The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 19, 2008, 10:30 PM   #1
RichW

Steyr Mannlicher Problem with Hammer

I am trying to figure out what is wrong with a M1907 Steyr Mannlicher. When triggered, the hammer stops just short of striking the firing pin. I can't see any obstruction and it is clean. There is a safety that would prevent the hammer striking but it is not the problem. Any one got any ideas or know where I might find an exploded diagram? Thank you.

Rich W
Old June 20, 2008, 12:46 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't recall a Model 1907, only the Model 1900/1901/1905, all of which are, for practical purposes, identical.

If the safety is disengaged (up) I can't think of anything that would block the hammer. Note that the hammer is the rebound type so that in dry firing it looks like it doesn't hit the firing pin, but actually does, then rebounds to allow a gap for the safety. To check, try pushing the hammer forward from the rebound position; it should strike the firing pin.

You can check firing pin action with the old "pencil test", using a pencil inserted in the barrel eraser end to the rear.

Have fun with that old gun. Ammo and clips are hard to get these days, though both used to be fairly common when the Argentine guns came in.

Jim

Last edited by James K; June 20, 2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old October 24, 2008, 06:00 AM   #3
DELLISON43

1905 Mannlicher Styer 7.65

Jim Keenan

Did you ever get any information on your problem, I am having the same issue.

Were you ever able to find a copy of a take down diagram of the pistol?

Ammo Brass is hard to come by, but you can load your own, BUFFALO ARMS in northern Idaho stocks it, it is made from 32-20 brass that is shortened and a extractor groove milled in it. The brass run about $.50 each and they also have the reloading dies and bullets.

Dennis Ellison
Old October 24, 2008, 04:24 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Dellison43,

It was not my problem, the OP was RichW; I was trying to help him.

FWIW, I don't know of any diagram of that gun but it is absurdly simple to detail strip; just about everything is on the outside of the frame.

I have some original ammo, but haven't fired the gun in years. IIRC, it is not very impressive.

Jim