The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 24, 2007, 08:56 AM   #1
skydiver3346

7x57 for deer hunting

Hi,
Was wondering if anyone can tell me what they think about the 7mm Mauser or more well known 7x57 for deer hunting (up to 200 lbs.)?
I just bought a new Blaser R93 in 7x57 and got it zeroed in but noticed it did not kick at all and was wondering if that means it is not powerful enough to make a long distance shot (like up to 300 yards)?
Thanks for your feedback. Rick
Old December 24, 2007, 09:17 AM   #2
fisherman66

The 7x57, aka 7mm Mauser, aka 275 Rigby is one of those "reasonable" cartridges that carry enough energy for medium game out to distances beyond the capability of most shooters and scopes; yet doesn't punish the shooter. While it has a smaller diameter of the 30/30 it carries more energy due to it's speed and nobody will argue that it's caliber is too small.

To really wring out the performance handloading will allow one to slightly exceed the venerable 7-08 cartridge *only* in a modern rifle (not the early military Mausers).

It doesn't have to kick like a scaled mule to work, and it will more than work provided you do your part.

It gets my vote for best cartridge of all time. (Of course I'm biased since that's my main deer rifle.)

What I really mean is sell me that junky Blaser for a loss now and get something that will really emulsify a deer into one gelatinous mess like the 300 Weatherby.
Old December 24, 2007, 09:33 AM   #3
skydiver3346

7x57

Thanks for the update on the 7x57 Fisherman. Good points you make and glad to know it is your favorite cartridge. Am taking it hunting this week for the first time and excited as it is the first decent rifle I have purchased in some time. I usually hunt with a '58 Marlin Mod. 336 in .35 Remington and it has taken tons of deer over the years but nothing far out as I hunt in Florida and usually 100 yards in. Rick
Old December 24, 2007, 09:46 AM   #4
Dirty_Harry

It has taken elephant, why not use it for deer? People use .223 for deer, and the 7mm is probably 3 times the power. I have personally owned two. Both Mausers, and one I would give any gun I own to get back. It was a Mannlicher type stock, I forget what kind of scope was on it, but it had no recoil. The other was a piece of junk that shot crooked.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old December 24, 2007, 10:23 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The early military rifles in 7mm Mauser had a single locking lug. U.S. ammo makers therefore loaded to a limit of 40,000 psi. Same as for the Krag, or for lever-action cartridges.

Even at 40,000 instead of today's common standard of some 50,000 to 55,000, the old 7x57 is very much adequate for any deer. In a modern rifle, handloading makes it even better.
Old December 24, 2007, 10:42 AM   #6
CajunBass

IIRC, Jack O'Conner always spoke highly of it.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old December 24, 2007, 01:16 PM   #7
Buzzcook

Yes and Heck ya.
Look at the thread on average distances for deer. So far no one shoots out further than what a .30_30 can handle.
Old December 24, 2007, 03:50 PM   #8
Jimro

If you do plan on taking long shots, I recommend bullets in the 170 grain range.

They will hold their energy better past 200 and have a better SD for penetration.

If you don't plan on shooting past 200, just shoot what is most accurate out of your rifle

Jimro
Old December 25, 2007, 12:27 AM   #9
taylorce1

A lot of elk have been taken with the 7x57 and 140 grain bullets. I'd want something heavier but it is a fine rifle for most hunting in the lower 48. I've never heard anyone who owned one that didn't like the rifle.
Old December 25, 2007, 12:57 AM   #10
Wildalaska

When loading for the Blaser, carefully measure your chamber and make sure your handloads are not too long. Make sure the cases are properly sized. Remember you have no primary extraction like in a bolt gun.

Which R93 did you get?

WildblaserfruitAlaska TM
Old December 25, 2007, 10:14 PM   #11
Iosco-Bucks

Over the years, we have taken many deer with the older Mauser loads. The 6.5 x 55 Swedish was a real champ, and we did just as well with the 8 x 57JS. We never had a 7 x 57, but I wouldn't hesitate for a second to pull it from the rack if we had one. I'll have to add that one to my collection.

I remember reading an article on Chuck Hawks website about the magnum craze and how most standard calibers are sufficient for most jobs. I do have a magnum, a 300 Win, but I find myself taking out my 8mm or my 308 Win more often that my 300.
Old December 25, 2007, 11:07 PM   #12
Doc44

Check out MRS. Jack O"Conner, she killed every game animal in N.America with her trusty 7MM Mauser. In Africa she shot all plains game a couple of Bufflo(bigger then Jacks) and 1 nice Elephant. The M'Bogo and Elephant were shot with solids and she had planned to use her 460 Weatherby, but a trophy is not going to wait till you go back to camp. MRS.OC. weighed in at a heavy 110 lbs. So is the 7mm good , yes it's as good as the shooter! Hey aren't all gun? Todays guns may not love the 175grn bullits of old but we make better bullets today. If you don't like the gun let me know! "Windage & Elivation", Doc.
Old December 26, 2007, 01:00 PM   #13
Scorch

I have hunted with a Ruger 77 in 7X57 for the past 30 years. I have never had a problem of not enough power. I have shot muleys weighing up to 230 lbs, and used the same rifle on coyotes and ground squirrels. It is truly one of the most versatile cartridges around.