The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 10, 2018, 08:39 AM   #1
Scoits

55gr FMJ bullets

Best place to buy in bulk? Ie by the 1000 or more. Thanks
Old August 10, 2018, 09:09 AM   #2
BBarn

Not sure about the "best place". Wideners and Midsouth Shooters Supply list some for about $80 per 1000 plus shipping. And the offer larger quantities and well.
Old August 10, 2018, 09:34 AM   #3
Dr. Pepper

.224 55gr Hornady FMJ-BT W/C (1000CT) PRE-PACKAGED

sagesreloadingsupply.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=96_117&product_id=239

Very fast shipping too!
Old August 10, 2018, 10:21 AM   #4
RedLeg105

https://223bulkbullets.com/
Old August 10, 2018, 11:45 AM   #5
T. O'Heir

Best to buy components locally. Saves on shipping costs. So where you are matters.
And don't buy anything in bulk until you have worked up the load.
Old August 10, 2018, 03:44 PM   #6
AVirginian

https://www.nereloading.com/index.ph...-5-56-224.html

Try these guys, free shipping too.
Old August 10, 2018, 06:52 PM   #7
Average Joe

American Reloading, sometimes they have pulled LC bullets, and at a good price, and always free shipping.
Old August 10, 2018, 09:26 PM   #8
oley55

Ever Glades Ammo

http://www.evergladesammo.com/bullet...e-bullets.html

Everglades Ammo in Naples Florida. Always free shipping and always unbelievably fast shipping.
Old August 11, 2018, 01:11 AM   #9
hdwhit

Quote:
Centuriator wrote:
I' d respectfully suggest that if you can afford it, forget reloading 5.56 ammo and stick with high quality ammo.
I disagree with that advice.

First, as a handloader/reloader you have much greater control over the load than what was produced at the factory.

Second, the notion that factory ammunition is somehow superior to a good handload seems spurious. For example, I weigh every powder charge to ensure it is (within the limits of my balance) consistent from round to round. I get velocity that varies within 1.7%. I have yet to see factory ammunition with that kind of consistency.

Third, I too am retired and at that point in my life where I don't have to handload in search of a few pennies in savings. I don't handload to try and save money on a commodity cartridge, I handload because 1) I enjoy making everything I shoot, 2) I get greater consistency with my handloads, 3) I can load a round that is not available commercially, and 4) I can also tailor a cheap plinking load to produce the same ballistic performance as I can with my more expensive hunting loads.
Old August 11, 2018, 01:32 AM   #10
hdwhit

A couple of other places I haven't seen mentioned are:
* Rocky Mountain Reloading
* https://www.rmrbullets.com/
and
* American Reloading
* https://americanreloading.com/en/

I've dealt with both of them. I've also dealt with Everglades. They all have good prices, fast shipment and exceptional customer service.
Old August 11, 2018, 01:39 AM   #11
hdwhit

And I almost forgot:
* Reloading Valley
* http://www.reloadingvalley.com

Never had any problem with their bullets. My one problem was with brass that I took to be new, de-militarized brass. I wasn't. I was used, reprocessed brass. They nevertheless gave me a credit. I have done business with them many times since.
Old August 11, 2018, 01:42 AM   #12
hdwhit

Quote:
T. O'Heir wrote:
...don't buy anything in bulk until you have worked up the load.
Actually, I have routinely bought bullets in bulk with the intent of relying on my experience and skill as a handloader to be able to develop a load that would suit my needs. I have yet to be disappointed in this strategy.
Old August 12, 2018, 04:57 PM   #13
2ndtimer

Or you could check Mid-South Shooter's Supply
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...lure-500-count
If you have at least a 1 in 9" twist barrel, I bet you will see better accuracy and flatter shooting at long range with this bullet. And it is not significantly more expensive than the 55 gr bullets.
Old August 12, 2018, 07:17 PM   #14
David R

I bought some Winchester bulk 55 fmjbt for cheap. Rolling the bullet on the table showed they we're not straight.

Check a few before starting.

David

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old August 12, 2018, 08:32 PM   #15
Charlie98

Quote:
I disagree with that advice.
I don't... with a caveat. I don't reload, typically, for 55grn FMJ blasting ammo, the cost metric just doesn't make sense for me when you factor in the time. I DO, however, reload everything besides generic blasting ammo. It just depends on what you are doing with it, what you expect out of it, and what your cost and time limits are. I don't reload for 9mm, either, for the same reasons.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old August 13, 2018, 01:12 AM   #16
Metal god

Quote:
don't buy anything in bulk until you have worked up the load.
In general I agree completely

Quote:
Actually, I have routinely bought bullets in bulk with the intent of relying on my experience and skill as a handloader to be able to develop a load that would suit my needs. I have yet to be disappointed in this strategy.
I also agree and do this as well but it has bit me in the butt a few times . I have 1k 55gr bullets ( 875 now )I bought at the gun show that were garbage and are now put away for when the ZOMBIES come and that was from the big powder and other components dealer . I had bought a few thousand before and since but I could tell these were different and they told me so . I thought meh no big deal they'll load just fine , NOPE . The crimp grooves were inconsistently placed and they just flew like crap . 3 moa was the best I could do with them . There was a 45acp bullet I could not get to fly right and a 147gr 9mm bullet that the manufacture later told me only will expand at 1150+ fps . Well there ain't nobody I know that are pushing there 147gr 9mm pills much faster then 1k-fps so those 1500 bullets turned into plinking bullets real fast .

Except for those 55gr .224 bullets I went ahead and loaded them all up or am still loading them . That does not mean in hindsight I wished I never bought those bullets .

As for the OP , those everglades bullets look like a good deal but I've not shot there .224 bullets . I did just buy and have been testing there 38/357 bullets and so far like them .

The best price I've found next to the gunshow and those Everglades is these 55gr Hornady bullets ( the link may not be working ) You may need to hunt through the website . The websites name is Monmotheloading.com
http://www.monmouthreloading.com/?fi...llet-style=fmj

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; August 13, 2018 at 03:41 PM.