The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 9, 2018, 04:09 PM   #1
turkeestalker

A+ To Remington/Marlin Customer Service

Local pawn had a Marlin 1895 that sat on their wall for a very long time and never moved...2015 manufactured 'Remlin'.

If it had ever been fired after being fired at the factory, I couldn't tell. Seems LNIB to me.
The only issue that I could see was that the forearm and buttstock were a very poor match.
Nice light walnut with good figure and smooth satin sheen on the forearm with sharp clean checkering.
Dark and porous buttstock, almost seeming as if it had a red stain added to it, and very dull flat finish with rough checkering.

Pawn owner made me an offer one day that I just couldn't turn down so it came home with me early this week.

Phoned Marlin(Remington) customer service the following day and asked about purchasing a matched set of furniture for it. Was told that it likely wouldn't match any better as the parts were pulled randomly from bins and not really scrutinized when orders were filled... strange response. Stranger still when that individual suggested that I look to an online supplier not directly affiliated with them.

Last night I emailed them and asked if I could ship them the entire rifle, or at least the forearm, and have an individual take a moment to select a buttstock that better matched it.

I got an email in response early this morning asking for my address, and a phone call from them on my way home from work.
They opted to pick out a matching stock and forearm and ship them to me free of charge.

I did not suggest anything of the sort in my email, or even hint toward such.
I explained to the CS rep on the phone that this was technically a used rifle and that I was not the original owner, nor was I asking for or expecting anything for free.
He said that he understood that and insisted on handling it this way, asking that I would look to them when considering future rifle purchases.

Not sure what I will receive, but I'm betting it will be an improvement.

This is the first Marlin center fire that I've ever purchased, but I'm thinking I may need to pick up another or two in the future, simply because THAT is customer service.
Old February 9, 2018, 04:23 PM   #2
VoodooMountain

Good on them
Too bad Remington is filing bankruptcy
Old February 9, 2018, 11:23 PM   #3
3Crows

It is not fashionable to say anything good about Remington or Marlin. Nonetheless I have two REP stamped Marlins that are absolutely perfect and several JM stamped that are not any better if as nice. Plus a really nice 700 I have had a long while that is a very fine rifle.

I called Marlin the other day to get the hammer extension that was not with my new REP 336SS. Exactly seven days later it arrives and the customer service person was nice and efficient on the phone. I guess it should have been in the box but to be fair, it was not listed on the packing slip checklist. My nine month older SBL had the extension and I noted it was listed on the PL.

As far as shiny wood goes, my opinion, I would prefer a more satin or flatter finish, it looks more natural to me. Glossy stocks look kinda like velvet Elvis portraits in an aluminum house with a beater 76 Firebird T-top Trans-Am out front and Joe Dirt mullets and wife beater tees.

3C
Old February 10, 2018, 03:13 AM   #4
Scorch

In all my interactions with Remington CS, I have never been dissatisfied, and several times I have been downright impressed. They take customer service seriously.
Quote:
I called Marlin the other day
No, actually, you called Remington. They own Marlin and handle all of Marlin's customer service.

Quote:
Too bad Remington is filing bankruptcy
Big deal. You would be amazed how often this happens, and yet most of the companies who do declare bankruptcy are still with us
Old February 10, 2018, 10:34 AM   #5
Eazyeach

I’m glad you had a good experience. For the record my two Remingtons are flawless. R15 vtr and 870.
I really want a pistol caliber lever gun, but never really considered a marlin. With my good experience with Remington and testimonials like yours I may have to broaden my search.
Old February 10, 2018, 11:20 AM   #6
CLYA

I bought two Marlin/Remingtons in 2017. Both were built in the summer of 2016. My 336SS 30-30 was purchased a few months after the 1895 CBA 45-70, just because the 45-70 kept on functioning with out a flaw. And..........it had that side load function, missing on my Henry 45-70. Despite earlier dire warnings (within some forums), the CNC fit between metal and wood, is actually very good. Just tight all around, with no gaps. No "proud" wood, and sights straight on the barrels. Both rifles kept on shooting all summer long, as I'll head out to the desert at least twice a week, until temps drop too far.

With all the talk of just finding a JM, I'd have to get very picky these days. I make it a point to maintain the wellness of my guns, as I've done for around 50 years. When purchasing someone else's, maintenance is always questionable.
Old February 10, 2018, 12:07 PM   #7
3Crows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
In all my interactions with Remington CS, I have never been dissatisfied, and several times I have been downright impressed. They take customer service seriously.

No, actually, you called Remington. They own Marlin and handle all of Marlin's customer service.
Yes, I understand that Remington/Freedom Group now owns the Marlin name. And again, as a long time owner of many Marlin rifles over the years going back to the 60s the REP stamped two REP Marlins that I have now are equal to or better than the JM stamped I have owned and own.

I for one hope they do not go out of business. My interactions with Remington have always been fine and professional.

Next time they have one of those rebate sales at Wally Mart I am going to grab another 336. I am going to chop it down and build me a beater Jeep gun. I say that now but when I get it I will fall in love with it and cringe at the thought. Maybe go buy an already beaten up old JM Marlin with rust all over it, grind it down, Cerakote it and make that my Jeep gun.

3C
Old February 10, 2018, 12:54 PM   #8
godale

Good to hear . We really just hear bad things about big green these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 11, 2018, 10:13 AM   #9
johnwilliamson062

Not going to tell us who the third party is?
Old February 11, 2018, 10:26 AM   #10
std7mag

Wow, glad to hear the good experience you had with them.

Just wonder where that kind of service was when they had the safety/trigger issue?
Old February 11, 2018, 05:33 PM   #11
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Not going to tell us who the third party is?
Quite often, they refer parts inquiries to Numrich (Gun parts corp).

Quote:
Big deal. You would be amazed how often this happens, and yet most of the companies who do declare bankruptcy are still with us
Exactly.
How many times did Mossberg go bankrupt ... in the 1960s and '70s, alone?
How many times has Savage gone under?
How many times did Winchester change hands or file bankruptcy before they were turned into just a brand name?
How many times has Bushmaster filed bankruptcy? (It's four, I think.)
And, the list goes on; but... the favorite whipping boy (because they deserve it): COLT.
So many bankruptcies, restructurings, debt-shufflings, and reorganizations...

Remington may sell off some pieces of the company (I'd start with Bushmaster), but they aren't going away.
Old February 11, 2018, 09:17 PM   #12
3Crows

Third party? Who cares what party it is? I needed a part, I called and got a part promptly delivered and the order taken by a friendly and attentive CSR that knew exactly what I wanted. Not very complicated granted but I have called for many other little pieces to other companies never to receive them or only weeks and months later. I have also received good and prompt service from Ruger and Savage. Kimber was excellent also though not agreeable to the cause of my issue so I fixed it myself but I am confident they would have come through had I needed them to.

3C
Old February 12, 2018, 05:29 AM   #13
turkeestalker

Wasn't intending for that to be a big secret.
Bob's out of Arkansas carries some 95% ones that were suggested if I wished for them to match, as I could fit and finish them myself.
Old February 12, 2018, 08:25 PM   #14
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Third party? Who cares what party it is?
I do. How am I going to know where to look if I have a problem? T/C S&W isn't my first call for my TC guns anymore. I just go straight to EA Brown for things I would normally contact a manufacturer.
Old February 23, 2018, 08:56 PM   #15
turkeestalker

Received the stock set today and am very pleased, very nice match and finish with excellent figure.

A very hearty thank you to Remington/Marlin customer service.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180223_192355217.jpg (184.4 KB, 218 views)
Old February 26, 2018, 04:26 PM   #16
fourbore

Good. Excellent outcome and even above and beyond! I hope Remington can or has improved the quality of the Marlins and the quality of customer service.

I am not going to spoil the post with a laundry list of recent complaints. Nor, am I going to purchase any remlins. I will try and stay informed and open minded. I believe there is a pending bankruptcy. That could be an opportunity for new management,or if there is a new CEO, to make some changes. It would help if the person who answers the CS phone was in the same building as the gun got repaired. Then that is the least of it.

I also understand customer service and repair techs cost money. There is always the option to inspect (as in QA and QC) the products prior to shipping out the door. A lever action could atleast cycle and dry fire a few dummy rounds - you would think?
Old February 27, 2018, 07:44 PM   #17
3Crows

I could list a "Laundry List" of complaints prior to Remington Marlin issues. The internet was not around when I needed it, several times. Here are a few:

Marlin barrel droop, Marlin barrel twisted/crooked front sights, Marlin off center rear sight, Marlin Jam, Marlin crooked stocks.

Oh, wait, those are the same things that afflict the Remington stamped rifles. JM Marlin never did replace my stock on my 917VS. I will take the two REM rifles over any I have had to date, especially for function and reliability.

J