The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 20, 2013, 09:01 PM   #26
Cowboy_mo

++++++++++1 for Hogue grips on the sp101

I bought the 2 1/4 inch version off a friend about a year back. I carry it with .38 +P ammo as follow up shots are much easier than with the .357.

Then I bought the Hogue grips for it. Now I can double tap with .357 as well as I did with the .38 +P rounds.

I still carry it with the +P's as the muzzle flash from the heavier loads (short barrel) are blinding in low light conditions.

A word of advice, when you get the new one, dry fire it 500-600 times in order to smooth out and lighten the Ruger trigger.
Old November 21, 2013, 07:41 AM   #27
Waspinator

I say if you want the Hogue grip, then get it and install it straight away. The grip angle is very different then stock. I personally started out on the stock grips and became proficient with the gun. I tried to switch to the Hogue and thought it was terrible. I have no clue what all the hype is about these grips.

I found them to make the point angle of the gun very unnatural and I had to roll my wrist backward to correct. Between the palm swells and the finger grooves, the Hogue forces your hand into a shape/hold that may or may not be right for you. It was definitely NOT right for me. Also, I found the stock grip to handle recoil better. The stock grip is a more malleable rubber, where as the Hogue is a very hard core with a micro coating of rubber, more for grip than cushion ( squeeze the stock grip and the Hogue while they are off the gun and you'll see.)

If you can fit your pinky onto the stock grip (like me) then dont even bother with the Hogue... the stock grips are superior in my opnion, in every way.

Last edited by Waspinator; November 21, 2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old November 21, 2013, 09:25 AM   #28
Santawentcrazy

Once I make a move on a gun, most likely the SP101, I was going to post a thread asking for feedback on perspective holsters and grips. I do not think I will be going with the Hogue's as the gun will primarily be for concealed carry and I have heard, no firsthand experience, that they tend to catch on clothing. While I hate the way the factory grips look, and my hand does not entirely fit, they seem like a good option for carry. As far as holsters go, all I know is that I plan on looking for an affordable leather IWB holster. I have found a few on eBay that look acceptable. One that I am considering, is the Right-hand Offset Belt Clip IWB Model holster from Lobo Gun Leather.
Old November 21, 2013, 02:31 PM   #29
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

The reason I like the Hogue grip is shoot ability.!!!!!!! The factory grip is sooo small while the after market grip gives something for the little finger to wrap around, PLUS the finger grooves.

Recoil, ------- This is a great and tough little gun, and both of mine are rated for .357 and will shoot those loads and survive. At least for awhile.

Not saying anything against this gun here, but wonder what the life would be if using a steady diet of the heavy loads.

Shoot ability ------ With the 357 loads, nothing is good. Do able, but sharp and hard recoil, you will be slow getting back on target with any additional shots.

For social issues which should always be up close and personal - if they are not, why are you shooting? - there has been a lot of testing and research put into bullets and loads and for carry use a .38+P load with something like the Speer Gold Dot will get er done.

The loads used in the .38/.357 and the results from such use are a far cry from those of 30 years ago.

For that reason, if a person really thinks there is a need for .357 level loads in the up close and personal situations, they should look at a heavier framed revolver, Something like a GP 100. Larger yes, but vastly more shootable with the heavier loads.

Otherwise, shoot ability and putting that first round or two where it does the most good is way more important then the energy difference between +P and mag. loads.

So, it is for me. back to greatly improved shoot ability with the Hogue grips.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old November 21, 2013, 10:55 PM   #30
oldcabin

The link to cheaper than dirt now shows $439 for the SP
Old November 22, 2013, 08:17 AM   #31
Santawentcrazy

I have sadly come down to Scheels. I got my hands on a three inch SP101 yesterday and it solidified my desires. I have toured the local gun shops and none seem to carry the 3 inch SP101 nor can they order one in under "A month or two maybe?". I have found plenty of the two inch, and thank you oldcabin, were I not so set on the 3 inch, I would have moved on the Cheaperthandirt.com deal. Scheels also has some deal that will allow you to purchase a gun for concealed carry, and within 20 or so days, if you find you cannot handle it for any reason you can return it (as long as you buy another gun ). While I do not foresee this being a problem with the SP, it is definitely a perk.
Old November 22, 2013, 08:57 AM   #32
hulley

Quote:
The reason I like the Hogue grip is shoot ability.!!!!!!! The factory grip is sooo small while the after market grip gives something for the little finger to wrap around, PLUS the finger grooves.

Recoil, ------- This is a great and tough little gun, and both of mine are rated for .357 and will shoot those loads and survive. At least for awhile.

Not saying anything against this gun here, but wonder what the life would be if using a steady diet of the heavy loads.

Shoot ability ------ With the 357 loads, nothing is good. Do able, but sharp and hard recoil, you will be slow getting back on target with any additional shots.

For social issues which should always be up close and personal - if they are not, why are you shooting? - there has been a lot of testing and research put into bullets and loads and for carry use a .38+P load with something like the Speer Gold Dot will get er done.

The loads used in the .38/.357 and the results from such use are a far cry from those of 30 years ago.

For that reason, if a person really thinks there is a need for .357 level loads in the up close and personal situations, they should look at a heavier framed revolver, Something like a GP 100. Larger yes, but vastly more shootable with the heavier loads.

Otherwise, shoot ability and putting that first round or two where it does the most good is way more important then the energy difference between +P and mag. loads.

So, it is for me. back to greatly improved shoot ability with the Hogue grips.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Great post! I shot my SP101 and GP100 4" last night trying out a few new loads and while the SP101 wasnt that bad with 357mag it was great shooting the 38+P. I carry mine daily with the first two shots being Speer 135gr 38+P and the next 3 being Hornady CD 125gr 357mag. "They" say the most defensive situations only require 1-2 shots so the 38+P will be good, after that I'm in trouble and I would want the 357mag!
I may have to try the hogue grips for range time, I have them on my GP100 and they are great on the range.
As far as reliabilty of the SP101 with .357mag, I read many times of people who shoot alot of 357 with no issues. Looking at the stoutness of the SP101, I would believe it. I mostly shoot 38+p from mine with the occasional 50rd of 357.

Tags
revolver , ruger , sales , save money , sp101