The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 25, 2021, 11:04 AM   #1
Jim Bronson

Springfield 1911 9MM Ronin Operator

After many months of searching for this gun I finally found one... IN FLORIDA! The wife and I were visiting my daughter and her husband and our two Grandkids in Orlando. Were were spending a day just traveling around sightseeing when we stopped at Florida Gun Exchange outside of Orlando when I spotted it in the showcase. A asked about it and was told it was their last one on stock. Without hesitation I said "I'll take it!" without even picking it up. I called the local gun shop back home and made the transfer arrangements. Yesterday it was delivered and I picked it up. I haven't shot it yet but tomorrow I will make a trip to the local range.

My first impressions are good. Nice two tone. Large sights. Skeletonized hammer and trigger. Extended thumb safety and speed bump grip safety. No slop or play in the slide to frame fit.

At first try the trigger was hard. I'm guessing 6 - 7 pounds. But after dry firing it all evening it seemed to come down some. I field stripped it (Don't we all do that to a new semi-auto handgun?) and noticed the gun was indeed tight. So I'm expecting some malfunctions until a few hundred rounds. But you never know, it may surprise me.
If I do this right you may see a picture of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02043.JPG (139.5 KB, 70 views)
Old February 25, 2021, 11:12 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Lube well and give it some full power 124 ammo and do not accept "some malfunctions."
Old February 25, 2021, 02:15 PM   #3
Shane Tuttle
Staff

"Some malfunctions until a few hundred rounds" is an acceptable term to describe another 1911 variant manufacturer that I will never buy from again.

Of the tens of thousands of rounds I fired through all of my Springfield firearms, I've had 4 instances that I used their warranty service. 2 of the 4 were my own fault and they took care of me, anyway, with no questions asked. The other 2? My EMP started to fail to feed after about 2k rounds (I'll have to look at my gun log to see the exact count). Dropped it off to them and they worked their magic. IIRC, I dropped it off in the morning, had lunch, and had it back in my hands soon afterwards. No malfunctions since then. The other was my first initial disappointment. I have an Operator in 10mm. After the first magazine, it would not feed to save my life. Being in Montana, now, (I used to live about 30min from their facility), I had to ship it back. They took care of shipping both ways. This was just a few months ago and the warranty dept warned me upfront that the whole shop is well over 100% capacity and asked for patience in getting it back. 30-45 days was the best case scenario. I had it back in just about a month. I've only shot a few rounds since receiving it. But it's flawless, so far.

That Ronin is on my list to get next. Bottom line is you have a great firearm with a company that will back their product if anything were to happen. (And, I'm a little jealous)

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 26, 2021, 06:16 PM   #4
Flaman

I've put 450 rounds thru my brand new 9mm Ronin and haven't had a single failure. I expected some.