The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 1, 2022, 03:36 PM   #51
corneileous

Nope, no just-one-gun-for-everything for me.

All of my guns work well for home defense but the Springfield XDE 45 is the primary every day carry.

Beretta PX4 storm compact 9 mm is my alternate carry gun for when I’m not at work and when it’s too cold to wear my shorts that have big pockets for the XDE.

My full-size Beretta PX4 storm 40 that I keep locked up in the personal gun safe on top of my nightstand would probably be my primary home defense gun.

The full size Beretta PX4 storm 45 stays holstered on the side of my backpack that I take with me when I go to work as my truck gun that’s easier to access than the Springfield that’s in my front pocket and lastly my full size, fully stainless steel Sig P220 Elite 10mm is my woods gun that I take for going on hikes and stuff like that outdoors.

I have a little North American Arms 22 magnum mini revolver that I should be carrying as a back up pistol but for now it just stays in the nightstand safe with the PX4 40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 2, 2022, 06:36 AM   #52
CajunBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
Whatever I happen to have on me at the moment.
Pretty much the same for me.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old September 2, 2022, 12:01 PM   #53
totaldla

M&P40c 2.0 4" barrel

For me it is the M&P40c 2.0. I reload 40sw, so it is "mild to wild" because this pistol has the best casehead support I've ever seen. I bought a bunch of 180gr Speer GD and Winchester RangerX when the police were changing over to 9mm, so I've got lots of fancy JHP.
I like the size of the pistol, the aggressive grip texture, the reliability and the versatility of the cartridge.
Old September 3, 2022, 04:27 PM   #54
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
The pistol I'm carrying is the one that is going to be used for HD; when I put my cargo shorts on a holstered Glock goes on belt.
If I'm wearing shorts, I'm carrying a Glock on belt, all day, everywhere or going nowhere.
Glock 17 or 22 - either would work.
However, since I put RDS on my MOS Glock 34 and 35 I've been carrying one of those ... In the FL heat and despite being in a "good area".
It's been my experience that Alligator run ins are likely in Florida. Would a Glock 17 or 22 be "the gun preferred in hand" if you had to defend yourself against an alligator in a bad area?
Old September 3, 2022, 05:12 PM   #55
44 AMP
Staff

I think my preferred gun in hand vs alligator attack would be an M79.

Of course, the best defense is the Miyagi defense...

"No be there!"
Old September 3, 2022, 05:21 PM   #56
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglum View Post
It's been my experience that Alligator run ins are likely in Florida. Would a Glock 17 or 22 be "the gun preferred in hand" if you had to defend yourself against an alligator in a bad area?
IIRC the 22LR is used by many professional alligator hunters. The issue is not caliber but just like Real Estate; location. Location, LOCATION. It is really about where the gator gets shot and unless you are knowledgeable or really lucky the gator likely wins.
Old September 4, 2022, 06:32 AM   #57
Sarge

An XD45 Subcompact. Pearce +1 extension on the short mags for 10+1 and a better grip; 13 round mags for more ammo.

Old September 4, 2022, 01:52 PM   #58
treg

Flavor of the day usually does night stand duty, from .22 to .44.
It's all about getting to the 12 gauge.
Old September 4, 2022, 08:20 PM   #59
jonnyc

I don't get some of the "Do-It-All" choices. To me, that means it is adequate and capable of accomplishing ALL the possible requirements of a handgun...from plinking, to small-game hunting, to self and home defense. I proposed my S&W 317. Many of the choices above are only capable of performing one or two of the necessary functions of a "Do-It-All" handgun, but not most or all.
Old September 6, 2022, 03:58 PM   #60
TailGator

My most common carry also serves as my bedside pistol. It's a Glock 26. I have another pistol for occasional pocket carry, and still others for range use, but the G26 is a versatile pistol that I shoot well.

The alligator discussion is kind of amusing to this guy who has lived in Florida for 61 of his 65 years. I see them all the time, and have never had one acted aggressively towards me. I have shooed them out of the road to keep them from getting hit, and treated them (I am a veterinarian). I know how to handle them, and I exercise some care, but those are not the predators that cause me to carry a pistol.
Old September 8, 2022, 06:38 PM   #61
ChimpMunk20

I'd go with the service Berreta PX Storm. it's designed with no snaggable edges and has a good capacity. 9mm and .40cal.
Old September 9, 2022, 05:37 AM   #62
kymasabe

My S&W SD9 fills many roles around here, is CCW, is bedside gun, truck gun, camping gun, range gun, etc.
16+1 of 9mm, Apex spring kit, and a TLR7, and it's been a great gun.
Old September 13, 2022, 09:59 AM   #63
Jack19

Glock 19.
Old September 15, 2022, 07:51 PM   #64
rodfac

I'm going to post a 2nd choice here after finding that I agree with many previous posters that chose a K framed, duty size .357. In my case, I have several but the M-66 Smith, a stainless steel beauty with a buttery DA trigger, makes the most sense. While we're at it, chose it with a 4 inch barrel too...that'll enhance the accuracy, & the weight will absorb more recoil; then learn to dress around it for concealed carry.

Simplicity of manual of arms: Revolvers rule in this category. Just pull the trigger. No magazine worries, no feeding problems, no 'limp wristing' problems if your grip is not quite right, no safety to engage/disengage etc. In most cases, new shooters will require far less training to operate the gun, but may/will require more to attain good/great ability. But for close in, 3-8 yard or less defensive shooting, a wheel gun'll do nicely.

Targets, and/or training with relatively new shooters....wadcutters at ~750 fps are easier to master while learning and lots of fun later on.

Night stand: .357 Magnum medium loads...maybe home crafted to the old 'FBI' standard of 950 fps...140 gr JHP's will shorten the recoil recovery time and give good penetration with out 'over doing it'.

Concealed carry: Replace the Smith target stocks with Jerry Mikulek's DA grips and load it up with 135 gr Speer Gold Dots of .38 Special +P persuasion, (great defensive loads universally known for their effectiveness). The Special's shorter case length enhances ejection and also makes reloading easier. And finally, their reduced recoil allows quicker 2nd shots if necessary.

Round the farm: Full house .357 Magnum LSWC's for unruly or sick stock that will also due for deer inside 50 yds with accurate placement.

Availability: Both guns and loads are found in nearly every crossroad gun shop except in times of panic buying.

Here's one on my son's hip...an ex-LEO veteren...in a rig we use often. And another in my usual carry position with Mikulek grips...a real boon to DA control and accuracy.

Best regards, Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; September 15, 2022 at 08:06 PM.
Old September 16, 2022, 04:42 AM   #65
Super Sneaky Steve

There's a lot of guns I could pick, but the one I actually pick is an LCR in .38 Spl. It's so light I don't even know I have it on me and it fits in my pocket which is the only way I can carry with two small kids treating me like a jungle gym. It's the safest gun to carry and powerful enough. I may not shoot a deer with it but I guess I could. It's very accurate for a little gun and I've got a 3" to match that would probably be a better "do everything" gun but the little brother is just way easier to stick in my shorts.
Old September 16, 2022, 02:32 PM   #66
The Happy kaboomer

1911 in 45acp or a S&W revolver.
Old September 16, 2022, 10:22 PM   #67
Gas Bag

Right now it is a S&W 4046. It will do about anything that needs doing.
Old September 18, 2022, 01:03 PM   #68
chaim

If I was to pick just one gun to do everything (I'm not a hunter so we're talking home defense, carry and range in my case), it would be tough.

First, a disclaimer... I live in MD. Until recently, it was difficult for most people to get a carry permit here (if you weren't a cop, judge, prosecutor, or business owner, it was almost impossible). I have carried for a while when out of state on a UT permit, but what you can comfortably carry for a couple hours, or for a few days, may not be the same as what is comfortable day to day, every day.

So, I'm in the Glock 19 sized crowd (I don't own any Glocks, just using that as a comparison that most people are familiar with). In that category, my main choice (and frequent carry when out of state) is a CZ P01/PCR. Being an aluminum alloy handgun, it is a little heavier and thicker than the Glock though. So, it is possible that I would replace mine (and I love my CZs) with a polymer Glock 19 or S&W M&P 9 Compact M2.0 if I was actually going to do this. In fact, now that I'm about to have a MD permit (just waiting for them to process my application), I have finally bought a SIG P365 for carry, and I am seriously thinking about buying a M&P 9 Compact M2.0 or Glock 19 to compliment the SIG 365 and CZ P01 and PCR (I may trade the P01 on it since I don't really need both the P01 and PCR). If it turned out that that is just a little large on a day to day basis, my older (1st gen) S&W M&P 40c is fine at the range (especially with extended 15 round mags with a sleeve), so that or a Glock 26 with the larger gun's mag may become the choice.

Luckily, most of us who have been shooting more than a few years don't need to make such a choice, but there is a reason a Glock 19, CZ PCR/P01, SIG 320 Compact, S&W M&P M2.0 Compact, etc. are great recommendations for a first gun. They are the modern version of the venerable 3" or 4" K-frame revolver, large enough to serve as a service weapon, small enough for carry.

Last edited by chaim; September 18, 2022 at 01:10 PM.
Old September 20, 2022, 04:37 PM   #69
dstryr

It comes down to what we own and what we put our faith in. Primarily I carry P229 Legion .40. Occasionally an FN 509 Compact with extended mag. They're both super reliable, fit my paws and I shoot them well.

http://www.dstryr.com/
Old September 21, 2022, 12:10 AM   #70
Nick_C_S

My "desert island" gun is my S&W 686, 4" bbl. It's just a darn good gun and I shoot it well.
Old September 21, 2022, 07:59 PM   #71
P Flados

Like many others have noted, "do it all" is very subjective.

I do not carry.

I do not feel I need a handgun for self protection.

I do not hunt anymore.

I mostly shoot for the fun of it.

I do have one application that is more demanding. I have two guns that are suitable for knocking down rams at 200 meters. The Dan Wesson 357 Maximum IHMSA special is just huge and is not really fun for casual shooting. A TC Contender on the other hand does pretty good for fun shooting. This is with a variety of the barrels I have for it.

So I guess my "do it all" would be the TC. And if I ever do go hunting again, I have many great barrels for this purpose.

Last edited by P Flados; September 21, 2022 at 08:06 PM.
Old September 23, 2022, 09:23 AM   #72
UncleEd

Do all?

Have a dull life.

So, S&W Combat Masterpiece .38.
Old September 24, 2022, 07:41 AM   #73
SR420

I do all pistol is the one I can get to when I need a pistol to do pistol things.

It's that simple.
Old September 24, 2022, 04:32 PM   #74
Moonglum

this is what I carry most often
Old September 25, 2022, 12:03 PM   #75
treg

Ruger FT .44 Spl