoreBoy left over from cleaning the cylinders of my .357mag wheelie, and it cleaned the P3AT wonderfully. Thanks.
One Sharps .52-caliber buffalo rifle. One Remington .45 120 rolling block. One Henry repeater rifle. Smaller caliber, but impressive rate of fire. One eight-gauge Remington, Derringer. One L.C. Smith 10-gauge stub twist coach gun. And this! A two-inch bore punt gun!"
--Hiram Gummer, Tremors 4
Old October 2, 2004, 12:46 AM   #7
mikikanazawa

I had some rust show up on the barrel hood of my Kahr K9 when it was new. After that, I asked around for methods of prevention. What I do now after cleaning a gun is douse it in BreakFree, and then wipe down thorougly so that the gun is coated but not wet. This method has worked wonderfully for me, and I dare say has reduced visible wear on my guns. (I used to shoot them dripping with oil - geezer told me that grit sticks to the oil and accelerates wear.)
Old October 17, 2004, 01:05 PM   #8
Wallew

GUYS, use SCOTCHBRITE pads. Come in multiple grits (each colored differently) and in different sizes and thickness. IT WILL take care of ALL SORTS of minor imperfections.

AND THEY ARE CHEAP.
Old October 17, 2004, 08:59 PM   #9
Handy

DO NOT USE SCOTCHBITE PADS! The are more abbrasive than steel wool an will remove bluing.
Old October 19, 2004, 12:29 AM   #10
Wallew

Given the myriad pads available for Scotch-brite cloths, this is NOT TRUE. UNLESS you go into the GROCERY STORE and buy one made to scrub pots and pans.

MSC Industrial Supply Inc (machine shop supplier) lists eleven types of Scoth-Brite pads (one for mild - will not mar glass, ceramic, fine china, PORCELAIN, TEFLON, SILVERSTONE or formica surfaces - that Light duty #63 - will certainly NOT HARM your blued surface).

Scotch-Brite also makes High Performance Cloths that I like better than their Cleaning Pads - considerably more expensive ($6 vs $2) BUT much softer than even the #63 listed above. They use microfiber structure reduces and sometimes eliminates the need for cleaning solutions.

There are others that will take the paint off a battleship. BUT, if you know WHICH one you need AND HOW TO USE IT, these things are the best thing since sliced bread.

Finally, ASSUMING YOU DO REMOVE SOME FINISH accidentally from your BLUED firearm, use either 'Perma Blue' or 'Aluminum Black' (my choice) made by Birchwood. Use a Q-tip to apply until you are satisfied with the results.
Old October 19, 2004, 02:53 PM   #11
PKAY

For very light rust or corrosion I use a couple of drops of Kroil on a Q-Tip and rub it. Works pretty well. I used Flitz once on a Python barrel with a small corrosive pit. It worked great! Except it took the blue right off with the corrosion.
Old October 19, 2004, 05:27 PM   #12
Handy

Wallew,

Wouldn't it have been helpful to post a specific recommendation of what type of Scotchbrite pad WON'T scrape up your gun instead of what you did post. Your first post would have screwed up some guns as most people would have to experiment to find the correct pads. If you want to give advice, I suggest giving all of the advice.

Copper pads avoid this problem.
Old October 19, 2004, 08:56 PM   #13
Desert Dog

The white ultra fine Scotchbrite pads work excellently... I believe they are 600 grit equivalent.

I have not been able to find them on-line though...

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson
Old October 19, 2004, 08:59 PM   #14
Wallew

Handy,
YOU ARE CORRECT. My apologies to all here for NOT being specific. MY FAULT. In my own defense, if you had physically picked up some of the ones made to 'scrape paint off a battleship' you would have know it just by how it felt (about a 50 grit)

I currently use the Scotch Brite Polishing pads.

I use the Blue (76634906), Green(76634914), Red(76634922) and White(76634930) pads. Page 2964 MSC 2003/2004 BIG BOOK catalog.

SORRY ABOUT THAT. I use the WHITE PAD (600+ grit) the most, as it seems the softest TO ME. At $6 a pop, it works wonders. Phone number is 800.645.7270 - they do mail order and can drop ship almost anywhere.