The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 27, 2009, 07:51 PM   #1
boltaction

Grandads shotgun II

This 2nd gun was my grandads too but it is very much in working order. I use it to turkey hunt and it works out quite well. On the side it says
(The Buhl Club). Anyone have any knowledge of this gun? Thanks

Guns 004.JPG

Guns 003.JPG
Old December 28, 2009, 11:27 AM   #2
boltaction

Here's some more info and a pic. On the top of the gun it says 'Fine Laminated Steel".

Guns 007.JPG

Guns 010.JPG

Guns 015.JPG

Last edited by boltaction; December 28, 2009 at 02:32 PM. Reason: add pics
Old December 28, 2009, 03:47 PM   #3
Uncle Buck

OK, Boltaction, Stop!

Stop with the pictures!
My grandfather never left me anything that looked so nice and my father isn't planning on leaving me the good looking ones anyway! I am jealous.

I can not wait to see what this is. What gauge is it?
Old December 28, 2009, 04:11 PM   #4
boltaction

Hey Uncle Buck, The gun is a 12 ga. I'm really not interested in the money value of the gun, I'm just looking for background and history.
Old December 28, 2009, 04:48 PM   #5
mapsjanhere

The proof marks are Belgian.
Old January 1, 2010, 10:51 PM   #6
jbrown

I have a very similar sxs marked "stanley arms","belgium" and "twist".this one is very fragile,and I wouldnt dare fire it.The hammers and other features are very similar.I removed the one firing pin that I could,to keep anyone from firing it.
I has the same rounded pistol grip stock,although this one is checkered,and the same hammers and triggers,trigger guard,but the action and fore end is somewhat different.
The wrist was broken when I got it( thats why no one else wanted it) and the action locking mechanism and firing pin on the right was badly worn, as well as the action, is quite worn,and fragile.I have had to repair the stock twice,the last with screws and pins(it kept breaking from being handled) .Im sure you ve heard it before,but I wouldnt fire it with the laminated ,or twist barrels,it would be a shame to burst a barrel or get injured.

Last edited by jbrown; January 1, 2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old January 2, 2010, 07:18 AM   #7
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

The photo looks like New Rival Shotgun, A trade nnane used by Crescent Firearms Co & H&D Folson on guns for Van Camps Hardware & Iron Co of Indianapolis Indiana. It in all probability is a "Hardware Gun" imported by Cresent and H&D Folson

The photo also looks like the NEW HAVEN ARMS Co sxs, The New Haven was a gun imported from Belgium my E.K. Tryon of Philadelphia PA and Great Western Gun Workss of Pittsburg PA
They both could have been imported, from the same company in Belgium under different names

Mr Harley
Old January 2, 2010, 03:58 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

The gun is Belgian, or at least the barrels are. In the period 1880-1914, American importers brought in Belgian shotguns literally by the ton, and even some big name American makers used Belgian barrels.

Some Belgian guns were of excellent quality, but most were somewhat short of that, being made to sell for $20 or less when a good quality gun would run 3-5 times that. Mostly they were adequate at that time for hunting, but most seen today are worn out and even dangerous.

Laminated steel is sometimes confused with Damascus, but there is a difference. The problem at the time was that barrel makers had not been able to drill a long straight hole in solid steel, so barrels were made by either twisting thin rods of iron and steel together, heating and hammer welding the result into a larger bar, then heating that bar, wrapping it around a mandrel and again heating and welding the bars together, in a spiral pattern that looked like a barber pole. The result, called Damascus, was often very attractive, but all those joints made it weak and corrosion and rust over the years have made those barrels even weaker.

Laminated steel barrels were made in a similar way, except that instead of bars, they used strips of steel, heating them white hot, wrapping them around the barrel, and welding them together the same way as Damascus.

I strongly recommend that any gun with Damascus or Laminated steel barrels not be fired, and certainly not fired with modern smokeless powder loads.

Jim
Old January 3, 2010, 10:04 AM   #9
Gottleib Schwartz

Buhl

Buhl was the surname of major Detroit Mich wealthy businessmen in the 1900-1930's- where in Michigan are you located?
Old January 3, 2010, 11:14 AM   #10
boltaction

Thanks to everyone who has replied. This is more info than I ever would have imagined I would have gotten. Hi Gottleib Schwartz, I'm in the mid-western part of the state but my grandad lived in the Lum, Imlay City area of the thumb and most likley bought the gun somewhere in that area.