The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 29, 2020, 10:51 AM   #1
308Loader

Broken rail screw

Was shooting yesterday and found the rail on my Savage model 10-T-SR was loose. When I got home I removed the scope and went to tighten down the rail when I noticed the forward most screw was missing its head! The other 3 were just loose enough to rattle the rail around a tiny bit. Not sure what happened here. Concerned about extracting the broken screw. Any advise?
Old August 29, 2020, 12:57 PM   #2
RKG

First try: remove the other three screws and the rail. There may be enough of the shaft of the broken screw to grasp with vice grips and back out.
Old August 29, 2020, 01:13 PM   #3
burrhead

If the screw is loose you may be able to back it out using a sharp center punch. Put the punch at a shallow angle at the outside edge of the screw and tap, tap, tap it around. Get it out enough to get some pliers on it.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old August 29, 2020, 06:56 PM   #4
stagpanther

Quote:
Was shooting yesterday and found the rail on my Savage model 10-T-SR was loose. When I got home I removed the scope and went to tighten down the rail when I noticed the forward most screw was missing its head! The other 3 were just loose enough to rattle the rail around a tiny bit. Not sure what happened here. Concerned about extracting the broken screw. Any advise?
Did the rail come with the rifle? I've never purchased a Savage that had the bases torqued down--no problem as I see it but something to be sure to do when you get it.
Old August 29, 2020, 07:01 PM   #5
Pahoo

Good Luck and I mean that

Quote:
If the screw is loose you may be able to back it out using a sharp center punch. Put the punch at a shallow angle at the outside edge of the screw and tap, tap, tap it around. Get it out enough to get some pliers on it.
This is usually my first run at it. I also use a very small pointed chisel and just try to get enough of bite to get it moving. I'm reading that it might not be all that tight. If so, determine the size of the fastener and buy the correct/drill bit combo and have a go at it. Man, make sure you get that hole perfectly centered. If it is tight a little bit of heat, goes a long way. Can you post picture?.....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 29, 2020, 07:14 PM   #6
Scorch

Buy some 6-48 screws and replace them all.
Old August 31, 2020, 06:21 PM   #7
308Loader

So I just removed the other 3 screws. Forward most screw is broken off flush with the receiver. Should I even attempt to do something here or just suck it up and bring it in to a listed gunsmith. If I do bring it into a smith what should I expect him to do? drill and tap?
Old August 31, 2020, 06:39 PM   #8
Pahoo

The solution is right around the corner

Quote:
If I do bring it into a smith what should I expect him to do? drill and tap?
No, it's likely that, In the extreme, drill and "extract". From what I'm reading, if the other three were easy to remove, this one should not be that difficult to remove. If you have a good smith that you trust, take it to him if you are in doubt. Are you familiar with the drill/extractor bit that Ace Hardware, sells in a set? ....

By the way, how do you think it broke ??

Be Safe !!!
Old August 31, 2020, 06:44 PM   #9
Nathan

I wouldn’t recommend most folks drill and tap. Generally the bolts are harder than the receiver....generally, only bad things happen in that case.
Old August 31, 2020, 07:48 PM   #10
sako2

Is there any kind of lip on it? If the other 3 were loose you should be able to back it out with a small screwdriver from a eye glass set.
Old August 31, 2020, 08:20 PM   #11
ammo.crafter

extractor

If there is a bit of the screw shaft above the barrel, use a Dremel with a cutting disc CARFULLY, and cut a slot in the bolt for a screw drive.

Protect the surrounding area with metal to avoid damage.

You could as others have said, use a drill and extractor to remove the broken bolt.
Old September 2, 2020, 04:36 PM   #12
308Loader

This is what I have to work with. The dimple in the middle of the screw is sticking up. A bit nervous about drilling a hole for the extractor. Might need to punch the center to keep the bit from drifting?

thats odd. their were pictures when i posted this

Last edited by 308Loader; September 3, 2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old September 2, 2020, 05:43 PM   #13
308Loader

extractor did not work, just dug a hole in the screw. 99% sure the screw was not steal. Im F-ed. So how bad would it be to shoot with 3 of 4 screws?

so disipointed...

Last edited by 308Loader; September 2, 2020 at 05:52 PM.
Old September 2, 2020, 06:03 PM   #14
stinkeypete

Don’t panic. A good gun smith with serious tools can get that little booger out of there for you.
Old September 3, 2020, 10:48 PM   #15
Jim Watson

It can be done by EDM but you have to find a shop with the gear.
Old September 4, 2020, 12:52 PM   #16
10-96

If it didn't move with the extractor, it's probably had some flavor of Loc-tite put to it. Can you put a little heat on it? Also, can you feel the bottom of the hole from the inside of the receiver? With heat and penetrating oil, I'm wondering if you can walk it out the bottom of the hole?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 5, 2020, 06:35 AM   #17
Nathan

I can’t see your pictures, but there is a reason they call them gunsmiths. A good Smith will get that out, don’t fear.