The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old May 7, 2002, 01:43 PM   #1
ahenry

What happed to TFL?

Does anybody know what caused the down time?
Old May 7, 2002, 01:46 PM   #2
fix

Judging from the dates on some posts, it wasn't down the whole time that it appeared to be. I couldn't get on for 3 days, but others apparently did.
Old May 7, 2002, 01:50 PM   #3
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Unknown.
At 4 AM Monday, I was doing some file maintenance. Noted that the database backup directory was at 97% occupancy due to one large backup file...the most recent.....so I blew it away.

As I hit the Return button, I did a "DOH!". Then I checked the automated tasks...at 4 AM, the system is building the backup...that's why it was temporarily so large.

CRASH!

(Actually, the system should not have crashed...the data files were still in tact. The problem was server load due to the server trying to read/write to non-existent files....but it hung anyway.)

Tried a remote reboot, which would have resolved it and that's when problem 2 reared it's ugly head:

The system does not want to boot up reliably. It continues to hang up at different points in the boot sequence and requires that we have someone physically standing by at the location. Roger went out there at 5:30PM EST yestereday. Between us, we got the system up and I did a repair of the database (nothing lost).

I then ran out and came back at 10:30PM to find the server load maxed out. Tried some ginger manipulations, but ginger wasn't co-operating. Result...I could FTP in, but not get on thru the Web. SWAT was working fine, though...on the same box! As I'd been out to dinner and had a couple of drinks, I left it as I found it....I learned a long time ago that alcohol doesn't mix with server maintenance.

This AM, GlockTalk's Eric called to ask if I needed help. I got him into the server and we started looking around. Finally restarted the Apache server and all looks in order.

Now Known:
We need more memory. 1.25GB ain't making it. I'll start looking to up it to 2GB.

Now Suspected:
There does appear to be a network conflict, probably outside our box at the Web Host center. Eric's suspicion: they never changed the pointers from the temp page that was up during the crash and the network is trippin' and skippin'. Will be working on this also.
Rich
Old May 7, 2002, 04:18 PM   #4
ahenry

Quote:
Tried some ginger manipulations, but ginger wasn't co-operating.
Damn that ginger! Thanks for the hard work in keeping TFL up and running. I appreciate it.
Old May 8, 2002, 08:46 AM   #5
coati

I thought I'd been blocked at work. Monday, no joy at work. Went home, everything's fine. Back to work Tuesday, no luck. Checked on GlockTalk (usually a note "where's TFL???"), no note.

I thought I was going to have to sweettalk a sysop. Ewww.
Old May 8, 2002, 02:27 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

I thought I had gotten work blocked, too. Luckily not.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.