The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 20, 2020, 05:16 PM   #1
Prof Young

End of Bauer saga . . . I hope.

Smiths:

Without recounting the whole story, know that I've now got over 100 round through the gun with only two jams and the mag catch is staying in one piece.

I'd read a suggestion somewhere that maybe the mag itself was putting pressure on the catch causing the failures. I filed the mag itself down a bit before reassembly. I'm thinking that did the trick. (Plus which the gun seems to feed a lot better now. Hmmmmm . . .)

Also, I un-peened the cocking indicator and now it is no longer getting stuck.

The only thing mildly amiss is that the pin that holds the extractor in place tends to want to rise up a little. May have to put some locktite on that.

So, bought at auction for $200 with mag, holster and original case. Have replaced mag catch, extractor, one grip and barrel. Have modified the mag itself. Polished the feed ramp. Modified the new extractor. All to the tune of about $100. And have about five hours work into it. Given what the guns are going for at gunbroker, three bills is not too bad. And I learned a lot.

If the thing continues to shoot well, I'll just keep shooting it. Ammo is expensive, but I already bought and used a set of Lee 25 acp dies. It will never be a carry gun, but makes a seriously fun range toy.

Life is good.

Prof Young
Old July 20, 2020, 06:33 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Good ending!
Old July 22, 2020, 02:19 PM   #3
Prof Young

Shooting well . . .

Took Bauer to the range again today. Put about 60 more rounds through it. A few jams, but everything is staying in one piece. Safety tends to creep up sometimes. Seems to chamber round nosed bullets better than hollow points. I did one rapid fire mag dump and it ran well.

Only now I have a hankering to own a second 25 acp gun. I guess that's why it's called a hobby.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old July 22, 2020, 05:17 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

Get an Italian Beretta Jetfire.
Old July 22, 2020, 06:05 PM   #5
JERRYS.

use only fmj and I second the Beretta jetfire aka 950.
Old July 22, 2020, 10:19 PM   #6
Jim Watson

Beretta 418, the original James Bond weapon.
CZ 45, the gun Seecamp took after.
Colt!
Old July 23, 2020, 09:58 AM   #7
unclenunzie

You had to file on the magazine so that it would not put pressure on the magazine catch. Your mag catch broke... ugh.

Is yours an original Bauer mag? Just wondering about having to mod the mag.

Mine came with one, but I set it aside and have used only a couple of new mags from PSA. They have the rounded follower and are marked made in Italy. The original mag seems delicate to me, I'm saving it for historical reasons. I also installed an upgraded titanium striker from PSA.

I get 40 rounds or so through it before a fail to feed. Clean it up and it's good to go again. There is just something real fun about a tiny pistol. And no, not gonna carry it. Would love to find an original.

I'll second the Jetfire, sweet little 25.
Old July 24, 2020, 08:45 PM   #8
Prof Young

Don't know about mag . . .

Sorry Unclenunzie, I don't know if the mag is the original or an OEM or an after market or what.

Iv'e been told the gun will run better with an original Browning mag, but when I shop for the same it seems dubious as to whether or not they are original browning mags.

Yeah, I had a lot of problems with the mag catch breaking. Went thru three mag catches. Got a lot of help from Bill Deshivs in the process.

Then got the idea from somewhere (maybe psa) to file down the mag itself as it might be putting pressure on the catch. I did that and it seems to have turned the tide.

I almost got a Jetfire via an on line auction but forgot to check in on the last day of the auction. Ah well . . .

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old July 25, 2020, 02:03 PM   #9
Bill DeShivs

Make sure it's an Italian Jetfire. They don't have safeties.
Old July 31, 2020, 11:10 AM   #10
DaleA

Quote:
All to the tune of about $100. And have about five hours work into it. Given what the guns are going for at gunbroker, three bills is not too bad. And I learned a lot.
Good for you.

The intangible "fun" is a factor we readily recognize in our own interests but sometimes we can't understand it in someone else's hobby.

As in, you could have bought a brand new quilt for the time and effort you put in sewing up that one. You could have bought a brand new chrome and glass desk for the time and effort you spent refinishing that old wood desk. Etc., Etc.

Glad it turned out well for you.

P.S. My sausage fat fingers positively cringe at the thought of reloading those fiddling small .25 ACP rounds.