The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 8, 2005, 01:25 PM   #1
Mastrogiacomo

Inexpensive Holster and belt for classes?

I'm planning on getting firearm instruction at the Sig Academy. I've got a Beretta type M that I plan to use but I need a good belt and holster. It looks like I'll have to pay over two hundred for both which I don't want because the class costs $295. Where can I find a good leather holster for this gun that won't wear the finish or my wallet? The page advises students to "Please wear comfortable pants with pockets and a strong, thick belt (1-1/2" minimum) that will support the weight of a holstered pistol and loaded magazines." So -- where to look? Thank you.

Laura
Old March 8, 2005, 02:18 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Dillon has his own line of leather, the Master holster for Beretta 92 ought to fit your M, and he has belts.
http://dillonprecision.com/template/...0&min=0&dyn=1&
http://dillonprecision.com/template/...1&min=3&dyn=1&

I have a couple of Safarilands with suede lining that is easy on the blue. The least expensive current model seems to be the 5183, shown in Brownells at
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...LMENT+HOLSTERS

Do a search on Wilderness Instructor's Belt, sold a lot of places. They are pretty much the standard for pistol carry if you are not concerned with style.

You don't have to spend $200 for a rig.
Old March 8, 2005, 04:48 PM   #3
Mastrogiacomo

Thanks for the links, looks decent.
Old March 8, 2005, 05:43 PM   #4
Erich

I've had good luck getting quality holsters at low prices from Gunner's Alley. Their service has always been terrific.

http://gunnersalley.zoovy.com/

Enjoy your class.
Old March 9, 2005, 11:54 PM   #5
w4klr

Blackhawk CQB holster... about $54 dollars, but is worth it for satisfaction and performance. They also have matching belts and mag holsters... all can be had for under $115. Just my .02, now I have no cents

May not be leather, but then again... it may not leave holster wear on your pistol, I can't confirm that. But no pistol wear on my carry arms.
Old March 10, 2005, 09:14 AM   #6
Jeeper

I dont know why you would want leather. They are slow and heavy. Get a kydex one. Uncle mikes are cheap.
Old March 10, 2005, 07:05 PM   #7
pointfiveoh

You might want to try Walmart for a belt, it doesn't necessarily have to be a "gun" belt to be a good gun belt.
Old March 18, 2005, 11:57 AM   #8
Robert Hairless

Mate a Wilderness Tactical "original instructors belt" ($34.95) with a Blackhawk CQC belt holster with SERPA technology ($44.5) and you'll have one of the best rigs possible at a total cost of $90.00 plus shipping. There are imitations, knockoffs, and lookalikes of both. Stay with the originals: they work, and at these prices it would be stupid to get less than the best. There are other great combinations of belt and holster, of course, but this combination is first rate, no compromise, real professional system at the least possible price.

If I were a betting man and you were a complete innocent I would wager that all or nearly all of your instructors will be wearing a Wilderness original instructors belt, and I would win that bet.

The Blackhawk SERPAs are not so widespread, I think, but I haven't seen anything else like them for retention. Paddle holsters are wonderful things except for carrying guns. Anyone who really wants your gun will walk away with it and half the paddle holster, which will leave you feeling rather silly or seriously dead. These Blackhawks are model-specific (you must match the holster to the specific model of gun), and even so they're rather fussy about some things (the Model 1911 version, for example, doesn't work with an Ed Brown Kobra Carry because its slide release causes a hangup), so check with Blackhawk to make sure before you buy.

Otherwise I suggest a Lou Alessi CQC/S (close quarters covert with snaps): it's one of the best leather belt holsters I've found. It's $90 plus shipping.
Old March 18, 2005, 12:31 PM   #9
don't shoot it's me

I agree...I have the wilderness belt and it rocks..I also have the Alessi CQC/S and it is is my favorite OWB...I bought an Alessi matching belt and it is beautiful but I find myslef using the widerness belt most of the time since you can cinch it to the perfect spot without worrying about matching up the holes.....also, the widlerness belt is every bit as stiff but thinner so it is more comfortale than a thick leather gun belt....I still wear my Alessi belt when I want the buckle to show, but most times I have a cover garment so the widerness belt is used much more often....
Old March 18, 2005, 12:33 PM   #10
jerryd

There was an article on another forum about plastic holsters about how easy it is to break them and take the weapon away, vey interesting! I have only bought 1 plastic holster for a pistol !, lasted about 10 minutes before it ended up in garbage! Tried a plastic job for a ppk/s, put pistol in could not get it out! Tried to adjust it didnt work,in garbage, got a leather one works great. Tried one for my glock,couldnt stand it, hard to get in and out, so now all my holsters are leather and love them, maybe i have a fetish?
Old March 20, 2005, 06:43 AM   #11
donkee

Quote:
I dont know why you would want leather. They are slow and heavy.
Cause leather is wonderful!
Old March 26, 2005, 09:05 PM   #12
JerryM

If you want an excellent leather belt Rafter S makes great ones, and the last time I looked they started at $45. I have 4 and bought a couple of sharkskin belts for my son and son-in-law for Christmas.

I like Comp tac kydex holsters. If you want leather, and want to get our as light as possible then Hume is good, as are a few others.
If you are willing to spend around $100 bucks there are several such as Sparks and Brommeland. However, you will have to wait months. Lightening Arms has some good holsters in stock. I think they have Sparks. Give them a look. If they have it in stock it can be obtained in short order.

Best,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.