The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old August 28, 2020, 06:18 PM   #1
mgulino

Powder Coating Questions

I have just recently become interested in powder coating lead bullets for use in my Ruger GP100 .357. I have the necessary supplies and equipment for the simple shake-n-bake method. I don’t cast so will be using purchased bullets. Currently, I have a box of the Hornady LRN .358 bullets (#10508) with the knurled bearing surface holding a wax lube. I know I can fire these as is, but I want to try powder coating them. I have not yet fired this bullet in my revolver. I do have a couple of questions that I have not been able to answer on the internet.
Will the lube affect the powder coat? If so can it be removed (and how) before coating?
If I can coat these bullets, will the paint affect the diameter of the bullet enough to make a difference? Should the bullet be resized after powder coating?
Old August 29, 2020, 12:15 AM   #2
BJung

My two cents

1. Yes, the lube will affect the powder coat.
2. No, you cannot remove it. I tried removing Lee Alox from cast bullets and it looked clean, but when I tossed the bullets into a pot to be re-melted, they smoked a lot, meaning that the lube was not removed.
3. Yes, every coat increases the diameter of your bullet by about .001". The diameter of your bullet should be .001" greater than the diameter of a lead slug created by the grooves in your barrel onto a lead slug driven through your barrel. A better way is to see of the bullet just fits through the forcing cone. I haven't done this but other's will add to it. To resize your cast bullets, most use Lee bullet resizing dies.
4. Go to castbullets.com, castboolits.com, and youtube for more information.
5. I started about 5 months ago. If you have .38 cases, I'd suggest the Lee 6 cavity - 148gr wc molds. With the slow MV you can use straight range lead. The bullets pop out really easy and you're casting 6 at a time.. For PC, I've had best luck with Reynold's wrap non-stick aluminum. PC sticks to regular aluminum and even silicon and leaves exposed lead. Not with the non-stick aluminum. Oh, and use a #5 plastic container. I throw pieces of styrofoam in it to make more static electricity.

Last edited by BJung; August 29, 2020 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Not 100% on target response
Old August 29, 2020, 08:59 AM   #3
big al hunter

I cast my own and powder coat. I recently purchased a box full of random reloading stuff. Along with the other stuff there was a box of cast bullets for 9mm that appeared to be clean. I tossed a few into my powder coat and did the shake and bake. When I sized them the coating popped off in big flakes. It seams the bullets have a wax coating that I couldn't see.

If you have bullets that are already lubed, I would recommend just loading and shooting them.

Since you are already looking at powder coating.....it isn't much more $ to invest in a Lee furnace and molds. The 2 cavity molds come with handles and run right around $20. It will pay for itself in the long run. And you have a huge variety of bullets to choose from.
Old August 29, 2020, 05:16 PM   #4
mgulino

Thanks for the replies. I will be loading these as they are. I have found a source for non-lubed 147 and 158 grain bullets to try powder coating.