The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 23, 2021, 09:40 PM   #26
wild cat mccane

ahhhh. Makes sense! The extra slide width isn't worth it to me without red dot. Got it. Thank you!
Old February 24, 2021, 01:48 AM   #27
Urbanrecon

All I want to know is did Walther get permission from Ruger to copy the looks of Ruger's SR22 pistol?
Old February 24, 2021, 10:08 AM   #28
wild cat mccane

The SR22 is a copy of the Walther P-22 which came out 10 years before the SR22...

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...-walther-p22-q
Old February 24, 2021, 10:15 AM   #29
Mike Irwin
Staff

"A German company using American gun violence...to sell guns."

It's called targeted marketing. They're targeting American gun buyers using concepts and scenarios that make sense to... well... American gun buyers.

125 years ago would there have been similar complaints about Winchester showing a guy with one of their lever action rifles facing down a pissed off grizzly bear?

Or would that have been A-OK because it's an American company showing an American critter trying to eat an American who's using an American rifle to defend himself... in America?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 24, 2021, 10:24 AM   #30
wild cat mccane

Walther forum is saying this discontinues the current PPQ line.

Stupid.
Old February 24, 2021, 10:57 AM   #31
TunnelRat

New Walther: PDP "better trigger than PPQ"

It wouldn’t make sense to continue both the PPQ line and this, especially given how similar they are in a number of ways.

If you have a PPQ and don’t want to upgrade you certainly don’t have to. Given the parts commonality between them you could keep your PPQ and have replacement parts and magazines for years to come. There are also a number of PPQs on the used market of someone really wanted a PPQ instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 24, 2021, 03:31 PM   #32
JDBerg

IMHO, there is too much overlap of features between this PDP and the PPQ to justify owning both. A higher-cap PPS would have made more sense to me anyway. The P99 is conspicuously absent from Walther’s current website and that gun is just too good to be discontinued. I’m sure Walther will sell a lot of these new guns, and it will be interesting to see what happens.
Old February 24, 2021, 05:20 PM   #33
ciwsguy

Think I’ll wait a bit

Thought about dropping an order for one, but then I remembered the P320. Wish to avoid early manufacturing issues.
Old February 25, 2021, 09:13 AM   #34
wild cat mccane

Slight update to a gun released in 1994
Old February 25, 2021, 09:19 AM   #35
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciwsguy View Post
Thought about dropping an order for one, but then I remembered the P320. Wish to avoid early manufacturing issues.

I really don’t think it’s a comparable situation. The PPQ has been out for a decade and the P99 for decades. The P320, besides borrowing the module frame system of the P250, was a brand new design for SIG. This is more of an evolutionary step, imo.

Old February 25, 2021, 09:50 PM   #36
ciwsguy

Even so, when new models are introduced, there can be manufacturing “discoveries” that didn’t show up in prior models or in pre-production units. The P99AS was (still is) a fine gun, as I used to own one, but I’m not about to jump on a new model until any production bugs are worked out.
Seen that happen more than once and not just in the gun world.
Old February 25, 2021, 10:31 PM   #37
TunnelRat

Sure it can happen. I'm just saying it's not quite the same as with the P320.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 12, 2021, 09:43 PM   #38
wild cat mccane

I sold my PPQ M1 today. I really liked everything about it. However, I don’t like owning something I don’t know if Walther will continue to support (M1 magazines if the P99 were retired). With the seat being new too, the guts of the ppq and pdp aren't similar. By looks, with the ppq now discontinued , just makes sense to sell with more available buyers. (Lasted just the day fo 150 over new).

Glocktalk has a good picture of a PPQ and a PDP from the back and the comment was which one looks more refined—obvious answer being the PPQ. Again now owning an old generation just doesn’t make sense with how quickly things change by manufactures.

Right now I don’t know what to replace it with. I have a PDP in the shopping cart but the slide is just wide for no benefit for me who wants refined/small more than I want an optics mount. I think the trigger on the VP9 just doesn’t beat the walther and nothing else compares.

I’m starting to think if you don’t mind not having a large gun the P365 is probably the best gun out there right now. Since I don’t wanna go wider or bigger, it makes little sense to replace new PDP but not much stands out right now. Bummer.
Old March 12, 2021, 10:01 PM   #39
TunnelRat

I wouldn't personally have sold my PPQ in your shoes. You had magazines (I'm assuming) and you can still find M1 magazines and likely will for at least some time. A decent number of the internal parts are common and you'd likely go tens of thousands of rounds before needing to replace certain parts anyway. I can't speak to how much you shoot and how often, but it wasn't like the pistol was wearing out anytime soon.
Old March 12, 2021, 10:25 PM   #40
wild cat mccane

Definitely dumb. But if it were like a gen4 to gen5 glock which glock is still making, I’d keep it. But keeping something discontinued was eating me. And like you said, nothing really is expected to go wrong, but the fcu is different.

I want to think the P365 is going to get hk and walther to step up. All we got was the Hellcat though.

The pdp went wider and less sleek. Eye of the beholder but being a huge walther fan, I could be more bummed by the whole deal.

Probably will get the pdp in the next few days. But still...

Watch out VP9 lovers, cdnn is big with them right now. Typical of guns going to a new version just like the ppq and many others. Maybe hk is coming out with something soon.

Sellers regret but more disappointed with walther’s junk upgrade of the ppq
Old March 12, 2021, 10:42 PM   #41
TunnelRat

As someone that uses red dots heavily, it's not a junk upgrade for me. And again I really prefer that texture. But that's me. I think Walther really wanted to jump on the optic bandwagon. I think that's fine and I think a lot of people might move in that direction, but there are still lots of people that aren't interested any time soon. If those people found a PPQ on discount I'd grab it if I were them. Weirdly enough the local stores near me are flush with P99s for $550. I am almost tempted to grab one.

I've had a VP9. I was very meh on it. The ergos are nice but not mind blowing for me, the trigger is good but not amazing, and the internals don't inspire a lot of confidence in me. And that was when I drank the HK Kool-Aid like I would die otherwise.
Old March 22, 2021, 07:59 PM   #42
doofus47

DANG, I see that they put a button release on it. Now I gotta wait for a lever or stay P99-enabled. Oh well, I guess they just saved me $600....
Old March 24, 2021, 11:06 AM   #43
wingman

My PPQ m2 45acp has a super nice trigger and accuracy is on par with my match grade 1911, if they put out a better trigger I would be surprised, only down side is magazines which are hard to find.
Old March 24, 2021, 10:57 PM   #44
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane:
...I don’t like owning something I don’t know if Walther will continue to support (M1 magazines if the P99 were retired)
I wouldn’t worry about a brand not supporting a model after its discontinued. I own BHP’s, a Sig P228, P239, P6, and I know these are all as good as or better than any new models out there. And I have sufficient magazines for each of them. I know that my P239 was traded for a P365, and I hope this person is as happy with the new gun as I am with this one that was traded away.

I think the new Walter PDP is a nice piece but I like to think that this new gun creates a buying opportunity for a decent used PPQ or P99 that is traded in for this latest & greatest Walther. I already have the word out to a friend who works at an LGS to be on the lookout for one before it hits the used gun case.
Old March 25, 2021, 09:53 AM   #45
wild cat mccane

I decided to pass on the PDP and remind myself this every time I go shopping.

Despite the improved trigger, it's just too big to think this gun will be around for a long time. None of the "improvements" did anything to make it more LE popular. So...meh. It will eventually have to be replaced by Walther with something slimmer. Otherwise it will get eaten by others.

Meh. P99/PPQ ardent fan though.
Old March 25, 2021, 10:09 AM   #46
TunnelRat

The only difference in thickness is the slide because the slide no longer tapers. It was explained to you that this was to accommodate a red dot mounting system. The frame is the same width as a PPQ, with the PPQ being a bit wider than other designs if you measure at the slide release levers as those levers protrude more than some other designs.

The PDP may well be replaced one day, and maybe sooner then the PPQ. I’m doubtful that replacement will be a function of a non-tapering slide (Glock is often joked about as being blocky and still enjoys a large presence, if not the largest single presence). Frankly I’ll be surprised if Walther’s presence in the US law enforcement market ever grows substantially. It’s a hell of an uphill battle with Glock, S&W, and SIG all having a larger presence than Walther for decades now.

Last edited by TunnelRat; March 25, 2021 at 11:31 AM.
Old March 26, 2021, 10:41 PM   #47
wild cat mccane

Handgun hero it. The difference between the PPQ and PDP Compact. Throw in the G17.It's 3 different sizes. The compact PDP is only slightly shorter in barrel than the G17 and the PDP goes back farther than the G17. The G17 is just as tall as the compact PDP.

It's small, but it's pretty big in the end. Especially when the barrel length didn't change.

Now, I agree the Walther trigger is the best...but increased the size, just for me, that wasn't worth it as the pic shows this update wasn't an upgrade.
Old March 26, 2021, 11:23 PM   #48
TunnelRat

I looked at them in handgun hero. The PDP is very close in size to the PPQ. We're talking 0.1" taller, 0.4" longer (which I don't think is a critical dimension), and 0.04" in width. Now if that makes a difference for you personally, fair enough.

If your argument is the Glock is more size efficient, and I agree it is, then the same criticism applies to the PPQ. That's why I carry a Glock 19 and will continue to do so for the near future. I question whether in a law enforcement role for a duty pistol worn on a belt if this makes a difference. For law enforcement they might as well go the full size, absent detectives or undercover. I don't think size efficiency is why Walther doesn't have more law enforcement contracts.

Last edited by TunnelRat; March 27, 2021 at 12:11 AM.
Old March 30, 2021, 09:49 PM   #49
JDBerg

This PDP is replacing the PPQ, so I’m assuming there will be an “SC” subcompact version coming out, which is what I’d be interested in looking at.

I was hoping that Walther would be coming out with a higher-cap PPS-M2, which I would have liked to see, since I really like my PPS-M2. But apparently that isn’t happening anytime soon. I like the PPS-SC, but it would be good to have something that is optics ready, so a PDP-SC could definitely fit into my plans. We’ll see what happens.