The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 27, 1998, 02:41 AM   #26
Walt Welch

Rob, you weasel, stop trying to slime your way out of coming up with the prize. You have no conscience. <g> Walt
Old December 27, 1998, 01:35 PM   #27
Doc Lisenby

Thanks for the correction, Walt. I thought it didn't look right (Coriolis). Now when I get in a discussion about the toilet again, I'll refer 'em to the site you gave.
You know, there is some evidence that 'flu shots may be implicated in causing Alzheimer's D.. I think mine is senility.

Rob, give Walt the damn shirt. I have enough hair to keep me warm and he will look classy tooling around in his Porche in a skivvy shirt.

When did they get flush toilets in Australia?
Old December 27, 1998, 05:08 PM   #28
Rob Pincus

Okay, okay.. since the official judge has been sufficiently bullied to rule in favor of a prize.... send me your address Walt.

------------------
-Essayons
Old December 28, 1998, 04:01 PM   #29
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

OK Guys, I talked with Remington today and ask about this. They used an electroless process to coat the alloy that causes their dye/coating to bond with the AL on the 552. If this helps to clarify anything for you Doc and Walt then there you go. George
Old December 28, 1998, 11:13 PM   #30
Doc Lisenby

Electroless like electroless nickel plating? That ain't anodizing in my book. Seems like it is the reverse. The aluminum would be the cathode in plating, and the opposite would be the case in anodizing. George, we gunsmiths gotta stick together on this. You mentioned anodizing and Ol'Walt fell in behind you. Now we find out that I was more right saying that it was a type of coating. It was fun anyway and thanks to all you bored readers for putting up with us. Rob, I could use a redneck fedora (baseball hat) to keep the "skeeters" off my poor ol' haid. Love, Doc
Old December 29, 1998, 01:12 AM   #31
Rob Pincus

Okay, Okay.... But, you guys have to send my your addresses.. I can't just miracle any prizes to you.

------------------
-Essayons
Old December 29, 1998, 05:02 PM   #32
Walt Welch

DOC you are such a whiner!!

It is true that electroless Ni is not an anodizing, but a pyrolyzing technique of applying a coating (and generally inferior in withstanding corrosion than hard chrome anodized on).

NP-3, however, is electroless Ni with PTFE (Teflon) in it, and is quite corrosion resistance.

Further, my esteemed fellow colleague, if you REALLY want to get into a coating vs. plating discussion, I will have Jack Fuselier come over here and rip your ears off!

Seriously, there was a good discussion of coatings vs. platings and other methods of corrosion resistance on the 1911-1 newsletter a few months ago, including bluing, parkerizing, hard chrome, Ni, both electroplated and electroless process; given sufficient motivation, and reader interest, I may perhaps share this with the forum.

After I get my jacket from Rob (t-shirt will definitely not do it) Size is XL. Thanks, Walt