The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 30, 2009, 10:03 PM   #51
doza615

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDpbp...layer_embedded
Old October 30, 2009, 10:07 PM   #52
doza615

This ones better

Sorry this one is better. Also we don't know if they're using .380
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaXcX...eature=related
Old October 30, 2009, 10:08 PM   #53
DasFriek

I just went with Hornady Critical Defense 9mm in my new PPS,but would love some Ranger T also.In any caliber matter of fact,its a great looking round every time i see it being tested.But sadly if im ever gonna get my hands on any ill have to order it off the net.

I will admit i cheeped out on my .380 carry ammo.I had the choice of the $35 box of DPX or a $22 box of Gold Dots.Had it been anything less than GD's tho i would have paid for the DPX,its just the GD's are great ammo and the DPX wasn't worth me paying $13 more for them.

Another point also.I know the GD's and the DPX are well respected as being reliable in expansion.But in a .380 i don't feel its all that bad if one doesn't open up.Any larger caliber it would make a BIG difference imo.

A .380 that doesn't expand may barely exit out the other side depending on what it hits.Tho not wasting much energy if it exits,but still doing less damage.A 9mm that exits unexpanded is a big waste of energy and will have considerably less damage than a .380 that did expand.

As you can tell im no big number or fact kinda guy,i just go by what i read,see and feel.But i try and stay realistic and accurate.
Old October 30, 2009, 11:06 PM   #54
Water-Man

Double Tap 95gr. FMJ.
Old October 31, 2009, 01:48 AM   #55
Bill DeShivs

"but that flies in the face of their decades long popularity, was the 1903 Colt a bad self defense choice for Teddy Roosevelt?"

No, but that is all that was available then. In the 1960s, when hollowpoint ammunition was coming into it's own, the .32 and .380 were considered substandard because they were only available in FMJ. Now that good expanding ammunition is available the calibers are considered viable once again. Then the "FBI penetration recommendations" came out and were misinterpreted by a lot of people. These same people are now recommending FMJ on bad information!
Old October 31, 2009, 01:55 AM   #56
Bill DeShivs

" cant comment on .32 or .25 as i find them useless,seriously they are.A .380 can be had in the same size any .22 .25 .32 gun is made.
But that doesnt mean i think the world of .380,its just barely acceptable in my book."

There is not a lot of difference between .32 acp and .380.
Besides, many people already have a .25 or .32 and don't want to go buy a new .380. Shouldn't they be afforded modern ammunition, too?
The LCP and P3AT are locked breech guns that are capable of handling the hottest loads-even though the manufacturers recommend against it, and it WILL wear the gun faster. A solid copper bullet will not expand at handgun velocities.
Old October 31, 2009, 10:13 AM   #57
LightningJoe

Quote:
You are entitled to your opinion, but it's wrong.

You're not entitled to an opinion until you can provide a cogent explanation.
Old October 31, 2009, 11:33 AM   #58
comn-cents

LightningJoe "You're not entitled to an opinion":barf::barf:

WOW!
Old October 31, 2009, 02:16 PM   #59
LightningJoe

Quote:
LightningJoe "You're not entitled to an opinion"

WOW!

Not if you don't have any reasoning. If your opinions don't have anything behind them, they're not worth anything. Just listen.
Old October 31, 2009, 02:48 PM   #60
Renfield

Quote:
No, but that is all that was available then. In the 1960s, when hollowpoint ammunition was coming into it's own, the .32 and .380 were considered substandard
I wonder what sort of ammunition John Moses Browning himself carried in his
.32ACP

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends"
Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Orators are most vehement when their cause is weak" Marcus Tullius Cicero

Old October 31, 2009, 03:09 PM   #61
comn-cents

LightningJoe "Not if you don't have any reasoning. If your opinions don't have anything behind them, they're not worth anything. Just listen".

No it's an opinion, No one has to justify their OPINION to anyone. The END!
Old October 31, 2009, 03:25 PM   #62
LightningJoe

Quote:
No it's an opinion, No one has to justify their OPINION to anyone. The END!

Ha ha haaa!
Old October 31, 2009, 03:38 PM   #63
amd6547

I sometimes carry a Browning 1910/55 380 (sometimes? Heck, it is in my belt right now!).
I have yet to try any JHP's in it, but I am perfectly satisfied with FMJ's...My Browning points like a finger, and I want penetration in this caliber. In fact, I sometimes carry a pistol in 9mm makarov caliber (CZ82 or P64), and I use FMJ in that, also.
I will never try Buffalo ammo, due to the ridiculous price. I may order some DoubleTap, though. Their ammo is high performance, and priced much more reasonably. I have had great results in the other calibers I have bought from them.