The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 23, 2021, 11:28 PM   #51
Pistolay

The .380 isn't going away because it serves two markets. The first is people who want an acceptable defensive caliber in the smallest shootable platform (P3AT, LCP). The second (which includes me) is people who need a softer shooting gun (G42, P238, Shield EZ, SIG P290RS) due to physical infirmities. BTW, I included the P290RS even though it's no longer in production because it's my EDC. And it's a very soft shooting gun.

I'll be standing in line when the P365-380 is released.
Old February 25, 2021, 10:52 AM   #52
Ignition Override

.380 Muzzle energy is basically identical with (or more than) energy from the world-reknown 9x18 Makarov round, still used in conflicts all over the world.
Old February 25, 2021, 01:23 PM   #53
gnystrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
Modern firearms technology, computer aided design, and computer aided manufacturing, subcompact firearms chambered for the 9MM seem to be rising to dominate the category of CCW handguns. Some of these mighty midget handguns have 3" barrels and tip scales at 16 oz and less. A few accommodate mags that hold 10 rounds. What will these mighty midget handguns do to demand for .380 Auto handguns?. The advantages the .380 Auto had over the 9MM was smaller size and lighter weights. Those advantages have been obliterated.

I'm surprised that the 10MM has lingered after Jeff Cooper abandoned it and returned to his beloved 1911-A1 .45 ACP. Cooper was the father of factory production of the 10MM and carried one for a few years before returning to his 1911-A1 .45 ACP.

Cartridge predictions can be a dicey game. Due to shrinking production of 10MM handguns which reflects weakening demand, the 10MM is living on borrowed time. Mighty midget handguns chambered for the 9MM might put the .380 Auto on life support.

What's your theory? How would you defend it?
The 380 will always be a viable caliber. What I find more laughable is your comment that the 10mm round is diminishing. Over the last couple years, I see it as taking off and doing the opposite of what you suggest.
Old February 25, 2021, 05:07 PM   #54
Forte S+W

I've actually fallen into an odd mindset that essentially goes like this...

For the smallest, lightest, most easy to carry firearm, I reach for the Ruger LCP. If more is needed, then I bypass 9mm Luger altogether and reach for a .40cal.

From 2016 to 2019 I carried .380 ACP exclusively, confident in its ability to get the job done. In 2018 I began contemplating carrying something more powerful because there were increasing instances of wild animals emerging from the woods surrounding the area in which I live. On day my mother called me over, told me a story about how she had seen a hog in the neighbor's field while walking her dogs, and asked me what she should carry to deal with one. I recommended a .357 Magnum revolver and that's what she carries to this day. I wanted a semiautomatic, and ended up with an SW40VE.
Last month I bought a S&W Performance Center M&P40 Shield, which will serve as my carry gun for warmer weather, possibly even all-weather depending on what the future holds in terms of Gun Control.

Generally speaking, .40cal pistols are roughly equal in size/weight to 9mm pistols, so the argument that 9mm Luger will replace .380 ACP because guns can be made nearly as small and lightweight if followed to its logical conclusion that .40 S&W will ultimately replace 9mm because firearms chambered in .40 S&W are roughly the same size as 9mm pistols.
Old February 25, 2021, 05:50 PM   #55
Alan0354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte S+W View Post
I've actually fallen into an odd mindset that essentially goes like this...

For the smallest, lightest, most easy to carry firearm, I reach for the Ruger LCP. If more is needed, then I bypass 9mm Luger altogether and reach for a .40cal.

From 2016 to 2019 I carried .380 ACP exclusively, confident in its ability to get the job done. In 2018 I began contemplating carrying something more powerful because there were increasing instances of wild animals emerging from the woods surrounding the area in which I live. On day my mother called me over, told me a story about how she had seen a hog in the neighbor's field while walking her dogs, and asked me what she should carry to deal with one. I recommended a .357 Magnum revolver and that's what she carries to this day. I wanted a semiautomatic, and ended up with an SW40VE.
Last month I bought a S&W Performance Center M&P40 Shield, which will serve as my carry gun for warmer weather, possibly even all-weather depending on what the future holds in terms of Gun Control.

Generally speaking, .40cal pistols are roughly equal in size/weight to 9mm pistols, so the argument that 9mm Luger will replace .380 ACP because guns can be made nearly as small and lightweight if followed to its logical conclusion that .40 S&W will ultimately replace 9mm because firearms chambered in .40 S&W are roughly the same size as 9mm pistols.
I am slowly changing my mind to .40 also. I was so convinced to get the Ruger LC380, stupid me, I JUST discovered I don't have a Walther PPKS, I have the PPK all along that is smaller, only 19oz. There is absolutely no reason, no advantage to get the Ruger LC380!!!

This has nothing to do with the discussion on 380, 380 will survive. Just being in Kalif, my choice is very limited. I wish I can buy a Glock 42.

Now I have to consider Glock 23( same size as Glock 19 but in .40).
Old February 25, 2021, 09:59 PM   #56
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanrecon
It will be interesting to compare the sig p365 in .380 to the s&w ez .380. I'm guessing the sig will be more desirable.
I was at the range today, not for shooting but to help the owner (whom I have known for 20+ years) with a computer problem. I got that straightened out fairly quickly, so we were chatting and guns and ammo and how nothing is available. He showed me some new guns I have read about but hadn't seen. One was the S&W .380 EZ. I'm not a fan or plastic guns but I could see getting one of those. But it's not a micro pistol or a pocket gun -- it's a "standard" size semi-auto that really wants to be carried in a holster.
Jeepaholic
Old February 25, 2021, 10:12 PM   #57
berettaprofessor

I had both a Sig 938 and a Sig 238....and sold the 938 because it wasn't nearly as accurate nor easy to shoot as the 238.
Old February 26, 2021, 07:03 PM   #58
ciwsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reteach View Post
Carmady mentioned it first, but recoil is a factor for many people in choosing a .380 over a 9 mm. I would rather carry a 9, but old hands make that a problem. So I chose a Glock 42. It's very comfortable to shoot compared to any 9 mm in a similar size. That equates to more practice time and more confidence if I ever have to use it for defense. Yes, it's a compromise, but one I think a lot of people are going to make. That's going to keep .380 alive and well for a long time.
Low recoil in the 380? My S&W M&P bodyguard 380 is not very pleasant to shoot. However the S&W M&P Shield 380EZ is pleasant to shoot, but is much less concealable.
Old February 26, 2021, 07:05 PM   #59
ciwsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
I am slowly changing my mind to .40 also. I was so convinced to get the Ruger LC380, stupid me, I JUST discovered I don't have a Walther PPKS, I have the PPK all along that is smaller, only 19oz. There is absolutely no reason, no advantage to get the Ruger LC380!!!

This has nothing to do with the discussion on 380, 380 will survive. Just being in Kalif, my choice is very limited. I wish I can buy a Glock 42.

Now I have to consider Glock 23( same size as Glock 19 but in .40).
Alan,
I have a 40S&W as a conversion kit into my SIG P320 9mm. The 40S&W snaps considerably more than 9mm. My two bits.....
CIWSGUY
Old February 27, 2021, 12:05 AM   #60
Alan0354

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciwsguy View Post
Alan,
I have a 40S&W as a conversion kit into my SIG P320 9mm. The 40S&W snaps considerably more than 9mm. My two bits.....
CIWSGUY
Again, it's not for kalif!!! It is so frustrating. The only Sig is 2022 or P239 SAS that is very expensive. if I am willing to pay that, I would look at the HK UPS.
Old February 27, 2021, 01:54 PM   #61
ciwsguy

Understand that Alan. Feel badly for you folks out there in Kal. All I was saying is that the .40 S&W is a much “snappier” round than a 9X19. At least that’s what my Sig P320 does.
Old February 27, 2021, 02:14 PM   #62
Alan0354

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciwsguy View Post
Understand that Alan. Feel badly for you folks out there in Kal. All I was saying is that the .40 S&W is a much “snappier” round than a 9X19. At least that’s what my Sig P320 does.
Somehow, I never consider recoil is a problem, I never shoot a 44magnum, even 357magnum didn't bother me. The only time that I notice the kick is the 12 gauge shotgun, that's a real kick!!!. But I got over it.

My priority is the gun, rounds are secondary. My logic is this:
1) Since I have plenty of smaller guns and I can't get anything smaller that worth buying, I am going for a bigger gun.

2) Since I am going for a bigger gun and I have 10 rounds limit + I have a very reliable DA/SA 9mm S&W659 that I legally have 2 14 rounds and 1 20 rounds magazine AND I already have a Glock 26. I might as well get a gun with higher caliber like 45, .40 or even 10mm to make the size worth while.

3) I would much prefer a DA/SA or even DA because this is mainly for home protection, I don't need super accurate. I already have a Gold Cup 45 already for competition.

4) Below $900 to $1000.

This make it very hard to find one. I would settle with a Glock, but it's really not DA safe. I've been searching around for .40 and 45ACP that is available for Kalif, Sig SP2022 is about the ONLY one that fits the bill, other than that, it would be HK or very expensive Sig 220. Both likely above $1000 mark.

I like S&W, why they stop making DA/SA guns like my 659? The 659 is perfect( problem is I have it already!!!). It would be perfect to have a 659 in .40, 10mm or 45ACP. At this point, I don't even necessary to have to buy a polymer.

I am starting to do research on Sig SP2022 .40. Luckily, I still have 8 days.....and counting to be able to buy a gun.

Thanks for the help.
Old February 27, 2021, 03:33 PM   #63
HighValleyRanch

Sig 2022 in .40 for 650.00
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1698122
You could buy this today, since it is not new, but like new.
Not sure what part of the state you are in.