The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 2, 2014, 02:04 PM   #26
Super Sneaky Steve

I just made the trip to my closest Cabela's.

They had large rifle primers, but no powder other than Mag Rifle.

So, I ended up buying 8lbs of 5744 from Natches.

With shipping and hazmat it works out to $30/lb!

I keep telling myself that money is going to starving children in China. Makes me feel a little better about getting raped.
Old February 2, 2014, 05:58 PM   #27
ColColt

Quote:
Gunbot.net gives up to date availability of all components.
they're not always reliable. I looked high and low for either H4831 or H4831SC and they showed Powder Valley and Widners as having some. Went to their website and they had neither.

I don't know how companies like Powder Valley stay in business. They list a couple powders out of a hundred they have and do the same for rifle brass. Everything else is out of stock. Who shoots an oddball caliber like 307 Winchester? Those they have brass for...whoopdedoo.

Last edited by ColColt; February 2, 2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old February 2, 2014, 07:25 PM   #28
Crashbox

I think the supply has once again worsened compared to two or three months ago, when it seemed that there was some relief appearing on the horizon.

On an aside, last March I was at a conference where there was a Cabela's next door so I wandered over to see what rested on the powder shelves; IIRC there were only two, one-pound containers. One of them happened to be IMR 4320 which I immediately grabbed since it seems like it was *MADE* for the .405 Winchester...

It is still very much hit-or-miss, mainly the latter though.
Old February 2, 2014, 07:28 PM   #29
ColColt

I've had much better luck on average finding what I needed at the local gun show. I saw 8 lbs of H4831 last time...with I had snagged it then. Another show next month. I won't delay this time. 270 cases eat a lot of that powder.
Old February 2, 2014, 08:32 PM   #30
FloridaGuy

Locally I have not had an issue with finding any reloading supplies. I was able to pick-up 2lb of Unique and 1lb of Clays last weekend. Prices are a little higher then normal. But if you want it you have to pay the asking price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zttn.jpg (119.4 KB, 52 views)

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT
Old February 3, 2014, 12:28 AM   #31
JimDandy

Quote:
I actually did almost that today, just not with TiteGroup I've been looking everywhere for pistol powder as well and found Trail Boss at Cabelas (bought one bottle and left 15 on the shelf), and 700X at an LGS (bought one bottle and left 2). The LGS also had a few bottles of 800X and IMR 7625.

Not everyone is a thoughtless hoarder.
Not everyone who buys all the bottles is a thoughtless hoarder. If I know I want X pounds of Powder XYZ, why would I buy some today, next week, and the week after, with possibly 3 different lot numbers instead of buying X pounds if they have X pounds in stock, getting 1 lot number, and not having to work up 3 different loads to safely cover the lot number variances?

With that said, in my area, Alliant might as well be out of business. There's a couple pounds of IMR whatever here and there, but still next to nothing. My bench is currently buried anyway, but I'm not expecting to replenish my Unique, Power Pistol, or RL-15 any time soon.
Old February 3, 2014, 12:47 AM   #32
Reloader2

LGS and Local Walmart have had plenty of powder lately, but it is getting spendy.
Old February 3, 2014, 01:41 AM   #33
Brotherbadger

Powder hasn't really become harder to find around me, at least no more do than it had been for the past year. Hopefully this shortage ends soon.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old February 3, 2014, 11:33 AM   #34
Super Sneaky Steve

Quote:
LGS and Local Walmart have had plenty of powder lately, but it is getting spendy.
All the Walmart's I've ever been to never stock smokeless powder.

If they did have powder/primers I'd never need to shop anywhere else.
Old February 3, 2014, 11:42 AM   #35
skizzums

oh, i would love to find a walmart that sells powder, ive checked every walmart in the boonies around here, never seen it

is t a state by state thing? my wallys sells ar15s, but no reload stuff
Old February 3, 2014, 11:53 AM   #36
madmo44mag

POWDER - WHAT POWDER???
I can't find anything.
On line - local.
All I have been able to find for the past month is very slow rifle powders.
What is wild is loaded ammo is getting easier to find now.
Old February 3, 2014, 11:54 AM   #37
Beagle333

It's not even by state. Our WalMart here stopped selling any guns at all, and the one in the connecting town, 5 miles away, sells guns and powder.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old February 3, 2014, 12:03 PM   #38
BOOMST1CK

The Wm's in my area do not sell reloading supply's, but the one 5 miles away outside city limits does. Not that it matters because they have not seen powder since November. Small pistol and shot shell primers is all they have had.
Old February 3, 2014, 02:53 PM   #39
serf 'rett

A little powder has appeared at a few of the local gun stores. I can poudly pat myself on the back for leaving it for others...

...because I'm such a nice guy and...

... I can't bring myself to pay $27.50 for a one pound canister of Unique
Old February 3, 2014, 08:00 PM   #40
Mohave-Tec

Here's what everybody is going to do. As soon as the shortage is over, everybody who didn't have powder when the shortage began will "stock up this time" if their glass is half full or "hoard" if their glass is half empty but you won't know the differences from the looks of the shelves from when the hoarding stops and the resupply starts because they are identical. BUT, once everybody finally gets a chance to "stock up this time" then you will be writing this post for the next set of you guys when Hilary gets elected or the Canadians attack.
Don't fret. This too shall pass.
This shortage is a carbon copy of the 2008/09 shortage. Identical.
Old February 3, 2014, 09:19 PM   #41
Airman Basic

Quote:
So how long did it take back then to get back to normal?
Old February 3, 2014, 09:47 PM   #42
SQUAREKNOT

This is worse than 2008

I'm in eastern ND. Primers at the local Scheel's store are stocked full of everything that exists. BUT bullets are real thin and powder is like what others have said-heavy mag stuff for rifle is about all there is. Loaded ammo is well stocked and prices are slowly dropping. Except 22 RF there is none!
Old February 3, 2014, 11:33 PM   #43
Mohave-Tec

OK. Identical wasn't the right word. This one has the same weight as the last shortage but the MIA is different. Last time it was the bullets that ran dry and stayed dry forever. This time it is reloading supplies. Why? because last time turned everybody into a reloader this time. LOL. In reality, last time everybody thought that Obama was going to try to strip the country of their guns because that was supposed to be what he did once elected; but he didn't say a word about that....until this time. This time it was a bunch of innocent children being gunned down. Last time it was 22lr, AR parts and .380 rounds of all things. This time it is 22lr, AR parts and powder. And powder is easier to find this time than 380 was last time. Last time the pocket pistol was all the rage. This time home brewed stashes are all the rage.
I don't even know how long last time lasted really. I was on a treasure hunt for a full year but eventually I found everything I wanted or needed so I quite watching. This time I'm just watching mostly because this is a a significant human interest story in this country and a very interesting one at that. But it still smells just like the last time.
To answer one of the most recent questions in this thread, last time never fully recovered before the children were murdered and it started all over again. I'd say it was back to 90%-95% but it never fully rebounded.
Old February 3, 2014, 11:41 PM   #44
Mohave-Tec

You know what would be really interesting to know? I wonder how many firearms there were in Sept. 2007 but more interesting would be to know what the average gun owners stashed round count was back then compared to what the gun count and ammo count will end up being in about another year. I'll bet it is someplace between 40% more and doubled by the next presidential election and I wouldn't be surprised if a smaller version started again with that election.
Old February 4, 2014, 01:27 AM   #45
G_P

The only powder I can find locally is magnum rifle powders. for well over 6 months my LGS has only had mag rifle powder when I've gone in. Just the same stuff collecting dust.

Cabelas had nothing last time I was there. Worst part about Cabelas is their powder case is made of plywood so you cant even see whats in there until you can track down whoever has the key. I can find bullets/primers whenever I want but powder has all but vanished. Same with .22!

All I want is a pound of Red Dot or 700x Going to try a few places later tomorrow (today?)
Old February 4, 2014, 01:35 PM   #46
salvadore

Wonder why after the 2008/9 shortage everyone got all complacent? You'd think after things became available everyone would lay in a bit of a stash, take up reloading etc. especially if you're a big enough enthusiast to hang out in gun forums.
Old February 4, 2014, 02:33 PM   #47
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohave-Tec
I disagree. That shortage lasted perhaps 6 months and ended abruptly. As I recall, it was roughly November to April. This shortage has gone on for well over a year already and while it has undeniably improved that improvement has been slow and as yet incomplete.
Old February 4, 2014, 03:18 PM   #48
mnoirot64

I am fortunate in that I do have the powders and components to get me by. Another 30 days I will be running low. I'm down to 1/2 pound on Power Pistol an Unique. Fortunately I have Longshot and 800-X as back ups. Has anyone seen any Power a Pistol or Unique lately?
Old February 4, 2014, 05:02 PM   #49
salvadore

That's not getting by, this is getting by

Old February 4, 2014, 06:55 PM   #50
Nick_C_S

Quote:
This shortage has gone on for well over a year already and while it has undeniably improved that improvement has been slow and as yet incomplete.
In terms of powder, it's far from "undeniably improved." In fact, I don't believe it has improved at all. At my LGS, the powder situation is worse right now than at any time in the previous 12 months.