The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 9, 2011, 08:13 PM   #1
jdthaddeus

WST start load for 357Sig? Or...similar comparable powder to WST for comparison?

Hi all,

I have a surplus of Winchester Super Target. I want to use it. And I like it.

I am loading 125gr 357Sig, copper hollowpoit bullets, probably load them long at 1.2" because they feed fine, to reduce chamber pressure if needed and to give an extra-solid crimp on the neck.

Can anyone give me a starting powder weight for this load? I do not have a chrony but I thought I would slowly load up until it felt right and hit where it should, watching for any signs of high pressure.

Thank you!
thaddeus

- Bill RUGER to Tom Brokaw on NBC News, while pushing for the 'high capacity' magazine ban

Last edited by jdthaddeus; October 10, 2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old October 10, 2011, 08:33 PM   #2
jdthaddeus

Here is a link to Winchester and Hodgon load data if that helps narrow it down:

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

They give data for Longshot, HS-6, Universal, 800-X, SR4756 and SR7625. I have not used any of those powders...are any of them comparable in any way to WST so I can use the data to calculate a starting load?

Or, could I use the load data for .40 with WST to estimate a starting load weight? 135gr .40 uses 5.5gr WST as a start load. Somehow if I could calculate for the difference in bullet mass (135gr vs 125gr), and account for any case volume difference, I could estimate a 357Sig low-end start weight.

Anyone?

Last edited by jdthaddeus; October 10, 2011 at 08:52 PM.