The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 28, 2013, 01:55 PM   #1
9mm

Desiccant Silica Gel harm ammo?

I bought a large pack of these little packets 1oz or so and I throw 3-5 in each ammo can of mine. Will it harm ammo as it removes air I believe? someone remove the nitrogen w/e powered/is in ammo. I heard ammo could be fired in space because it is all sealed up, so don't know.
Old January 28, 2013, 02:09 PM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm not even close to being a Dessicant Expert, but I don't think they remove air. I think they remove moisture from the air. I'm hoping that you get some solid answers to your questions, as I have some dessicant packs that I am about to put in with my ammo.
Old January 28, 2013, 02:36 PM   #3
7n6

Desiccants absorb the moisture in the air, they dont suck up the air.
Old January 28, 2013, 02:40 PM   #4
ScottRiqui

You've already gotten good answers about the desiccant, but I'll address the "shooting in space" part of your post.

Yes, firearms would function just fine in space (at least, the combustion part would - some of the moving parts might not work too well in the cold vacuum of space).

Combustion requires oxygen, but both the primer compound and the gunpowder itself contain oxygen-bearing chemicals that release their oxygen to support combustion. Essentially, the rounds "make their own oxygen", allowing them to work even when there's no atmospheric oxygen available.
Old January 28, 2013, 02:44 PM   #5
DaleA

Well 9mm since you'd like a real answer and not the normal internet uninformed I'd suggest you ask one of the ammo companies...send 'em an email. I know they're busy nowdays but with all the profit they're making they should be polite and answer a sensible question like yours.

And now playing the role of the internet uninformed I can personally assure you dessicant will not harm ammunition, it really does take the moisture out of the air and does not remove the air and gunpowder burns just fine in space because it chemically supplies its own oxidizer (air).

And goodness...we haven't had a 'guns in space' thread in weeks and weeks. Almost as long as 'guns and bears' and 'guns and snakes'. (And that's okay with me.)
Old January 28, 2013, 02:47 PM   #6
DaleA

Sorry Scott Riqui. I was typing my answer and didn't see yours until after I hit submit.

It has been suggested I could double my typing speed if I'd use two fingers instead of the just one but that could take some training.
Old January 29, 2013, 09:26 PM   #7
dstryr

Are ammo cans air tight? If not, once the dessicant absorbs whatever amount of water/humidity it is designed to hold, then it will no longer matter if it is in with the ammo, the air will have the same humidity in the can as outside the can.

http://www.dstryr.com/
Old January 29, 2013, 09:32 PM   #8
ScottRiqui

They're air-tight. I've got ammo cans that have been closed up for years with a desiccant pack in each one, and the indicator on the desiccant still shows blue, meaning that it still hasn't yet absorbed its "fill" of moisture.
Old January 30, 2013, 07:54 AM   #9
Hal

Quote:
And goodness...we haven't had a 'guns in space' thread in weeks and weeks. Almost as long as 'guns and bears' and 'guns and snakes'. (And that's okay with me.)
It's been even longer yet since we've had a good "bullet in a microwave" thread....
Old January 30, 2013, 12:07 PM   #10
Nasty

Can you cook off a round of ammo in a microwave while shooting at a bear in space?
Old January 30, 2013, 08:33 PM   #11
Rusty35

Quote:
Nasty

Can you cook off a round of ammo in a microwave while shooting at a bear in space?
NO!

But , If you shoot a bear you can cook it in a microwave if there is enough space.
Old January 30, 2013, 09:18 PM   #12
berettaprofessor

No, dessicants packs don't remove air. They sequester moisture.

And even if they did, they wouldn't be as effective as a vacumn seal...and I do that to ammo all the time. And it shoots fine.
Old January 31, 2013, 01:50 AM   #13
Aaron1100us

I have reusable silica packs in all my ammo boxes. They are blue then turn pink/clear when they are full. You just microwave them to refresh. Works great to keep out moisture.

Looks like these.

uploadfromtaptalk1359614918873.jpg

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2
Old January 31, 2013, 09:32 AM   #14
adamc

I never thought of it..

at work some of my $$$ test gear I protect with desiccant,,

so why not guns & ammo ?

Connecticut was the Cradle of the Gun Industry, NOW it is just a Pine Box,
Courtesy of our Governor "Chairman MAO Malloy"