The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old August 12, 2017, 09:00 PM   #1
TruthTellers

What's your opinion on this Lee press?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/80...le-stage-press

I've been reloading for a while now with a Lee hand press and it works fine, I don't have a problem sizing or seating bullets with it, but because it's a hand press, I can't use a powder measure with the mouth flaring die.

It doesn't seem this is a press that gets a lot of attention, most loaders I know use an "O" frame and not the "C" frame, but they mostly load for rifle cartridges, so I can understand wanting a more rigid and stable press.

I plan to use this "C" press to flare the mouth of cases and charge with powder. In the future I may use this press with the Lee Lube and Size kits and also a universal decapping die.

I'd just like to hear from others their experience with this press and whether or not an "O" frame press is a better press. Currently, I don't have space to mount a press besides this small "C" frame press Lee makes.
Old August 12, 2017, 09:17 PM   #2
std7mag

I'm currently looking into one of these also, to do case forming.
I expect a lot of flack to come about the "C" style flexing.
My opinion, if your flexing that reloader to any great extent, your doing something way wrong!
Old August 12, 2017, 09:28 PM   #3
Stats Shooter

Quote:
Currently, I don't have space to mount a press besides this small "C" frame press Lee makes.
You could swap presses as you need them and not leave them mounted all the time.

As for "C" presses. If all I was doing was decapping or flairing case mouths on it, it would probably be ok.... except some crimped primers might be a bit too much for it over time. The frame is less concerning too me than the linkages for any serious work.

Also, I don't think that the footprint of a rock chucker is very big. I have 3 of them.
Mounting Surface Depth = 3 5/8″
Mounting Surface Width = 4 1/2″
Total Depth = 6 3/8″
Total Width = 4 1/2″
Width Between Mounting Bolts (Center to Center) = 3″
Min clearance below mounted surface = 8 1/2

The mounting bracket for the breach Lock looks at least as wide as a rock chucker or big boss. If cost matters, the Lee classic cast is what my brother uses for his single stage press, you can probably get a used full frame single stage press for $125 or so.

It's just that I think that press is limited, no swaging, no case forming, and I'm not sure about the durability .

But a good rock chucker, big boss, or even classic cast will last a lifetime probably.

Quote:
I expect a lot of flack to come about the "C" style flexing.
My opinion, if your flexing that reloader to any great extent, your doing something way wrong!
Ignorant statement. If it works for you, and what you are doing, fine. But assuming press flex implies improper technique means you haven't done any case forming or bullet swaging... because this process stresses the frame and linkages.

Last edited by Stats Shooter; August 12, 2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old August 12, 2017, 09:34 PM   #4
snakeye

I started out reloading years ago with this press and eventually went to a Lee Ram Prime and other small jobs. It is still an important tool on my reloading bench.
Old August 12, 2017, 09:45 PM   #5
roashooter

its a fine press for light...low count reloading. and its the cheapest press I see at Midways site.
but ya get what ya pay for....my RCBS (cast iron) circa 1972....which has seen continuous use since then...still is as tight and straight as the day I took it out of the box

Last edited by roashooter; August 12, 2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old August 12, 2017, 09:49 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

My opinion:

Crap press.
Poorly designed.
Needs modification just to work properly (primer catch, in particular).
Doesn't stand up to heavy use with large cartridges.

I have one that is a dedicated press for decapping nasty range brass before cleaning. Rather than get mud, gravel, grit, and other nastiness in/on a good press, I clamp the modified Reloader in the vise and let it get chewed up by the garbage that's being kept far away from the reloading bench.
My father bent one about 15 degrees by reloading .338 WM.

For flaring case mouths and other light tasks, you should be fine.
But don't pay full price. It isn't worth regular price. Wait for a rebate, sale, clearance ... something.

(Before it was modified.)
Old August 12, 2017, 09:55 PM   #7
JoeSixpack

I don't reload and have no experience with that press but I have researched lee presses a bit and I'll probably go with lee load masters when I get into reloading.

The press you linked is cast aluminum rather then cast iron.. some have complained this causes it to wear at the ram.

A lot of people will use that press for universal primer decaping.
I don't see anything wrong with teh press it's definatley not as strong as some other ones out there but the price is right.

Honestly though I'd wonder why you would wanna move to a single stage and not a progressive?
Old August 12, 2017, 10:06 PM   #8
roashooter

Quote:
I don't reload and have no experience with that press but I have researched lee presses a bit and I'll probably go with lee load masters when I get into reloading.

Quote:
Honestly though I'd wonder why you would wanna move to a single stage and not a progressive?

NO experience....but gives advice
Old August 12, 2017, 10:21 PM   #9
JoeSixpack

I admitted I do not reload yet, That does not mean I know nothing.
I said I researched lee presses quite a bit and Im just reporting what I learned.

Or would you rather I pretend I know everything about everything like half the people on the internet?

I never misrepresent what I know or don't know.

The 2nd part is a question.

What is so shocking about what I said?, Please.. Pick it apart if you can.
Old August 12, 2017, 10:56 PM   #10
TruthTellers

Don't bother Joe, that's just the way ROAshooter is.

But to answer your question, I don't have the space to set up a bench to mount a progressive or a Lee turret press. I can rig something up to mount this Lee press though and the only reason I'm interested in this press is to charge cases during the reloading sequence and other stuff I mentioned in the first post.

I could use a bench mounted measure, but for the money and considering I'm going to buy a Lee Auto Drum measure for the Lee Classic Turret press in the future, a press I don't have room for currently but in the future will, I figure it's not a bad idea to buy another single stage press and the Auto Drum powder measure now and familiarize myself with its operation now.
Old August 12, 2017, 11:05 PM   #11
TruthTellers

ROA, thank you for the substantive post. I hear what you are saying, it is a cheap press and you know I like that, but if I had the room to mount a cast iron "O" frame press, I would not have a problem parting with the extra money.

But then, if I did have the room to do it, I would buy a Lee turret press.

For flaring pistol cases, universal decapping, and maybe... MAYBE sizing in the future, I can't think of lighter reloading operations than those.
Old August 12, 2017, 11:09 PM   #12
Stats Shooter

Well Truth,

At least the price isn't something you will have serious buyers remorse over.
Im getting a Lee Turret myself in the future, I'm not a "Lee Hater" . But if I just wanted a small and compact single stage press, I would consider the rcbs summit.

Obviously disregard though if cost is an important consideration . But if quality and Compact are what you want, the summit is a good press
Old August 12, 2017, 11:10 PM   #13
JoeSixpack

Im not sure if this would help, The reviews generally seem good for people who have limited space.

But have you seen the reloading stand?
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...eloading-stand

It's pictured with a single stage press but It says it comes with a plate for mounting all lee presses.

It looks likes it's compact enough to tuck away in a corner.. maybe a closet?
Old August 12, 2017, 11:19 PM   #14
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSixpack View Post
Im not sure if this would help, The reviews generally seem good for people who have limited space.

But have you seen the reloading stand?
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...eloading-stand

It's pictured with a single stage press but It says it comes with a plate for mounting all lee presses.

It looks likes it's compact enough to tuck away in a corner.. maybe a closet?
Yes, I'm familiar with that stand and actually considered buying it for the C frame Lee press until I realized a cheap bookcase I have will work just fine after I bolt the press to some 1x2 wood board and mount that the bookcase with clamps.

I'd still consider that stand for the Turret press, but I feel it's a cop out and it doesn't give me the space like a table or full fledged reloading bench would, nor the rigidity.

EDIT: On second thought, let me think about that stand more.

Last edited by TruthTellers; August 12, 2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old August 12, 2017, 11:26 PM   #15
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi View Post
Well Truth,

At least the price isn't something you will have serious buyers remorse over.
Im getting a Lee Turret myself in the future, I'm not a "Lee Hater" . But if I just wanted a small and compact single stage press, I would consider the rcbs summit.

Obviously disregard though if cost is an important consideration . But if quality and Compact are what you want, the summit is a good press
I'm sure it's a good press, but I can't part with that money to facilitate faster and easier reloading for a temporary living situation. Within the next year, I'll likely be living somewhere I can have a true reloading bench and mount a Foster Co-ax press or Pacific shotshell press to.

I'd rather go cheap now, still have a usable press in the future for light duty operations, and spend the extra $170 on another press in the future.
Old August 13, 2017, 12:02 AM   #16
roashooter

Quote:
What is so shocking about what I said?, Please.. Pick it apart if you can.

nevermind......I would have to explain it farther

Quote:
perhaps you can tell TT why a progressive is better than a single stage

Last edited by roashooter; August 13, 2017 at 12:39 AM.
Old August 13, 2017, 01:26 AM   #17
JoeSixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by roashooter View Post

perhaps you can tell TT why a progressive is better than a single stage
nevermind......I would have to explain it further.
Old August 13, 2017, 07:28 AM   #18
jmorris

I have one, they collect primers inside themselves, so I made another base it bolts to with a hose out the bottom. You are either going to need that or a quick detach mount so you can take it off and dump it out.

It also has no priming system or locking detent for the bushing and isn't going to be as strong as the challenger press that is better in just about every way.

They are cheap used and you can't have one of everything without one. However, if you have room for one, you have to acknowledge that you have room for the better "O" press as well. If it was the C press or a hand held though, I'd pick the bench mount.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (132.9 KB, 871 views)

Last edited by jmorris; August 13, 2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old August 13, 2017, 07:36 AM   #19
jmorris

And no need to knock the Lee presses, that challenger is right next to a Forster co-ax and I use it for rounds I would have to change over plates on the co-ax. The components and dies are what makes the biggest difference in accuracy of the final product, not the press they are used in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3AGbx5YVZk&t=4s
Old August 13, 2017, 10:40 AM   #20
mikld

For light work that "C" press is fine. Lots of folks reload with "C" presses, some even use hand presses, Lyman 310 tools, and some even (gulp!) use Lee Loaders. You don't need a solid steel, $100.00+ press to make safe, shootable ammo. I have an old Pacific "C" press, made with an aluminum frame and I use it for decapping, priming, and bullet sizing. I don't use it for reloading because my dies are either in a Lee turret or have Forster rings on them for my Co-Ax, but it's size and ease of use would, and did, make it a handy press for reloading most cartridges.

BTW a press isn't needed to charge powder, I have never used a press mounted powder measure and have reloaded safely for over 30 years with a bench mounted powder measure (and even used dippers).
Old August 13, 2017, 10:44 AM   #21
McShooty

When that little Lee press came out years ago I bought one for $9.95, and that is about what it should sell for today. It is best used for specialty applications like decapping without resizing, case flaring would be OK, mine has a Lee Ram Prime on it and is used for priming rifle cases. It is still in service and has always worked fine for these operations.
Old August 13, 2017, 11:44 AM   #22
T. O'Heir

"...about the "C" style flexing..." Maybe with a Lee press. Been loading with nothing but a Redding 'C' for 40 some years with no fuss. Case forming on one likely has more to do with what cartridge than anything else. The bench it's on will matter too.
Old August 13, 2017, 11:53 AM   #23
Chainsaw.

This little press is cheap and suits some needs, take it for that and you'll be fine. I had one, worked well enough to load hundreds of 9mm rounds. If you only intend to use it for flaring and filling pistol brass you wont be disappointed. Despite what some folks think about how much you should spend.
Old August 13, 2017, 12:13 PM   #24
TruthTellers

Would this "O" frame press be more robust and hold up better over time with more intense loading operations like full length re-sizing?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/17...le-stage-press

It's frame is also aluminum.
Old August 13, 2017, 12:26 PM   #25
jmorris

Yes, that's the other press in post #18. Its superior in most every way and twice as expensive.
Closed Thread