The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 11, 2012, 07:57 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

non knife guy looking at a bladed multi use tool...

options & thoughts from you guys that are knife guys...

lately I've been thinking of picking up a khukuri knife... thinking it could be used as a fighting knife ( not that I plan on getting that close to a bad guy ) more likely use, would be to replace a camp hatchet, could be used as a machette to clear shooting lanes, fence lines, take off small branches on downed trees, while chainsawing, etc...

I'm looking at a 10" blade, & those listed on evil bay made & shipped from Nepal ( anyone have anything good to say here ??? ) the knifes I expect to be a bit crude, but hope are sturdy, I live on a farm, & could see me using one regularly as a tool ( btw... worn out many Leatherman multi tools, over the course of the last 10 years, so if it is something I carried when out working, it could see some serious use ) ... I would suspect these particular knives would be like Kyber pass rifles... are there other manufacterers of authentic "style" khukuri knives ???

options for other knives that would function as a tool like I have listed above...

not looking for fantasy knife quality, looking for "tool quality"... I originally started looking at the smaller Gerber machettes, but they are not full tang, & I question the durability, also I'm wanting something small by machette standards, maybe on the large size by knife standards... something I could carry, while chain sawing, or working on the fences, that wouldn't be too cumbersome

wasn't there a trench knife, that coupled with the steel sheath, that would cut wire ??? do they still make those ???

options ??? opinons ???

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; December 11, 2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old December 11, 2012, 08:35 AM   #2
griz

From bottom to top:

I've seen those wire cutter sheaths but don't know how well they work. If I had more than one or two cuts to make I think I would carry wire cutters.

My machette-ish tool for many years has been a somewhat short inexpensive model that I found in a hardware store. The blade stock is pretty thin, which I like since I lean toward cutting with it instead of chopping. But they also have thicker, and consequently heavier, blades of like quality for about the same price. Maybe I don't use a machette very hard, but it seems to me that since I want to be able to sharpen it with a file, I don't need some super expensive steel. So as long as it's got a full tang handle that is firmly attached with rivets I am happy with it.
Old December 11, 2012, 08:43 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

one of the things I've been looking at when looking at this type of tool, is a lanyard ring, I think a leather or nylon wrist strap would be a nice feature, so long as it could be tucked into the sheath, so I didn't snag it on stuff when working... with the import stuff, I don't think I want an "add on" lanyard ring, the ones I've bookmarked, have thick full tang blades, & the lanyard hole goes through either both the handle & the blade tang, or a piece of the blade tang sticks out past the grip, with a hole in it...

I'm a little uncomfortable sending funds 1/2 way around the world for a knife, but most all have good evil bay ratings ???
Old December 11, 2012, 11:06 AM   #4
Pahoo

Most gun-guys, are knife-guys !!

Quote:
options ??? opinons ???
Most of the Indian Khukuri knives that I have seen, have some pretty solf steel in them and overall are not of good quality. Send me the Ebay link and I will take a better look. ....

If you can still find them, I'd recommend the Kershaw - Outcast.. Also might look into what Ontario knife company is currently making.
http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/prodlist.jsp

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce...=10&Submit.y=8

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; December 11, 2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old December 11, 2012, 02:44 PM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

Hmmm...maybe something like this... American made...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Tool-Woo...item27ccb798b0
Old December 11, 2012, 03:54 PM   #6
Pahoo

Good call !!

Quote:
Hmmm...maybe something like this... American made...
Darn good call and I'll be looking for one of these, myself. One thing to note; if you can't find it in Smokey Mountain knife, it probably isn't made. I have been buying from these folks for years and their pricing is always good !!!

Be Safe !!!
Old December 11, 2012, 04:22 PM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

Looks like they have them at Cabela's ( mixed reviews )... might have to at least go look at one...

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...8#BVRRWidgetID
Old December 11, 2012, 05:04 PM   #8
IDAHOMIKE

Magnum,
This is sort of in the same vein, but when I worked the family ranch, the Cold Steel shovel was an indispensible tool. It has quite good cutting abilities and of course can dig. Used mine so much it has no finish left. Just my $0.02.
Old December 11, 2012, 05:08 PM   #9
Magnum Wheel Man

I have a lil folding military pick / shovel in my camping stuff... this "tool" I'm hoping to strap on my belt when cutting trees, working in the pasture, hunting, ( fighting Zombies... oh my... did I say that )
Old December 11, 2012, 05:21 PM   #10
IDAHOMIKE

Lol. Gotta watch them zombies. Its not as long as youre specs, bit a TOPS Tracker is an awesome blade that rolls a few things into one. You can chop, back, slice, and saw anything you can get your mitts on. Fairly pricey though.
Old December 11, 2012, 05:46 PM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

speaking of the "undead"... Gerber is pretty funny how they advertise...

http://www.gerbergear.com/Outdoor/Ge...-Pro_31-000705

http://www.gerbergear.com/Apocalypse...e-Jr_31-000759

But... I don't like that the Gerbers I've seen, don't have full length tangs... although the "pro" ( in my 1st link ) appears to have screws on both ends of the grips ???
Old December 11, 2012, 06:04 PM   #12
Magnum Wheel Man

This one from TOPS... I think better meets what I'm looking for...

http://www.topsknives.com/product_in...roducts_id=381
Old December 11, 2012, 06:13 PM   #13
IDAHOMIKE

I would like to thank you Magnum for adding one more thing to my wish list. Lol. TOPS puts a knife together real well. Plus I have to support fellow Idaho businesses. Spendy but you get what you pay for from them.
Old December 11, 2012, 07:06 PM   #14
GM1967

For a low priced version: http://www.ltspecpro.com/Product/97K..._W_SHEATH.aspx

I have one of these, it's pretty good

For a much higher priced version: http://www.ltspecpro.com/Product/39L...KHA_KUKRI.aspx
Old December 11, 2012, 07:10 PM   #15
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks for those links... I haven't seen either... I like options
Old December 12, 2012, 08:00 AM   #16
Magnum Wheel Man

Exploring the original knife designs, I came across this one...
12" blade is a little longer than I think I want, & the sheath gets aweful reviews, but the knife seems better than others costing much more ( according to the reviews ) this knife is supposed to be made in America...

http://www.amazon.com/Ontario-6420-K...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

this one also gets good knife reviews, & poor sheath reviews... but knife is made in Taiwan

http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-2-1249-...m_cr_pr_sims_t

I also looked at these... I like the saw on the back, but the blade is too long to strap on my belt & expect to hike, or work around the farm... getting into the truck, & or on the tractor would likely be impossible as long as it is...not sure how durable the handle would be long term... but if there was one with a 10" blade, with the saw on the back, I'd be all over that design...

http://www.amazon.com/United-Cutlery.../dp/B005FLMO9Y

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; December 12, 2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old December 12, 2012, 10:04 AM   #17
Magnum Wheel Man

so my top 3 picks right now are the Gerber Pro, the Ontario knife, & the TOPS knife I linked...

though if Zombies were what I was really worried about looks like the Gerber is the correct tool ( I don't watch the show, or shoot zombie targets, so I don't really get it, other than suttle humor )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gerber-Gator...item27cde4f33d

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; December 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old December 12, 2012, 12:56 PM   #18
ZEBRARANGER

Quote:
more likely use, would be to replace a camp hatchet, could be used as a machete to clear shooting lanes, fence lines, take off small branches on downed trees, while chainsawing, etc...
I did environmental hazmat work for many years here in Florida. I found that nothing worked better than a good quality machete to access some of the hard to reach remote areas I needed it for. I recommend one that has a wider style blade up towards the tip, not the straight bladed type. I've accumulated several over the years and one that I recently purchased is the Bear Grylls Parang machete. Its made by Gerber so the quality is there. The blade itself is thick at 1/8" and is 13.5" long, the knife itself is 19.5" in length so its pretty compact for a machete. It has a full tang and an ergonomic textured rubber grip with lanyard, its a very comfortable grip. It also comes with a pretty heavy duty sheath for belt carry. Its received a lot of good reviews since it came out in Feb. Its regular price is around $50.00 but its on sale right now on Amazon for $30.00 with free shipping. I think it might be worth a look for you and your stated purpose, I really like mine.
Old December 12, 2012, 01:37 PM   #19
Magnum Wheel Man

I looked at those also... similar ( actually better ) in function to the "pro" machette from them, but with a longer blade... I'm really trying to stay with something I could get in & out of the truck or tractor, or my Mule, with it strapped on... partly why I started looking at 10" blades... I think I could get in & out with a 10"... I know full well, a longer tool will be more effcient, but I think I'd be willing to give up a little function, for the ability to get into & out of vehicals with it still strapped on ???
Old December 12, 2012, 11:05 PM   #20
johnwilliamson062

I can't imagine spending $100 + dollars on a chopping tool. Even some ultralight titanium thing for backpacking could be had for less. If I was looking in that price range I'd go snag some scrap from a machine shop, buy a couple nice files and get to work on it myself exactly how I wanted.
Old December 13, 2012, 07:44 PM   #21
redneck

Here's a custom you might consider, thats cheaper than some of the production knives you've posted so far. There are some khukuri style knives as well but they are much longer and wouldnt carry as nicely.

http://www.mineralmountain.com/shortchop.htm

I've never handled this guys work in person but he has been around awhile and I remember him having a good reputation back when I was big into knives.
Old December 14, 2012, 08:46 AM   #22
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks for the link... that's also pretty interesting...
Old December 15, 2012, 06:26 PM   #23
mongoslow

the best all around tool that you can carry on your belt :The Woodsmans Pal. thick short blade of high quality, high energy transfer due to its wieght, sharp back hook for reverse swing and after your pistol clicks empty a monster of a close quaters combat weapon, and ... its made in the U.S.A.
Do not buy the cheap one with wood handles get the top line one wtih the knuckle guard and compressed leather washer handle

Last edited by mongoslow; December 15, 2012 at 06:37 PM.