The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 1, 2022, 12:03 PM   #26
stinkeypete

I recall a great video from Jeff Quinn where he chronographed Single Seven revolvers in three barrel lengths.

Everyone expects the longer barrel (7.5 inch) to give more velocity than the 5.5 or 4.5 inch yet the data (well taken and documented) showed the long barrel in THESE 3 guns to be slowest by something like 100 fps. I can’t find the original work. It was a head scratcher. The 5.5” was about 100 fps faster than the 7.5 inch with same cylinder gaps. Not the theoretical expectation for .327 Fed Mag.

Given that level of variation and the variation between batches of ammunition, I would be very skeptical of any data between any well made revolvers. Controlling the test ammunition is one huge variable. Getting enough sample firearms to be meaningful is another hurdle.

But.. if your goal is velocity I would recommend a Freedom Arms single action .357. The cylinder gap is tiny. This also means it can be fouled easily. For really reaching out, avoid the cylinder gap and go single shot.

I am remembering Jeff Quinn. He always had something nice to say, and found the good no matter how wretched the pistol. Still, you always knew when he really liked something. I absolutely trusted his reviews and he was one of those fellows you think "I bet it would be fun to have lunch with this gentleman." Rest in peace.

Last edited by stinkeypete; May 1, 2022 at 12:52 PM.
Old May 2, 2022, 07:36 AM   #27
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHarold View Post

1) We own property, about 35 acres where I am able to take up to 250 yard shots if I wish. Sometimes just for fun I'll go out with a handgun and see how far I can reach out. In doing so I have discovered (not surprisingly) how much projectile velocity has to do with holdover. In my experience I have had an easier time hitting say a balloon with faster projectiles than the slower ones. Again this is just my experience, yours may vary.

2) In my state, the region where I hunt I have to use a straight walled cartridge for whitetail of which I am an avid hunter. 357 is great for whitetail, given it is at proper velocity. Some of the velocity numbers I have seen out of the older pythons I would not feel comfortable using for hunting because they are pretty slow. The GP100 seems to usually have pretty fast numbers compared to the older pythons, so I am wondering how the NEW pythons stack up.
Being a handgun hunter, I too regularly shoot at distances of 80 -120 yards. Not so much with my .357s tho. Problem with revolvers and holdover for long distance is covering the target with the barrel/sight ramp. While it's always nice to get an extra 50 FPS, odds are, for the most part, it is going to make very little difference @ 100 yards(1/2" difference with a 158gr @ 100 yards).

Again, I hunt deer with my revolvers. I use .357, .44 and .460. My .357s are delegated to use at ranges of 40 yards or less.....basically bow range. They just do not have the energy after that to efficiently take deer. With the carbines, maybe 100 yards, but that's really pushing it. You want to shoot farther at deer with a handgun, you should probably look at something other than .357. The deer deserve it.
Old May 2, 2022, 10:19 PM   #28
BILLG

Why not buy your own Python buy a chrono and do your own research.

Tags
chronograph , colt , fps , python