The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 20, 2010, 05:21 PM   #26
dogtown tom

Quote:
Ridge_Runner_5

Quote:
Quote:
You're most welcome. Just remember, once you put that barrel and shoulder stock on it, you've made a rifle out of a pistol. You can't change it back into a pistol again unless you Register it in the NFA registry first.
Actually, the ATF got slapped by the courts for that one...I'll look around for the case...
Thompson Center appealed all the way to the US Supreme Court and won. ATF takes the position that the SC ruling applies ONLY to the pistol/carbine kit sold by TC.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old July 20, 2010, 06:28 PM   #27
rjrivero

I agree with Dogtown. The only exception is a Thomposon contender that is bought as a kit. All at the same time in a single package.
Old July 20, 2010, 07:35 PM   #28
Ridge_Runner_5

So buy a HERA stock from the same shop you buy your Glock, on the same day, and you're good to go...
Old July 20, 2010, 07:57 PM   #29
rjrivero

I'll let someone else be the test case. My pockets aren't deep enough.
Old July 24, 2010, 07:37 AM   #30
gyvel

All of this brings to mind an item that was sold by F.I. prior to the 68 GCA in the US. It was a an "upper" that consisted of a long barrel contained in a wooden rifle type stock and was intended to be used with the frame from one of the French Unique (I think it was the Model "L") .22 cal. pistols to convert it to a handy .22 carbine. Presumably, under current ATF guidelines, once converted, reversion would constitute an illegal SBR.
Old July 24, 2010, 11:39 AM   #31
dogtown tom

Quote:
Ridge_Runner_5 So buy a HERA stock from the same shop you buy your Glock, on the same day, and you're good to go...
Huh?
Doing the above makes ZERO difference than if you bought your Glock at your local gunstore and the HERA from a mail order dealer. The TC case was about a manufacturers "kit" sold as a receiver, pistol barrel, rifle barrel and buttstock- all in one package.

If Glock sold a stock WITH the pistol, it might seem to be the same situation as the Thompson Center case. BUT......as ATF has said, the Supreme Court decision in favor of Thompson Center applies ONLY to that particular "kit", not to other pistol/carbine kits that may be manufactured in the future.

While ATF is correct in that the court decision was only about the TC kit, it is seldom that Supreme Court decisions are not applied to other similiar situations. The "Miranda ruling" didn't require every person who had not been read their rights at arrest to appeal their case to the SC.

IANAL, but ATF seemed to be applying the strictest interpretation of the National Firearms Act possible. It is the "firearm made from a rifle" language in the NFA that results in the ATF prosecution of these cases- so all of our ire cannot be directed solely at the ATF.

Common sense would tell me whether I have a handgun or a rifle in my hands. Being that my Glock left the factory as a handgun should not change that fact-ever. On the other hand it is rather dificult to actually make a rifle into another firearm without it looking like it was made from another firearm. When the NFA was passed, modular AR style firearms were decades from being invented, so typically the only "firearms made from a rifle" would have been bubba jobs- ie. rifles that had their barrel and buttstock sawed off to make a concealable firearm. It wouldn't be too much trouble for ATF to redefine what is a "firearm made from a rifle".

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old July 28, 2010, 11:07 AM   #32
paull

I own a mechtech 1911 conversion.
I use a 1911 "lower"...

I make certain that the BATFE is not in my livingroom when I disassemble the firearm to clean it.
I often will clean more than one 1911 pistol at the same sitting.
It is very frightening to know that I could have a bunch of felonies sitting on my table.

YMMV.
p
Old July 28, 2010, 11:11 AM   #33
jmorris

Quote:
I own a mechtech 1911 conversion.
I use a 1911 "lower"...

I make certain that the BATFE is not in my livingroom when I disassemble the firearm to clean it.
Thats not a problem putting a pistol upper back on is.
Old August 2, 2010, 03:03 PM   #34
Drummer101

This made me laugh,

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2u5McZ...55/new_weapon/
Old August 2, 2010, 04:50 PM   #35
lee n. field

Quote:
be willing to share their opinion as to if a Glock pistol can withstand the pressures of a carbine length barrel,
If Kel Tec and HiPoint can make one, I'm sure Glock can.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 12, 2011, 03:52 PM   #36
rjrivero

Impulse Gun barrels

Sorry to bring up this old thread. With the ATF Ruling 2011-4, I was interested in perhaps making a rifle conversion for one of my glocks. I went to find the Impulsegunbarrels.com site and it seems that it is down.

Does anyone know if there are any other sources for 16" Glock barrels?

Thanks in advance.
Old December 12, 2011, 06:00 PM   #37
C0untZer0

IGB makes all sorts of different sizes, here is their actual website:

http://www.igbaustria.com/index_files/Page326.htm

They don't export barrels to the US any longer.

You can get a Mech Tech carbine upper for your Glock - 16" barrel

http://www.mechtechsys.com/

The basic CCU:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg basic ccu.jpg (81.3 KB, 358 views)
Old December 23, 2011, 10:50 AM   #38
2ndChildhood

Carbine Conversion legalities - the final word

Hello All - I have been watching the discussion about "pistol-to-rifle-and-back"
legalities and there have been some significant updates by the BATF regarding this. I too have had hesitation about purchasing the Mech Tech but I am now satisfied that there are no BATF legal issues and I now own a Mech Tech. It turns out that Mech Tech has been beaten up by the legality thing and they have recently posted complete documentation on their forum. You can go there and study for yourself: http://www.mechtechsys.com/forum/vie....php?f=3&t=431
Also the American Rifleman magazine (Nov.2011 issue, Pg.90) in their ILA column clarifies in plain English that going from pistol to rifle and back does not violate BATF rules. As indicated on the Mech Tech site the BATF has recently ruled (July 25, 2011) that this is OK. This ruling has come about later than most of the post dates on this thread. A copy of the actual document is on the Mech Tech site - same link as above. This is good news for all such conversions and the people who want one of these as well as other manufacturers.
Old January 13, 2012, 12:29 PM   #39
GlockedNLoded32

GLOCK 32 .357 SIG With Hogue Grip,Trijicon Ghost Ring Night Sight, 3.5 Ghost trigger, Weatherby Vanguard .308 1:12 twist with Blackhawk Bipod and a Barska 6x24x60 IR SWAT SCOPE. - 168 Hornady AMAX loaded at 46 gr
Stoeger M2000 Max 4 SA 12 gauge
Old February 7, 2012, 08:47 PM   #40
C0untZer0

MDWguns is importing the IGBs again

http://www.mdwguns.com/Welcome_to_MDW_Guns.html

On IGB's website it says that the stock can be exported without restriction. I don't know if MDWguns is selling the stocks also... but I think you can order the stock directly from IGB.
Old February 8, 2012, 04:40 AM   #41
gyvel

Quote:
Glock Pistol Into A Carbine?
Sow's ear into a silk purse?
Old February 15, 2012, 08:32 PM   #42
Irish Glock

Glock stock

There used to be a add on foldable shoulder stock for the glock pistol called the Glock stock..I know it proably ran foul of the NFA act in the fact it made an illegal SBR conversion of the pistol??in the US.However in Europe it isnt a biggie at least in the Irish republic,as the pistol is liscensed,you can hang whatever you want on or off it.
Soo was wondering,as I have a gen 1 Glock and all the kits wont work on it due to lack of picitinny rails ,and lets not even go to changing the frame or gun under Irish firearms laws!!!Was thinking such a stock would be really nice.Now,I assume such a stock couldnt be sold very easily from the USA?
But how about plans ,measurements,photos and such??

If I had a drawing and measurements,I could get one built over here pretty easily.
Anyone have such or would this be a problem too?
Best
Irish Glock
Old February 16, 2012, 02:42 PM   #43
rjrivero

I don't know if either of these is "foldable." But they do work pretty well.
Available on Amazon. Claims it will fit on all Glock Models. I do not know if it will fit the Gen 1's though. I would call them and ask.
http://www.endotactical.com/products.html

I've used this one on a G18. Works okay, has a little flex. I like the "two point" one a little better as far as design goes.
http://www.zahal.org/products/tactic...o-941-handguns

Tags
glock carbine models , igb