The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 3, 2018, 02:39 PM   #26
RC20

Me, the fact that my personal information has been hacked on credit card sites, credit card sites as well as the US Government bothers me a lot more than something that has a path to get cleared up.

Oh that and the Bureau of Consumer Protection is been gutted and the Equifax hacked site walked away without any charges being filed.
Old September 3, 2018, 05:16 PM   #27
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtown tom View Post
The Brady Law does not allow that.
Tell that to the state of Nevada. Don't tell me it doesnt allow it because I live here and I had to deal with it first hand. For your info, the pecking order is federal, state, county, city, municipality. They can each supplement federal law. If you want to see the law abused go to California.
Old September 4, 2018, 09:59 AM   #28
dogtown tom

Quote:
Yesterday 05:16 PM
LineStretcher
Quote:
Quote:
The Brady Law does not allow that.
Tell that to the state of Nevada. Don't tell me it doesnt allow it because I live here and I had to deal with it first hand. For your info, the pecking order is federal, state, county, city, municipality. They can each supplement federal law. If you want to see the law abused go to California.
Don't tell you?
Then provide proof that Nevada is exempt from Federal law (the Brady Law).
On a transaction that is "delayed", the Brady Law does not prohibit the transfer of a firearm after three business days, beginning the next business day. It most certainly is not "24 hours" as you claim.

For your info, the pecking order means Nevada dealers have to follow federal law. That Nevada allows the transfer after 24 hours means jack squat when Federal law says three business days.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old September 4, 2018, 11:10 AM   #29
LineStretcher

Perhaps you should ask yourself why it's legal for California to have 10 day waiting period. Once you solve that piece of the puzzle the rest will become clear.
Old September 4, 2018, 11:13 AM   #30
Sharkbite

Quote:
Perhaps you should ask yourself why it's legal for California to have 10 day waiting period. Once you solve that piece of the puzzle the rest will become clear.
Perhaps its because States can make laws that are MORE restrictive then the Federal statue, BUT NOT LESS.

That is how your “pecking order” works.
Old September 4, 2018, 11:55 AM   #31
dogtown tom

Quote:
LineStretcher Perhaps you should ask yourself why it's legal for California to have 10 day waiting period. Once you solve that piece of the puzzle the rest will become clear.
No, perhaps you should ask yourself why you made claim that you cannot provide a citation for.

I'm fully aware that a state can have a LONGER waiting period, but that isn't at question. You claimed a dealer in Nevada can transfer the firearm after a 24 hour period. That's blatantly false and any dealer who does that violates the Brady Law. He does that and loses his FFL.

Regarding California, well duh.
California's waiting period exceeds the wait required by the Brady Law.
Math, how does it work?

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old September 4, 2018, 05:35 PM   #32
LineStretcher

Quote:
No, perhaps you should ask yourself why you made claim that you cannot provide a citation for.

I'm fully aware that a state can have a LONGER waiting period, but that isn't at question. You claimed a dealer in Nevada can transfer the firearm after a 24 hour period. That's blatantly false and any dealer who does that violates the Brady Law. He does that and loses his FFL.

Regarding California, well duh.
California's waiting period exceeds the wait required by the Brady Law.
Math, how does it work?
Well, clearly you feel you are correct and I feel that even if I was to waste my valuable time proving what I have said, it would do little to satisfy your need to be right.. I'm out of here.
Old September 4, 2018, 05:38 PM   #33
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite View Post
Perhaps its because States can make laws that are MORE restrictive then the Federal statue, BUT NOT LESS.

That is how your “pecking order” works.
This is correct. Nevada gun laws protect our second amendment rights further by saying that the state makes the laws and not counties, cities or municipalities. I think that's in Nevada Resolution 202.xxx
Old September 4, 2018, 11:41 PM   #34
Aguila Blanca
Staff

All this discussion about Nevada laws is fine, but ... the OP is in Colorado and, last I knew, Colorado didn't follow Nevada laws.

Can we get back to discussing the question? Or are we done with the OP?
Old September 4, 2018, 11:43 PM   #35
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
All this discussion about Nevada laws is fine, but ... the OP is in Colorado and, last I knew, Colorado didn't follow Nevada laws.

Can we get back to discussing the question? Or are we done with the OP?
There are many similarities but you are correct. We did hijack this thread and that's not right.
Old September 8, 2018, 07:39 PM   #36
ShooterScott1

This doesn't seem right, I would contact my local representative about this.
Old September 22, 2018, 08:46 PM   #37
JJBoy55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterScott1 View Post
This doesn't seem right, I would contact my local representative about this.
As in senator? Local “pro gun rep”?

It’s now been I believe 39 days and still nothing. I have called the Colorado Appeals unit and they kept saying mine was “still being reviewed”.
I asked the lady if I could provide anything to speed it up and I don’t understand how I was denied. The lady did mention “if you have ever been arrested this will sometimes stop the purchase. We cannot see the outcome of some cases, so even if you are innocent we don’t know that until we confirm with the courts the outcome.”
Okay... So basically the lady was admitting the State assumes you are guilty by default? As they “simply see an arrest” etc.

I called a few times and last time I even told the person I need this to be cleared up ASAP, as I also work for the State of Colorado and if I’m somehow not able to own or purchase a firearm then I probably need to tell my work as I’d be ineligible to work there. I also have AR-15 training next week so if the State I work for thinks I’m ineligible, and I have firearms training from the SAME State... what’s going on?

I of course got no real answer. As I thought maybe if I send them my badge number along with my State ID they could pull me up quickly - but nope they refused and said that was “irrelevant”.
I was told I wasn’t the only one this has happened to and just be be patient and wait and if I had anything court related that was all the information I could send them (regarding the dropped case around 15 years ago).
Even the gun store had to send it back what I ordered as it’s been too long.

It sucks being denied your 2nd admedment right. I know some may not agree but it sure feels like it to me then are restricting my 2nd amendment right..The “shall not be infringed” some people like to quote... Well, what about in my case where they are infringing on wrongfully??
What if I was walking at night and got robbed and killed?? Yes, I know people will say that’s unrealistic. But what if it did happen? And I could have had a firearm to protect myself but I was left defenseless as the State denied me my right to own a firearm?? What if that happened?? I mean most people here carry for personal defense. If taken away wrongfully and something happened during that period then who’s accountable? All that would happen would be an “oops we made a mistake”
Old November 1, 2018, 04:38 PM   #38
JJBoy55

Update: today I got an email.. Reversal! They stated they had updated my records to show that the ARREST was dropped and didn’t result in a charge. So it was based on an arrest alone. I am not sure why for the firearms check that is a denial when background checks for Govt jobs don’t have it come up, or when it does it shows dropped charge.
Kind of odd but it finally got resolved.
The only downside is the email/letter said the State of Colorado would update their records so that means in all other States I might have to go through appealing again if I ever move....
Old November 1, 2018, 06:19 PM   #39
stephen426

Glad to hear that you got it resolved.
Old November 2, 2018, 09:03 AM   #40
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by raimius View Post
This occasionally happens, unfortunately. I know people who have TS security clearances, no criminal record, and fly armed military aircraft that got denied. Work through the process, and it will eventually get fixed...might take a while though. Until then, you are out of luck, as Colorado banned private sales a few years back (I wonder if they "feel" safer.).
Not banned, but no private sales w/o a background check, nor gun show sales, private seller to private seller, w/o one..for info. BUT do many people who are trying to sell a handgun to their buddy do a BGC? Donno...I'm guessing not but the penalty is pretty severe. Am I feelin' better about some yahoo NOT selling a gun to some other yahoo who can't pass the background check? You betcha even if this law is tough to enforce.
Quote:
In Colorado, almost all firearm transfers between unlicensed persons must be processed by a licensed firearms dealer, subjecting the prospective purchaser to a background check.

Colorado requires private gun sellers who are not federally licensed dealers to initiate a background check when transferring a firearm. With the exceptions listed below, any unlicensed individual who seeks to transfer possession of a firearm to a prospective transferee must: 1) require that a background check is conducted on the prospective transferee by a licensed gun dealer; and 2) obtain approval of the transfer from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) following the background check request.1

"Tools not Trophies”

Last edited by USNRet93; November 3, 2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old November 4, 2018, 01:14 AM   #41
ROCK6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC 20
Me, the fact that my personal information has been hacked on credit card sites, credit card sites as well as the US Government bothers me a lot more than something that has a path to get cleared up.

Oh that and the Bureau of Consumer Protection is been gutted and the Equifax hacked site walked away without any charges being filed.
This is likely the culprit. Yeah, I was another denied after PCSing (move) from Kansas to Texas. An employee from a gun store transaction "borrowed" my SSN. Once I got to Texas I tried to purchase a handgun, I was flagged. It was a PITA, but I now have a UPIN.

Fast forward to just a few years ago after moving to GA, I went to renew my FL CHL and was flagged for some "felony" charge. This was concerning as a service member with a TS/SCI clearance, but it just took several phone calls to find out some dinky town from my home state in WA that I've never been to (and which I haven't lived in WA for over 25 years) had a local arrest with someone who either used my SSN or was simply recorded incorrectly during a misdemeanor (public indecency...go figure). The guy didn't have my name or birthdate. I had to use some official headers, but the local sheriff quickly corrected the error and cleared up the charge that the FL clerk found. That whole issue is the most disconcerting as a processing clerk in the State of FL could find a "flag" on me from a misdemeanor in some place I've never been in a state I hadn't lived in for over two decades. The FBI wasn't much help other than saying there were no Federal flags on me. Strange, but not comforting.

I suspect it's something other than the OPs dropped charge when they were 17...

ROCK6