The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 18, 2020, 12:34 PM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
but, i will try to use the Remington OEM parts instead.
To save some frustration, I suggest making a "glovebox" to use when disassembling and reassembling the housings.

A couple diswashing gloves, a largish plastic bag (that you can see through) and some duct tape is all it takes. WHEN (not if) things slip and the spring & cap go flying, having them taped inside a bag means you'll probably be able to find them fairly easily.

If you don't have "containment" its almost a certainty that things will slip, and the spring & plug will depart, at speed for the most invisible and inaccessible place possible.
Murphy's Law
Old September 18, 2020, 01:29 PM   #27
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I made a tool for working with 1911 mainspring housings. I started with a Harbor Fright 3" c-clamp

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch...sugg_q=c+clamp

Carefully grind the flat head thingie off the end of the screw, which leaves a round ball. The ball might be small enough to fit into the bore of the MSH. If not, just grind it down until it fits. You then have a nice clamp that will hold onto the cap and spring while you remove the retainer pin, then release the spring tension gradually so parts don't go airborne.
Jeepaholic
Old September 18, 2020, 05:13 PM   #28
hammie

@ Aguila: My flashlight and knees thank you for saving them from future searches. I believe this is the moment when we all shake our heads and say, "Now why didn't I think of that?"

Last edited by hammie; September 18, 2020 at 09:23 PM.
Old September 18, 2020, 07:06 PM   #29
Polinese

That's pretty clever and a handy tool for 1911's
Old September 19, 2020, 03:18 PM   #30
buddyd157

ok, so my new Ed Brown flat main spring housing arrived this afternoon.

i had previously watched a video (which i could not find) so i did however find another one, where this guy uses rubber bands, as in the "missing video"

it took me (i kid you not), not more than 7 minutes to remove the OEM, and replace it with the Ed Brown.

in my situation, i did not even have to remove the wooden grips, as they have the cut out, which exposes the pin in the frame.

tested it for safety function...good to go.!!

oh yeah, and it just literally dropped in.

he is that video, which shows using rubber bands, and why, for anyone not familiar with doing this remove/install item.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtwcWUipkyQ

Last edited by buddyd157; September 19, 2020 at 03:31 PM.