The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 27, 2017, 12:07 PM   #26
Don Fischer

I'm not so sure that the guy you didn't see is really pleased about you checking him out with your scope!
Old December 27, 2017, 12:16 PM   #27
Stats Shooter

Quote:
I'm not so sure that the guy you didn't see is really pleased about you checking him out with your scope!
My dad's good friend was a game warden. When he would drive around in his truck with the logo and lights on it, he didn't even like to look through his bino's at those orange specs on the ridge....because every time he did there was a scoped rifle staring back at him. It makes a man a bit uneasy.
Old December 27, 2017, 03:44 PM   #28
Tallest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post

Context is everything. I hunt on a large plot of private, family land. If there is someone else there, he should be nervous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 27, 2017, 08:28 PM   #29
Mattj4867

I really appreciate everyone’s thoughts and opinions for helping me choose the best scope. After much research and studying, I’ve settled on a Vortex diamondback hp 3-12x42. Reports have shown that the glass is extremely clear, crisp, and acceptable in low light conditions. I will update my thoughts about it once it gets used. Thank you everyone.
Old December 28, 2017, 10:50 AM   #30
THE

I have a Vortex Viper HS 2.5X10-44 30mm tube. I like it . It is bright, clear and has good eye relief . I also have a Leopold VX 2 3X9. It is bright, clear and has good eye relief . I like he Leupold better. Both scopes are of the excellent quality, but my eyes prefer the optics of the Leopold. I am not sure why.
Old December 28, 2017, 04:19 PM   #31
Wrought

Leopolds are renowned for their clarity. I prefer vortex and burris. Just do a google search and youll find the right one for you, i wont tell you what to buy.
Old December 28, 2017, 05:20 PM   #32
TruthTellers

I have a Mueller 4-14x40 with adjustable objective. I specifically bought it for the AO and to be used on a .22 bolt action. I recently replaced the Mueller, which is about $140, with a Chinese made Simmons .22 Mag 3-9x32, which costs $40. The Mueller was just too heavy for a rimfire, but is was very clear and it is rated for .300 Win Mag.

Just figured I'd mention it. One of the posters said something about lifetime warranty being one of the most important things for a scope on a heavy recoiling rifle and I agree.
Old December 28, 2017, 05:57 PM   #33
Gus90

I'll put up another vote for the Vortex Crossfire. I put one on my 30-06 a couple years ago and have been very impressed by it.

I try not to get into the "what range of magnification" debate. All I'm gonna say is that each shooter is has a different comfort level as well as a different skill level. Therefore each shooter should fit their optic/gun combo to what they are most comfortable with and what will enable them to make the very best, most ethical shot possible. Its not up to me to make that decision for anyone else, or tell anyone that their optic is too big/powerful.
Old December 30, 2017, 11:21 AM   #34
3Crows

I bought one of the Cabela's special Nikons. It is a decent scope for the $129.00 and it is a 3X9X40. Put it on my new Savage Scout in conventional position, high mounted so I an keep my irons. Lifetime warranty. I wanted a nicer Nikon or Leupold and will still do something different but even so I can mount the cheapie on another rifle.

Glassing with a scope to identify a target, to me, it is a mortal sin. One cannot call a bullet back.
Old January 2, 2018, 10:32 AM   #35
Tallest

Quote:
Glassing with a scope to identify a target, to me, it is a mortal sin. One cannot call a bullet back.
The notion of "identify[ing] a target" leaves a lot to assumption. In the context of hunting, I have never shot anything I wasn't able to first identify with my naked eye.

And while the imperative to "never aim at something you aren't willing to destroy" is a very good one, I would say that being unaware of your situation/surroundings as well as the lack of control involved in an accidental or poorly planned discharge, which you "cannot call back," is a much more grievous sin than using a rifle optic to determine the specifics of a target.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old January 4, 2018, 10:36 PM   #36
Whistlebritches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattj4867 View Post
I really appreciate everyone’s thoughts and opinions for helping me choose the best scope. After much research and studying, I’ve settled on a Vortex diamondback hp 3-12x42. Reports have shown that the glass is extremely clear, crisp, and acceptable in low light conditions. I will update my thoughts about it once it gets used. Thank you everyone.
I had always used Leupolds with the exception of Simmons Aetec and a 44 Mag I've had for years.Bought a Vortex crossfire last year.It made 3 rounds to the range before crosshair pin broke internally.Got a full refund and bought an old reliable Leupold VX-1.Got a VX-2 for Christmas and outside of a possible Swarovski somewhere down the road I'll stick with Leupolds.....tried and true.
Old January 7, 2018, 12:00 PM   #37
Saltydog235

Throw every one of them in that price range in a box, tie a blindfold on and reach in the box and pick one. They are pretty much all the same. The glass is all sourced from LOW. They are all assembled in either the Phillipines or China and pretty much have the same durability and quality. Some may hold up better than others but, they will all fail eventually. The best thing going for you in those is a lifetime warranty, you'll use it.
Old January 7, 2018, 02:13 PM   #38
Whistlebritches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
Throw every one of them in that price range in a box, tie a blindfold on and reach in the box and pick one. They are pretty much all the same. The glass is all sourced from LOW. They are all assembled in either the Phillipines or China and pretty much have the same durability and quality. Some may hold up better than others but, they will all fail eventually. The best thing going for you in those is a lifetime warranty, you'll use it.
BULLPUCKEY..........While Leupold states on their website that they import their lenses due to an inability to source sufficient high quality supply in the US, they fabricate their scope bodies in Oregon and assemble the entire optic in the USA.From the VX-1 and up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E2tNKq7PPac
Old January 8, 2018, 12:14 AM   #39
Saltydog235

It’s all the same crap whether you want to believe it or not. It’s subbed out and all foreign components. It may be assembled in Oregon, doesn’t mean it’s any better, just means it carries a higher price tag because some union guy is putting it together, not a 12yo on an assembly line. A $300 optic is a $300 optic, none of them are marginally better than the others.

I’ve had 3 Nikons fail and two Leupolds fail. Both were repaired/replaced and neither was very good. Hard to trust something that lets you down like that. Though I have a bit more faith in the longevity of a Leupold, they’re lower end optics just aren’t that good. Low light performance sucks and that flair is the worst I’ve seen in any optic I’ve owned. Still have a few holdovers but I rarely use them. I’ve been tempted to try a VX5 or 6 HD but it’s difficult to do so when you can spend the same money for better like Ziess, Leica, Swarovski etc

I do admire the Leupold loyalty though, some people refuse to try something new. It’s fun to watch them when they experience looking through a better optic that costs the same. A buddy just did that with a Trijicon, his eyes are open now. Heck, my 9yo son just did it.
Old January 8, 2018, 01:53 PM   #40
Whistlebritches

Quote:
It’s all the same crap whether you want to believe it or not. It’s subbed out and all foreign components. It may be assembled in Oregon, doesn’t mean it’s any better, just means it carries a higher price tag because some union guy is putting it together, not a 12yo on an assembly line. A $300 optic is a $300 optic, none of them are marginally better than the others.

I’ve had 3 Nikons fail and two Leupolds fail. Both were repaired/replaced and neither was very good. Hard to trust something that lets you down like that. Though I have a bit more faith in the longevity of a Leupold, they’re lower end optics just aren’t that good. Low light performance sucks and that flair is the worst I’ve seen in any optic I’ve owned. Still have a few holdovers but I rarely use them. I’ve been tempted to try a VX5 or 6 HD but it’s difficult to do so when you can spend the same money for better like Ziess, Leica, Swarovski etc

I do admire the Leupold loyalty though, some people refuse to try something new. It’s fun to watch them when they experience looking through a better optic that costs the same. A buddy just did that with a Trijicon, his eyes are open now. Heck, my 9yo son just did it.
Last night I looked at what all was out there in my price range,under 3 bills.I really looked mostly at Nikon glass.........after several hours I still couldn't bring myself to do it and finally ordered another Leupold VX 2 3-9x40.IMHO best glass out there at that price,under $250 shipping and all.
Old January 9, 2018, 11:46 AM   #41
Saltydog235

You should have looked at Weaver Super Slam then. You’d of gotten a scope comparable to their VX3 at the price of their VX2.
Old January 9, 2018, 08:03 PM   #42
Whistlebritches

Quote:
You should have looked at Weaver Super Slam then. You’d of gotten a scope comparable to their VX3 at the price of their VX2.
After a brief Internet search it would seem it's been a while since you priced the Super Slams.Nothing even close to what I paid for my current vx2.Maybe you meant Kespa?Either way .......after years of use my Leupolds still working and not one failure to date.With that kind of track record it's doubtful I'll ever change nor need to.

Last edited by Whistlebritches; January 9, 2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old March 8, 2018, 08:18 AM   #43
Mattj4867

I’m very pleased with Diamondback HP. Very sharp and clear. I’ve since got a new rifle. What is the difference between the Burris droptine and Fullfield 2
Old March 8, 2018, 08:24 AM   #44
Mobuck

A: you don't need 4-12 for a 300 mag-you're not shooting at prairie dogs.
B: there are MANY good scopes for less than $250
I have dozens of scopes that are eminently suitable for hunting-none cost even close to $250. I only have a couple with more than 9X and those are on "range use" rifles that have never been hunting.
Old March 8, 2018, 09:08 AM   #45
Tallest

Quote:
A: you don't need 4-12 for a 300 mag-you're not shooting at prairie dogs.
B: there are MANY good scopes for less than $250
I have dozens of scopes that are eminently suitable for hunting-none cost even close to $250. I only have a couple with more than 9X and those are on "range use" rifles that have never been hunting.
I find posts like this quite common and very interesting.

There seems to be a prejudice against using any more magnification than absolutely necessary. It's kind of like the Jeep owners who have 4 wheel drive but won't use it until all other options, including the winch, are exhausted.

I have been blessed with exceptional vision. I don't need lots of magnification to see what I'm shooting at, but I like it all the same.

I find that the higher the magnification, the better able I am to perceive my own movement. With that awareness, the movement can be minimized.

And at distance, the higher the detail, the more the margin for error is minimized. If I can see my reticle on the middle of the front half of a deer at 300 yds with 8x magnification, great! But if I can see the shoulder profile and which way the wind is blowing the hair because I have 16x magnification, isn't that better?

I am in no way trying to fight those who feel allergic to too much magnification, but I am curious to understand the reasoning.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old March 8, 2018, 10:41 AM   #46
taylorce1

I don't get the aversion to high magnification either. If a hunter misses game because they forgot to dial down the power, they won't make that mistake more than once or twice. Also there are a lot of fixed 6X scopes still in use for hunting, so I believe any variable scope with a minimum power of 6X or less can be used effectively for hunting. My major issue with higher magnification scopes is they usually add more weight than I want to my rifles. I usually try to stick to 16 ounces or less for optics I'm going to hunt with.
Old March 8, 2018, 07:55 PM   #47
Guv

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete2 View Post
Leupold or a Leupold. Either one.
Again, Leupold, Leupold and one more Leupold.

And not just new! Plenty of fine used Leupold scopes with Life Time Warranties.
Old March 18, 2018, 10:29 AM   #48
Mr. Mike

Not sure if you are still looking for recommendations of scoping a .300 Win Mag. but on my model 70 in that same caliber, while living in Alaska, I finally mounted a Leopold 1.5X5. Tried many others, one lost both cross hairs after one shot.. . Zero'd it at 1 inch high at 200 yds and shot dead on from 50-350 yrds. Loaded 180 grain for all critters except the big bears, then 220 grain Barnes. This was in the 1970-80 time period.