The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 16, 2015, 10:19 PM   #1
ART338WM

A little input on HG choice for IDPA

I am trying to start competing in IDPA and are trying to do so as economically as I can. I have two questions.

#1-How much advantage is a 5" barrel over a 4-4.25" barrel because if sub 5" guns will do as well in IDPA as 5" guns that opens up a much broader selection for my under $600 HG budget.

So based on the premise of best bang for my buck (sorry couldn't resist that pun) I have decided to go 9mm and my HG budget is $600 or below, based on that dollar limit I had considered the fallowing semi autos. All with 5" barrels, unless it is the opinion of experienced IDPA shooters here that a sub 5" HG will serve me just as well.

CZ75-B
EAA Witness Elite
EAA Sarsilmaz SAR ST10
CZ SP-01
Sig P2022
S&W M&P Pro/5"

The last thing I wished to do was have to spend a additional $100 or more on a after market trigger job(s) to maximize most of the above HG's shootabillities. Also availability and cost of magazines as well as the customer service reputation of any of the above HG makers also played a part in my choice.

So based on the best factory trigger as well as the cheapest trigger to improve if I so wish, availability/cost of mags, and after market upgrades or accessories I have decided to go with the the 5" S&W M&P Pro. If a 4" barrel will do as well as a 5" then my choice would most likely be a 4" Walther PPQ M2 as the 4' Walther stays below my $600 ceiling.

Thank you,
Arthur.
Old January 17, 2015, 06:31 AM   #2
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ART338WM
unless it is the opinion of experienced IDPA shooters here that a sub 5" HG will serve me just as well.
A 4" pistol might very easily serve you just as well.

Between the 2 lengths, some just shoot the shorter one better, others shoot the longer better. I happen to be one of those guys who shoots a standard-length M&P better than the longer Pro.

What's best for you? Hard to say until you've got trigger time with both. Most competitors have gone through a number of guns before they find "the one". You've done good research to this point, it seems, so if you follow your intuition, you won't go wrong. IIRC, the M&P Pro has a fiber optic front sight, which is a nice thing to have. If you're leaning towards the M&P Pro, then, great, but the 4" PPQ wouldn't be a bad 1st choice, either.

Once you start shooting some matches and you get friendly with your fellow competitors, start checking out their guns. Most will be happy to let you try theirs out after the match (if allowed by the MD), and it's a great way to evaluate different guns before you buy.
Old January 17, 2015, 07:47 AM   #3
Jim Watson

I have a Burwell tuned Plastic M&P from before the Pro came out. I have wished it were a Pro, but it probably doesn't make any difference.
One friend here prefers a Glock 17 to a 34.

If you want a PPQ, get a PPQ. I shot one recently and it does OK.
It is not well supported in the game, though.
Glock followed by S&W are where the action is.
Old January 17, 2015, 10:22 AM   #4
ART338WM

Thanks for the advice so far. One other reason I"m leaning towards the M&P Pro is I actually got to shoot one and liked it quite well, getting to try out any other guns to help my choice making is going to be somewhat difficult as 99% of the people who shoot at my club shoot either Glocks or M&P's, and try as I might I simply can not worm up to a Glock.

I also have a M&P Shield as my CC gun and can not be happier with it. Am in negotiations with where I bought my Shield to do a deal as I wish to trade my 40 cal Shield, a 40 cal XD HC for a Shield in 9mm and a larger 9mm for IDPA.

But the more I'm researching this the more I'm beginning to think some advice I have received previously is the best path for me to take at this point. It would cost far less to trade my 40 Shield in for a 9mm Shield with night sights, buy 4 or 5 extra mags for my shield a top notch IWB holster along with some mag pouches and just start IDPA with my Shield as I shoot it quite well as it is. Then that will allow me hopefully the option to shoot different types of HG's and barrel lengths so I can make as informed a purchase choice as I can.
Old January 17, 2015, 10:50 AM   #5
1-DAB

shoot what you have, see how it goes for a few matches. after the matches, ask nicely to examine and maybe shoot other's guns to see how they feel to you.

i've gone from shooting a 1911, to a PX4, and now to a VP9 next month. shooting under time stress has shown me the pros and cons of different designs for both competition and for daily carry.

i use IDPA as an excuse to shoot under time stress and learn new things I can apply elsewhere.
Old January 17, 2015, 11:19 AM   #6
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ART338WM
It would cost far less to trade my 40 Shield in for a 9mm Shield with night sights, buy 4 or 5 extra mags for my shield a top notch IWB holster along with some mag pouches and just start IDPA with my Shield as I shoot it quite well as it is.
Not a bad strategy if you don't reload your own ammo. If you reload, though, you could just use your .40 Shield. Downloaded to make IDPA PF, .40S&W is pretty soft shooting. Not much different than 9mm, IME.

Regardless, if you find you enjoy shooting IDPA matches, it's very likely you'll quickly be itching for something bigger than a Shield (even if it's what you carry). Despite what a lot of guys say they believe about using their carry gun, I see very few that actually shoot what they carry. The "competition" part of it has a way of changing peoples' handgun choice pretty quickly.
Old January 17, 2015, 11:28 AM   #7
g.willikers

If you are doing IDPA exclusively, there's no need for more than three mags.
Although having extras in the range bag can be handy.
In the final analysis, the gun you choose is far less important than many other things.
As the saying goes, "The gun is the least of it."
But forum conversations about equipment greatly outweigh those concerning technique.
Wanna' guess why?
Old January 17, 2015, 05:36 PM   #8
RickB

I'll always prefer the longest practical barrel, but I've shot a lot of competition with shorter barrels.
When I swap between a 5" 1911 and 4.25" example, my scores don't suffer much. When I dropped down to 3.5", my scores suffered dramatically, but I suspect it was due to the short grip frame and compromised handling, as much as the shorter sight radius.
Old January 17, 2015, 08:58 PM   #9
Kosh75287

+1 concerning what Rick B said. Going from 5" to 4.25" on a 1911A1 didn't cost me much, but I tried shooting IDPA with a friend's Colt Defender, and I had to slow down considerably to hit like I did with the other .45s. Of course, since you're contemplating using a 9x19, the difference may not be as dramatic. I'm sure that recoil is a major factor.
Old January 17, 2015, 10:35 PM   #10
Captains1911

Shoot what you have a don't over think it, the gear is only about 10% of it. After a few matches you will have a much better idea of what you might want to change if anything. I shoot IDPA with a stock Glock 19, and don't feel one bit disadvantaged to those with bigger and fancier guns. I can run my G19, and that's what matters most. A gun, 3 mags, double mag pouch (or 2 singles), and a holster is all you need. Make it work for you.
Old January 18, 2015, 08:05 PM   #11
StrangeBird1911

Absolutely shoot what you have for a few matches. Don't worry about speed; just focus on safety.

There's a lot of standing around time. Use it to ask everyone about gun choice. You may find someone willing to lend you a gun for a match.

You might also look for a used Glock.
Old January 25, 2015, 09:36 PM   #12
30wcf

I shoot a stock Glock 17. I only go once every couple of months just for fun. If I start going more and get more serious about it, I'll start dumping more money into my gun.

Where I go, it's usually about 10-15 people and pretty laid back. Just about everybody has either a Glock or a 1911, with a couple of revolver shooters. I haven't seen any Glock with a longer slide than the 17/22.

I would just go with what you have. But if you want a new gun, I would just buy a full size Glock or M&P and just go shoot. You can start upgrading later.
Old March 1, 2015, 11:45 PM   #13
iceman320

How many rounds can your magazine hold to shoot a match? Is there a limit on mag capacity?
Old March 2, 2015, 09:08 AM   #14
Jim Watson

There is not a physical magazine capacity limit, but you may only load ten rounds.
You will start most stages at 10+1, so mark a magazine to Load and Make Ready with and put 11 in it.

You are allowed the magazine in the gun and two reloads on your person, 31 rounds. That ought to be enough to complete the maximum string of fire, 18 scored hits.

(If shooting CDP with .45ACP or the new CCP division that is 8+1 and the new BUG main match division 6. Not 6+1.)
Old March 2, 2015, 04:16 PM   #15
fire4606

Been playing IDPA for almost a year now, once or twice a month, two rounds every match and almost exclusively with a G26.
Old March 2, 2015, 10:30 PM   #16
iceman320

i wish that they did idpa matches here where I live. or at least somewhere close by.
Old March 3, 2015, 09:25 AM   #17
g.willikers

Did you check for local matches on the club listing at idpa.com?
Don't forget the other types of action matches, like USPSA, ICORE and Steel Challenge.
Old March 4, 2015, 02:13 PM   #18
iceman320

no i haven't checked on the idpa site. i will check it out today sometime though. thanks.
Old March 4, 2015, 04:14 PM   #19
zincwarrior

Also IDPA JUST came out with a new category-non-BUG carry guns. I think it fits your Shield very well.

If you don't have a holster yet, get a cheap Fobus holster and cheap double mag carrier. Get two extra mags (assuming you have two now) and you should be ready to go.

If you go bigger later an M&P Pro has the following: fiber optic sight, better trigger, better grip panels. Get a more recently made one which will not have the barrel locking issues of the earlier models (aka it will be properly accurate).