The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 14, 2018, 07:01 PM   #26
cw308

I went the other way , Colt 3" 1911 it's a New Agent , Colt stopped making them about 5 years ago . I think the commander is a well Ballanced 1911 . For EDC pistol and my favorite to shoot is my 3" 1911 came with CT Laser grips . The Defender is a New Agent with sights . Great little pistol.
Old September 14, 2018, 07:18 PM   #27
WVsig

If you want a 1911 like pistol with better capacity look at the Wilson EDC X9. It weights about the same as the Glock 19.

If you really want a 1911 look at the Dan Wesson Valkayrie CCO or Commander in 9mm.

Old September 16, 2018, 04:47 AM   #28
bamaranger

fast and accurate

I know of at least one fella that shoots a 1911/9mm competitively in IDPA and is quite fond of it. I'm betting we hear from him on this thread. The single action trigger allows good accuracy and first round speed, and the 9mm is softer to shoot than a .45, allowing quicker recovery for follow up shots. Since IDPA is a gun game with magazine capacity limited by rule, he gives up 1 rd to the hi-cap striker fired pistols, 9+1 V. 10+1.

Accuracy and speed are good things in a fight I would believe too. And the 5.25" tube of the 1911 will yield good velocity from the 9mm ctg ahead of shorter tubes. MOdern ammo supposedly makes the 9mm a better cartridge these days. And money wise, the 9mm is far cheaper to shoot than .45 acp. Perhaps not traditional, but a 9mm /1911 offers some advantages and would not be a bad choice if a guy wants one.
Old September 17, 2018, 01:05 PM   #29
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSHR:
A 38 Super would probably be a better choice...
...that’s assuming you reload. Now a .38 Super with a fitted 9mm conversion barrel (IMHO) is the best choice!
Old September 17, 2018, 02:18 PM   #30
Jim Watson

Quote:
I know of at least one fella that shoots a 1911/9mm competitively in IDPA and is quite fond of it. I'm betting we hear from him on this thread. The single action trigger allows good accuracy and first round speed, and the 9mm is softer to shoot than a .45, allowing quicker recovery for follow up shots.
Me?
My main IDPA ESPs are 9mm Springfield and Colt 1911oids.
They are great shooters, but may take more "tuning" than a .38 or .45 because of the shorter cartridge.

Quote:
"...he gives up 1 rd to the hi-cap striker fired pistols, 9+1 V. 10+1."
No I don't, I just have to use a Barney mag to get to 10+1.
10 round 9mm magazines are about where 8 round .45s were ten years ago. Available and workable but maybe not perfected.

The CMC XP 10x9mm was at or near the reliability of a 9x9mm, but has been dropped since the Wilson buyout. The "Range Pro" successor is of more conventional construction. The one I bought to test has done ok so far, but I am still glad I bought some more XPs while available but out of the catalog.
Old September 18, 2018, 07:28 AM   #31
David R

After buying an aluminum frame 4" range officer, my girlfriend took it over. I liked it enough to buy a Dan Wesson PM 9. Full size stainless 9mm. So far its the balls. I have shot 1.5" groups @ 25 yards and just getting started with it. This is not for carry, I have a Micro 9 and a Colt LW Officers ACP.

After buying the last few guns, I realized I do not like striker fired pistols. 1911 is king.

David
Old September 18, 2018, 04:12 PM   #32
1hogfan83

Another vote for the Dan Wesson Guardian. Gorgeous weapon.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old September 18, 2018, 09:28 PM   #33
Chaparral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winny View Post
I've been toying with the idea of a "carry" 1911 for quite some time in 9mm.

I like the idea of a Commander-sized 9mm 1911 (I know, I know I should shoot 45, but I prefer the 9mm cartridge for my own reasons)

The springfield Range Officer line looks nice to me, but I've heard good things about the newer RIA pieces.

Weight isn't much of an issue, I'm 6'3" 200lbs and have a habit of carrying full-sized double stacks (I even occasionally conceal a Beretta 92FS).

Any recommendations or suggestions for me?

Thanks
I carry a Kimber Pro Tactical in 9mm. It is the commander size. I truly love this gun.
Old September 19, 2018, 08:41 AM   #34
45Gunner

I'm a 1911 fan. Been shooting them in .45ACP for as long as I can remember. Several years ago I bought a Kimber 1911 in 9mm to specifically use at Front Sight. I soon discovered that I can shoot my 9mm 1911 at the range three out of four times with the fourth time being the 45ACP. Saves some money shooting the 9mm and basically training with the same frame. However, I much prefer to carry my 1911 in 45ACP.
NRA Life Member
Old September 19, 2018, 07:15 PM   #35
jr24

The only 9mm 1911 experience I've had is with my fathers Wilson CQB and it's an understandably fantastic shooter, but I do like the 1911 in 9mm. A little heavy, sure, but slim and easy to carry if you get the right setup and 10 rounds is still a decent number of rounds to have.

Depending on how much you want to spend, I'd go with a Ruget Lightweight Commander, Colt Wiley Clapp commander or DW Guardian.

Personally, I'd save for the Guardian and go .38 Super. But that's because I want one and want to play with loading .38 super.

But id still go with the DW.
Old September 20, 2018, 02:46 AM   #36
bamaranger

yes you

Watson, thanks for your input......did not know there were now 10 rd mags for the 1911 in 9mm.
Old September 21, 2018, 06:55 AM   #37
m&p45acp10+1

My Rock Island TacII 1911 in 9mm is a 10 shot magazine. Though the factory mag that came with it soon went into a trash can. Replaced by 2 metal form 10 shot mags. I purchased them from Midway.

Once I got the good mags for the gun it has been 100% reliable. No stoppages at all. Accuracy is greater than I will be able to milk the gun for.
Old September 27, 2018, 10:08 AM   #38
Winny

Quote:
Once I got the good mags for the gun it has been 100% reliable. No stoppages at all. Accuracy is greater than I will be able to milk the gun for.
How much use has the gun gotten? I'm hesitant to trust RIA at the price point but keep hearing good things from those who own them.

I've heard the factory mags are pretty rough, seems smart to upgrade!

Tags
1911 , 9mm , ccw , commander