The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 2, 1999, 08:21 PM   #1
John G

Where is a good place to go for custom engraving of a firearm? What's a decent price to expect? I'm from NY, is there anywhere around here?

------------------
Better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.
www.acs.brockport.edu/~jg5708/gunclub.htm

Old May 3, 1999, 09:44 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

John G:
That would depend upon the Mfg. If it were me, I would contact the Mfg. find out if they do engraving. Many of them do engraving in their custom shops, and doing it on their own gun would make a better product.

As far as price, I really don't know. In your part of the country probably an arm, leg, and a pair of shoes to match. The Craftsman tells the price.

HJN
Old May 3, 1999, 01:50 PM   #3
Paul B.

John. If you can afford it, and the factory does the work, I would go that route. I had an S&W model 66 that somebody engraved. I can't even get what I paid for it because it was done by someone unknown.( I bought it that way for $450.) The work on it is excellent, by the way.
Paul B.
COMPROMISE IS NOT AN OPTION!
Old May 3, 1999, 02:31 PM   #4
John G

It's a Browning Hi-power. Does Browning do custom pistol engraving?

------------------
Better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.
www.acs.brockport.edu/~jg5708/gunclub.htm

Old May 12, 1999, 06:43 PM   #5
Tallison

Go to someone nationally known www.mackoolfirearms.com Then the money is not wasted.....
Old May 12, 1999, 10:22 PM   #6
Robert Foote

Suggest you run a search under 'FEGA' or 'firearms engraving guild' (or similar). The people listed are free lance but some are very good and nationally known. IMHO you can get equal or better work from an independent. Preferably you can find someone 'on his way up' who will be well regarded in future. If you are at all serious about this I would strongly recommend that you read the Meek book on engraving and look at every engraved piece you can find--with a magnifying glass. (There is some perfectly awful stuff out there--also some great work.) I did this and finally had a 1911 engraved by the then secretary of FEGA. I got exactly what I wanted in a superior work of art. Caveat emptor and all that.

------------------