The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 23, 2022, 09:06 PM   #1
USAF Ret
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2017
Posts: 614
Ruger No. 1 Scope Fitment and Eye Relief

Inputs appreciated.

Bought a Ruger No.1A IN 270 Win. Been reading about eye relief with scope mount being so far forward. Rifle should be here end of next week.

I got a set of medium offset rings to allow mounting further back. I have a short LOP and neck issues so most of my rifle scopes are mounted a bit further back, anyway. Putting a Burris Fullfield E1 4.5-14x42mm on it. Scope has an eye relief of 3.1" - 3.8".

Thoughts on this being enough without having to crawl up on the scope? Any other suggestions? Not above getting a scope with more eye relief. Heard the Zeiss Conquest has a true 4" eye relief. Maybe even cutting the stock down a little to fit better (not worried about resale as this will be a keeper).

Thanks.
USAF Ret is offline  
Old November 24, 2022, 12:21 AM   #2
44 AMP
Staff
 
Join Date: March 11, 2006
Location: Upper US
Posts: 26,526
Get the rifle. Loosely mount the scope to allow easy movement, wear the clothes you'll be wearing when hunting (coat, etc) and see how the stock fits you and how you fit it. And where to position the scope for best, full eye relief, if possible.

Then you'll know if you need extended rings different scope, or anything else that needs doing.

Until you have the rifle to test fit to yourself, its all just guess work and I wouldn't recommend spending money on a wild guess when a little patience will tell you if it needs spending, or not.
__________________
All else being equal (and it almost never is) bigger bullets tend to work better.
44 AMP is online now  
Old November 24, 2022, 11:39 AM   #3
USAF Ret
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2017
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Get the rifle. Loosely mount the scope to allow easy movement, wear the clothes you'll be wearing when hunting (coat, etc) and see how the stock fits you and how you fit it. And where to position the scope for best, full eye relief, if possible.

Then you'll know if you need extended rings different scope, or anything else that needs doing.

Until you have the rifle to test fit to yourself, its all just guess work and I wouldn't recommend spending money on a wild guess when a little patience will tell you if it needs spending, or not.
Yes sir. We shall see.
USAF Ret is offline  
Old November 24, 2022, 12:49 PM   #4
old roper
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 11, 2007
Posts: 2,135
USAF Ret. I put standard rings on my #1 and I have standard one piece base. My scope is Leupold 3x9 for that rifle. My eye relief is 4.1/4"

https://www.eabco.net/Ruger-Number-O...e_p_14160.html


Are you getting base with rifle?

Good place to get things #1 PM if you want
__________________
Semper Fi
Vietnam 1965
VFW Life member
NRA Life Member

Last edited by old roper; November 24, 2022 at 12:54 PM.
old roper is offline  
Old November 24, 2022, 06:30 PM   #5
USAF Ret
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2017
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by old roper View Post
USAF Ret. I put standard rings on my #1 and I have standard one piece base. My scope is Leupold 3x9 for that rifle. My eye relief is 4.1/4"

https://www.eabco.net/Ruger-Number-O...e_p_14160.html


Are you getting base with rifle?

Good place to get things #1 PM if you want
No sir. I did not get that, but probably should have. The Ruger rings are expensive. I will keep that as a backup plan, thank you.

Which model Leupold 3x9 do you have?
USAF Ret is offline  
Old November 24, 2022, 09:12 PM   #6
old roper
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 11, 2007
Posts: 2,135
USAF Ret, scope is old vari-x II. My other 2-#1 have different mounts. Well good luck.
__________________
Semper Fi
Vietnam 1965
VFW Life member
NRA Life Member
old roper is offline  
Old November 25, 2022, 06:54 PM   #7
Scorch
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 13, 2006
Location: Washington state
Posts: 15,143
With older, long tube scopes the Ruger mount system works fine. With the shorter scopes today, it's hard to get the scopes far enough back unless you use aftermarket scope mounts and offset rings.
__________________
Never try to educate someone who resists knowledge at all costs.
But what do I know?
Summit Arms Services
Scorch is offline  
Old November 25, 2022, 09:49 PM   #8
USAF Ret
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2017
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
With older, long tube scopes the Ruger mount system works fine. With the shorter scopes today, it's hard to get the scopes far enough back unless you use aftermarket scope mounts and offset rings.
Scorch, any of the newer scopes with longer tubes? Looking on the interweb and most of them have the shorter tubes.

The Leupold VX-Freedom 4-12x40mm looks like it has a pretty long tube compared to most scopes.

Been looking at used VX-2 scopes on e-bay. Would like to run across new old stock.

Last edited by USAF Ret; November 25, 2022 at 10:03 PM.
USAF Ret is offline  
Old November 25, 2022, 10:53 PM   #9
sako2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: April 12, 2009
Posts: 697
Look at the Burris and Vortex scopes. They may have some.
sako2 is offline  
Old November 25, 2022, 11:02 PM   #10
sako2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: April 12, 2009
Posts: 697
Check europtics.com. Click on a scope and it gives you the spec's on it including the eye relief.
sako2 is offline  
Old November 25, 2022, 11:25 PM   #11
old roper
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 11, 2007
Posts: 2,135
USAF Ret. If you check specs on Freedom 4x12 and spec on Freedom 3x9 they have same spec Length 12.49" and total mount length 5.49".

The 3x9 scope I have is same length as 4x12 I have @ 12.3" length.

Just call Leupold and remember Ruger #1 doesn't have same action as bolt rifle.
__________________
Semper Fi
Vietnam 1965
VFW Life member
NRA Life Member
old roper is offline  
Old November 25, 2022, 11:27 PM   #12
Drm50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 10, 2014
Posts: 1,257
I just went through musical scopes on #3 Ruger. I’m in Ohio and have to use straight case cartridge. Mine is 375 and has a little recoil. To get eye relief I had to use twin offset rings.
Also couldn’t use the Leupold 2.5x scope I bought for it. The rear ring blocks travel for eye relief on the boss the adjustments are mounted. All the usual low power have same problem.
The scopes like Weaver K4, Redfieds, Leupolds of same contour will work. I wanted lowest power possible so I ended up with Leupold 2x7 which worked out fine.
Just got it sighted and Ohio opens Monday.

* The listed lengths don’t mean jack on #1 & #3 Rugers. The measurement between objective bell to turret boss is main determining factor.

Last edited by Drm50; November 25, 2022 at 11:34 PM.
Drm50 is offline  
Old November 26, 2022, 12:01 PM   #13
USAF Ret
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2017
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by old roper View Post
USAF Ret. If you check specs on Freedom 4x12 and spec on Freedom 3x9 they have same spec Length 12.49" and total mount length 5.49".

The 3x9 scope I have is same length as 4x12 I have @ 12.3" length.

Just call Leupold and remember Ruger #1 doesn't have same action as bolt rifle.
Much appreciated. I have the offset rings. Going to play with he scopes I have to see if they work. I have a Burris Fullfield E1 and Sig Whiskey 3 without a home. If those don't work, I may order the Leupold.
USAF Ret is offline  
Old November 26, 2022, 12:02 PM   #14
USAF Ret
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2017
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by sako2 View Post
Check europtics.com. Click on a scope and it gives you the spec's on it including the eye relief.
Will do!
USAF Ret is offline  
Old November 26, 2022, 12:03 PM   #15
USAF Ret
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2017
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
I just went through musical scopes on #3 Ruger. I’m in Ohio and have to use straight case cartridge. Mine is 375 and has a little recoil. To get eye relief I had to use twin offset rings.
Also couldn’t use the Leupold 2.5x scope I bought for it. The rear ring blocks travel for eye relief on the boss the adjustments are mounted. All the usual low power have same problem.
The scopes like Weaver K4, Redfieds, Leupolds of same contour will work. I wanted lowest power possible so I ended up with Leupold 2x7 which worked out fine.
Just got it sighted and Ohio opens Monday.

* The listed lengths don’t mean jack on #1 & #3 Rugers. The measurement between objective bell to turret boss is main determining factor.
I have ordered the same. Should get the rifle next week. So, I will play around with it next weekend. I may have the LOP cut down a 1/2" as I have a very short LOP. Could help.
USAF Ret is offline  
Old November 26, 2022, 12:24 PM   #16
USAF Ret
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2017
Posts: 614
Worse comes to worse, I can go old school and use the iron sights. Haha.
USAF Ret is offline  
Old November 26, 2022, 06:09 PM   #17
Drm50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 10, 2014
Posts: 1,257
If it was possible to mount a good quality receiver sight like a Lyman 66, I wouldnt fool with a scope. Bill Ruger designed a beautiful rifle but he must have been behind the door when engineering for scope mounting went on. The heavy barrel #1s are much easier to scope than Sporters.
Also the scope selection in this country has reversed. Use to be Varibles we’re not popular or desirable. There were straight powers like snowflakes. People use to hunt, now they snipe from stands with magnums and 4x12 scopes, to shoot deer at 50yds. Use to be most guys had 4x scopes on deer guns here in East. Now the straight powers are specialty scopes and cost big dollar.
Season comes in Monday and I’m sure I’ll see dozens of Marlin 1895 carbines with 4x12 scopes cruising around town.
Drm50 is offline  
Old November 26, 2022, 08:43 PM   #18
USAF Ret
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2017
Posts: 614
I just replaced a 3-9 on my Marlin 30-30 with a variable 1-6. Made a huge difference.

Have also seen, fixed scopes for for a lot these days.

I also have pretty bad eyesight, so the extra magnification helps a lot.
USAF Ret is offline  
Old December 3, 2022, 08:04 PM   #19
USAF Ret
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2017
Posts: 614
Well, I got the No.1 in today. Mounted a Burris and a SIG with the offset scope rings. Not anywhere close to being able to see through the scope. I am having to ride up 3-4 inches and can't even get a good trigger pull at that point.

Going to try a the weaver slip on. If I don't get the eye relief needed, I may go to a scout scope. Not sure I can get the relief I need due to my short stature and neck issues.

If that doesn't work, I either use open sites or sell it. Live and learn.

Last edited by USAF Ret; December 3, 2022 at 08:41 PM.
USAF Ret is offline  
Old December 3, 2022, 10:50 PM   #20
44 AMP
Staff
 
Join Date: March 11, 2006
Location: Upper US
Posts: 26,526
I have a No.3 in .45-70 which wears an old Weaver 2.5x Post w/crosswire and have no trouble at all with eye relief.

new isn't always better...
__________________
All else being equal (and it almost never is) bigger bullets tend to work better.
44 AMP is online now  
Old December 3, 2022, 11:00 PM   #21
USAF Ret
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2017
Posts: 614
Yeah, my LOP and neck issues usually have me extending scopes back about as far as they can go on my bolt guns. I think I may have figured out a way to remedy the situation. I have a picatinny rail I ordered that, according to the measurements, should fit. I also ordered an adjustable offset one piece scope mount from Monstrum. I think this should get the scope where I need it to be. It will get me about another 3" to the rear. We shall see.

I hate the Ruger scope rings. They need to be lapped. For what I paid for them, they should have better fitment. Got a feeling I will be returning a lot of items.

I love that little rifle. With the 22" barrel, it is like a 270 carbine. If I can get the groups I want reloading, it will be a heck of an elk rifle for mountain hunting.

Last edited by USAF Ret; December 3, 2022 at 11:07 PM.
USAF Ret is offline  
Old December 4, 2022, 09:17 PM   #22
taylorce1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 18, 2005
Location: On the Santa Fe Trail
Posts: 7,869
I was going to suggest the rail from EGW for 1B and 1S rifles. Looks like you may have found it.
__________________
NRA Life Member
taylorce1 is offline  
Old December 4, 2022, 11:04 PM   #23
USAF Ret
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2017
Posts: 614
I did. I measured the screw spaces and I think it should fit the sporter. Plus the offset scope mount should get me where I need to be. Thanks.
USAF Ret is offline  
Old December 7, 2022, 08:01 PM   #24
USAF Ret
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2017
Posts: 614
So, here is my issue. I ordered a rail for my No.1 Sporter. I was told by EGW to measure the bolts and it should fit if they match. I measured and they match. However, when I went to install, the base is just a little too long and rides over where the barrel meets the action. I also have the Weaver slip-on coming in to see if that works. Should I...

1) Send it back to EGW.
2) Dremmel the back edge of the rail to remove the portion riding over?

Looking at the contour, I think it would fit if I removed a little bit from the rail.

Pic attached and opinions very welcome.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger Number 1 rail (2).jpg (25.9 KB, 72 views)
USAF Ret is offline  
Old December 7, 2022, 08:41 PM   #25
USAF Ret
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2017
Posts: 614
Good advice from taylorce1 offline. Contacted EGW to get advice on what to do. This rifle has a new barrel, so not sure if it's the rail or the rifle.
USAF Ret is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2021 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: thefiringline.com
Page generated in 0.11547 seconds with 9 queries