The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 16, 2017, 03:01 PM   #1
Jim567

Mounts and Rings

Can anyone recommend scope rings and mounts for a Savage model 11 with a Nikon Prostaff scope 4-12.
Thanks
Old November 16, 2017, 04:11 PM   #2
jmr40

Objective size? Up to 40mm and you can usually make low rings work, but some guys like mediums better. If low's fit that has always been my preference. Between 40 and 50 mm and mediums usually work. 50mm or larger usually need high rings. I emphasize USUALLY because there are always exceptions with some scopes.

I don't like and strongly suggest you avoid anything with dovetails and my preference is for something with the base and lower ring made together.

I have Talley Lightweights on most of my rifles, but on a Savage I might prefer DNZ. The hole spacing in Savage rifles places the rings farther apart when 2 piece bases are used and it can make it difficult to mount shorter scopes. The 1 piece base of DNZ eliminates this.

There is nothing at all wrong with the Weaver, or Weaver style with slotted bases and separate rings. As long as you avoid the budget mounts many of those work fine. They just don't look quite as good and are a little more difficult to mount. I don't think the brand of base is really important, but I like the Burris Z rings in those bases best. Of course the Weaver 4X4 rings sold at Walmart work too.

Winston Churchill
Old November 16, 2017, 06:59 PM   #3
Jim567

Wow.
Well written!
I believe I will go with a one piece.
I prefer medium height. The scope is 40mm.
Will get on DNZs website.
Many thanks!
Old November 16, 2017, 07:07 PM   #4
Jim567

The savage fixed magazines can be a bit hard to feed.
Will the one peace mount system inhibit this further as it would take up some space between the bottom of the scope and the top of the magazine?
Old November 17, 2017, 07:17 PM   #5
jpx2rk

DNZ mounts work fine/good on Savage.
Old November 18, 2017, 07:54 AM   #6
std7mag

I use EGW solid mounts on all my Savages.

The Rem Mag has 6 hole aluminium rings of unknown manufacture.
All my other ones use Vortex Viper low rings.
Old November 19, 2017, 09:20 AM   #7
jpx2rk

Might suggest you get some various tap dies on hand so you can clean out the threads when mounting the bases. Savage seems to get a bit heavy with any "coatings" that may be on your model rifle, or other misc debris from the production line.
Old November 19, 2017, 04:56 PM   #8
Don Fischer

Kind of like buying a scope. You can spend as much as you want or as little as you want and still manage to get something that works! I do like one piece base's adjustable for windage, I have a couple. I also have nice two piece base's with nice rings and they work very well. I've also had my share of what might be called junk rings and base's and surprise, they too worked! Unless you want something special purpose, the only thing required of base's and rings is to hold the scope in place on the rifle! Now what does that really take? In my experience with junk to nice Leupold and Redfield set's, not much. Go find a set you like and can afford and get them! if you don't like them but they are all you can afford, they will work!

Of course if you have some need for specialty rings and base's, that's different!