The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 30, 2016, 10:28 AM   #26
Bartholomew Roberts

A blowback pocket 9? I'd hope it was heavy. Probably heavily sprung too.
Old November 30, 2016, 10:43 AM   #27
Skans

Quote:
A blowback pocket 9? I'd hope it was heavy. Probably heavily sprung too.
It is heavily sprung, and somewhat heavy for its small size. The first trigger pull is stout and heavy, however, follow-up shot in single action mode is not bad at all. Also, trying to get the thing apart is quite difficult! I've often wondered why someone doesn't just make a da/sa pocket 9mm using more of a browning action like the Ruger LC9 - that seems to be a very easy candidate for making it a da/sa pocket 9.
Old November 30, 2016, 04:58 PM   #28
dgludwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig
...the [S&W] Model CS9 ("Chief's Special") 9mm, traditional double-action pistol, has a seven shot capacity magazine, comes with a bobbed hammer that can be manually cocked...

Quote:
"...FWIW the hammers of standard-production Models 3913, 3914*, and CS9 are recessed to the point that they're very difficult to hand-cock without partially drawing back the trigger first, which kinda defeats the purpose..."

Which is why I deliberately used the word "can". I probably should have said "it's possible". I carried a Smith Model 6906, also having the bobbed hammer (as I'm sure you know; guru of all things second and third generation Smiths ) for many years before retiring from le and I did practice "starting" the hammer with the trigger and then cocking it. It's not hard to do with some practice and is a potentially useful mode of shooting and hitting a target that is further away than most self-defense distances typically are-time permitting; which, admittedly, usually isn't the case.
Old November 30, 2016, 05:18 PM   #29
dgludwig

QUOTE: "...Believe me, I've researched the same thing as the OP. Folks can suggest what they want, but there is only one gun, the Detonics Pocket 9,..."

I don't know the dimensions/weight of the Detonics Pocket 9 pistol so I am curious to know how it compares with the aforementioned S&W Model CS9 (weighing 20 ounces and having an oal of just over 6 inches) in terms of the criteria as posed by the op. And not only does the Smith Model CS9 (aka Chiefs Special) conform to all of the op's desired features (excepting the mostly impossible pocketable configuration as posed by any pistol chambered for the 9mm cartridge), unlike the "mostly reliable" Detonics Pocket 9, the CS9, like all Third Generation Smiths, can be counted on to shoot just about all factory ammunition with unmatched reliability.
Old November 30, 2016, 06:29 PM   #30
Mastrogiacomo

I'm a small woman and I can carry nothing in my pocket...I prefer a Glock 26/19, Walther PPS, H&K P2000sk. I'm assuming the only thing that will work for the OP is a S&W .38 with a hammer....I'd love to see the size of a gun that could make any gun "disappear."

Laura
Old November 30, 2016, 07:03 PM   #31
dgludwig

QUOTE: "... I like my two S&W revolvers but neither fits in slacks pockets and I would really like more than 5 shots before reloading..."

For years, I've carried a Colt Cobra revolver that weighs under 16 ounces and is virtually the same size as your J-frame Smiths but carries 20% more ammunition (six shots vs five). I am considering getting a Ruger LCR revolver, chambered in .327 Federal Magnum and having room for six cartridges for edc. I'm partial to J-frame sized, snub-nosed revolvers chambered in potent cartridges that have six round capacities for concealed carry when conditions dictate a smaller, lighter and (of course) an eminently reliable weapon.
Old December 1, 2016, 09:46 AM   #32
Skans

The Detonics Pocket 9 is 5.7" overall length. CS9 oal is 6.25". I believe the weight of the Pocket 9 is 28 ounces. The CS9 is only 20.8 ounces. From what I can tell, the Pocket 9 has a shorter grip than the CS9, but I would have to measure mine to know exactly by how much.

I didn't realize the CS9 was da/sa - I agree, it would be a good candidate! I might even think about getting one.
Old December 1, 2016, 10:23 AM   #33
Laz

I'm going to take a different tack and suggest just keeping the PPKS since it meets all your wants save for caliber. PPKS pistols are usually very accurate and IMO provide enough power for short range personal defense, especially in a warm climate. Except for DA/SA and a hammer that can be manually cocked, the Sig P290rs, as was suggested, would fit your needs admirably. It is DAO with a bobbed hammer. You can buy one for around $400 or a little more with two mags and night sights.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old December 1, 2016, 11:30 AM   #34
TailGator

I am a Floridian, too, and a professional. I think you are overestimating the public in their ability to detect a gun and their willingness to look at certain clothes as out of place.

My EDC is a Glock 26 carried IWB, and my pocket gun for when IWB is not feasible is a Sig P238. I know neither of those fit your criteria, but my point is that cover garments are available to cover whatever pistol you decide on. I routinely wear a light sport coat or a nice tail-out shirt to cover the IWB holster. I own my own practice, so I don't have to leave my pistol in my car at work, but I occasionally do at the post office or government offices. It only takes a couple of seconds to un-holster an IWB pistol and stick it in a lockbox. It doesn't need to be an attention-getting event. I know of no law in any jurisdiction that outlaws an empty holster, so I leave my holster in place. My pocket pistol is used primarily when I go to church, because I am a pianist and have to change from jacket to robe when there are people around.

Light jackets don't get me a second look regardless of time of year, and nice looking shirts made to be worn with the tail out are not hard to find, and look as appropriate here as tucked-in shirts without a jacket. Beall's is a good place to find the latter.
Old December 1, 2016, 08:32 PM   #35
michael t

I carry a KelTec PF-9 in pocket small lite 15oz approx. loaded . Is a hammer fired and mine has had over a 1000 trouble free rounds of ball and HP.
Replaced my P3AT as my pocket pistol I have stopped carrying my CW-9 Kahr I don't like the striker pistols .
Old December 3, 2016, 06:29 AM   #36
db4570

I was on a quest for the exact same type of gun as the OP, and ended up with a S&W CS9 a few years ago (thanks to a recommendation here).

But I never planned to pocket carry it. I carry it in a custom hybrid holster that fits like a glove and holds it tight and close. But after a few months, it was just too darn big. It's a really nice gun, and I still carry it occasionally, but carry a S&W BG380 mostly now.

I, too, wanted a DA/SA 9mm, but finally compromised and became proficient with the BG. Now the CS9 feels like a brick when I carry it. I can't imagine carrying it in a pocket. I know a lot of you guys are very comfortable carrying larger guns. I just found that I was carrying it less and less because of its size and "printing".

David
Old December 3, 2016, 08:26 AM   #37
lwestatbus

Thanks Again

Thanks again for the insights and recommendations. I wanted to do a final recap on my thinking after the recommendations.

1. I am intrigued by the S&W 3913. It is no longer in production so I'm going to have to go on a hunt for a used one. I definitely want to handle one and check for size before springing to buy it. This definitely violates my exposed hammer criteria but I can live with that.

2. Laz's suggestion to just stick with the PPKS .380 is a leading contender given the results of my quest. It IS a dream to shoot and "fits" me. It is definitely the easiest handgun I have to dress around and 8 + 7 rounds ready to go is comforting.

3. The Deltonics suggestion is interesting but this seemed to have only been made for one year and long term maintainability is important to me in any purchase of this sort. I'm suspicious of the ability to find parts and someone to service it should the need arise.

4. I am going to look once again at striker fired options and see if I can change my mind. The recent American Rifleman write up on the Walther PPS M2 suggested some interesting trigger pull characteristics and if I can get my head wrapped around the whole idea of striker actions it opens up multiple offerings from mainstream manufacturers.

One final observation was the number of people interested in a similar platform. It suggests a market niche that may be lucrative if someone was willing to fill it.

Many thanks again for the thoughtful and informative responses.
Old December 5, 2016, 12:39 AM   #38
Laz

An interesting feature of the PPS M2 is the cocking indicator which protrudes out the back as the trigger pull cocks the striker. That allows you to reholster with your thumb over that indicator. Anything which might snag the trigger and begin to depress it would give you an immediate tactile response, much like a person placing his thumb on a hammer while reholstering. The PPS M2 might be very similar to the PPKS in size, on paper, but it seems larger to me. Especially through the slide, being locked breech with the recoil spring under the barrel instead of around it and with the 7 and 8 round mags. I find myself also attracted to the PPS M2 quite a bit.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old December 5, 2016, 01:41 AM   #39
BWM

You might look at a Bersa 380 they have a very good track record for being accurate it is one good gun I have the older mod and a 9mm both have given me rill service 1000rd throw both of them. Look them up jest tripe in Bersa 380. GOOD LUCK on what ever you do
Old December 5, 2016, 02:53 AM   #40
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Essential Features:

9mm
Exposed hammer capable of manual cocking if possible
DA first shot, SA afterward
Single stack w min 6+1 rounds, 7+1 better
Small enough to fit in a pocket
Reliable
This is on my wish list too. I'd love to see something like the PPS in hammer-fired DA/SA. With it's novel DA/SA striker mechanism, a compact, single-stack version of the P99 would be something. I'm just not holding my breath. (They are finally coming out with a rifle in .327 Federal so I suppose anything is possible.)

The closest thing I could find in real life was the Sig P239. I'm not sure how good it would be for pocket carry but I'd bet it rides very nicely IWB. If you've got a problem with too much spare cash lying around, you could always get the Cadillac of concealed carry: https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p239-...2-compact.html
Old February 18, 2017, 09:11 AM   #41
lwestatbus

What the Hell, Let's Buy Two

After a fruitless search for exactly what I wanted I ended up buying TWO pistols though, to be honest, one was a target of opportunity.

I ended up buying a Kimber Micro 9 Stainless and explicitly gave up the DA first shot capability and accepted the requirement to carry cocked and locked close to my groin. This was a pistol I just kept coming back to time after time. I was actually rather torn between the stainless model and the Raptor (+$200) because the Raptor was an absolute work of art. However I have a suspicion of uncontrolled luminescence after an unfortunate incident at Ranger School 40 years ago and ended up with the stainless. I decided against the two-tone after suspecting and confirming through research that its finish might suffer with long-term holstering/unholstering.

During my search I also found a S&W 3913 for $300 out the door and it was too good a deal to pass up. It was a police department turn-in after a departmental upgrade. I actually don't really know what I will do with this pistol since it isn't all that much smaller than my Kimber 4" Pro Carry but the price was right.

Thanks to everyone who participated in this research.
Old February 19, 2017, 08:20 PM   #42
Auto5

My Kimber Solo comes close, but it's striker fired. If you're into chasing unicorns, you can try to find one of the S&W 39 ASP conversions from the '70s. If you're willing to spend a small fortune, you can even buy one, or have a custom gunsmith make one up for you.

P.S, I had a Detonics Pocket 9, because I couldn't afford/find an ASP. Hard pass on the Pocket 9. The Star M43 was way better, but it's a SA.
Old February 20, 2017, 06:45 PM   #43
rodfac

Glad you found a compromise that suited you. I'm late to the discussion but Sig's P290 or P290RS might have tempted you since you regularly carry a M60 with a 3" tube (me too & with adj. sights as is yours). The P290's are DOA however, but surprise...that long DA pull is very similar to the Smith M60. The drawback is that the Sig is nearly as heavy...better to carry it in an OWB holster. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 21, 2017, 10:26 AM   #44
Joe_Pike

You're doing yourself a great disservice by not even considering the P938. I carry one in my pocket almost every day and it is a great shooter.
Old March 11, 2017, 04:23 PM   #45
lwestatbus

Quote:
You're doing yourself a great disservice by not even considering the P938. I carry one in my pocket almost every day and it is a great shooter.
I actually looked long and hard at the P938. Two factors steered me to the Kimber. First, I own two Kimber .45 1911s and have been very happy with them.

The second reason is that I knew I was going to want a total of five additional magazines*. The Kimber factory mags were less expensive than the Sigs.

* I keep three mags 'active' for my carry semi auto pistols. In this case I now have two sets containing one 6 round flush mag and 2 extended 7 round mags. I unload the active set about every six weeks and swap them.

BTW: The extended mags change the grip on the Kimber significantly.
Old March 12, 2017, 05:13 AM   #46
chaim

So, based on the quote below, you are looking for something that is pocketable in the same way a J-frame is pocketable. That is a lot of small 9mms, but not many that meet all your criteria, and no current production. The best match, as many have said, is the old S&W CS9 (significantly smaller than the 3913). If you can give up an "essential" without adding a "deal breaker" feature, the DAO but hammer fired SIG P290RS is probably your best bet in current production.

Quote:
am going to investigate the S&W 3913 for size. I have a 6906 and the exterior appearance is quite similar. Plus the 3913 is the same length as my PPKS but an inch taller which means bigger pockets.

Let me clarify why I am looking for this particular configuration and also address those who suggested modifying my carry method.

I live in Florida where temps can be really hot and humid. I am a university professor and am able to work from home about half the time but when I travel to campus I am in dressier clothes with slacks or a suit. I can have my firearm on campus but only locked in my car. The issue for me is the transition maneuver if I want to make a stop between campus and home. In the absence of a pistol meeting my original requirements my options are, 1) carry my .380 PPKS in my pocket, 2) carry my Kimber 4" 1911 in either of three holsters but that requires putting on a jacket, or 3) going unarmed.

Now, if you are in Florida in most months of the year and somebody is stopping in the parking lot to fumble around their belt and then put on a jacket in 90 degree weather it is screaming "gun". And the dorkiness factor gets pretty high when you're wandering through Home Depot in a suit with jacket. Shirt and tie says this guy's stopping by on the way home from work. Jacket says something else. So this particular and frequent situation would benefit a LOT from something that I can unobtrusively slip into my pocket while getting out of my car.

I am fully equipped for any other kind of carry situation I may be in. When not going to campus I am in shorts and Cabellas has some great ones that take my S&W Model 60 3" barrel with adjustable sights or the PPKS. I have shoulder holsters for everything, IWB holsters, etc. My exercise program anymore is a 2 mile round trip walk to Starbucks (S&W Mod 60 5" barrel in a shoulder holster).

I am a competent shot with any of my handguns and I have been shot at (Iraq) and kept my cool. But I would like more confidence that it won't take three or more hits to put someone on the ground. I like my two S&W revolvers but neither fits in slacks pockets and I would really like more than 5 shots before reloading.

I am 62 now and grew up with 1911s in the Army and transitioned to the current issue 9mm. I want to be able to see the state of my firearm and I really want the light trigger of a semi auto after it is cocked and ready to go.
It may be because I have only been awake for about 15 minutes, but I'm not sure if I'm reading that you are looking for something you can take off and put on quite unobtrusively or if you are looking for something you can carry against your employer's rules with minimum chances of being seen and risking your job. If the first, how about a tuckable IWB holster (anything Glock 26 size and smaller will pretty much disappear), if the second, why not your regular carry and an easy on/off paddle holster for those days you are heading in to work.

If you want something you can drop in a pocket for temporary and short term need (ie the pocketable 9mms), you don't want a striker fired auto, and you are comfortable with your 3" snub, why not get a 2" snub since that is pretty much what it is best at?
Old March 12, 2017, 09:27 PM   #47
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

No need for an 9mm Luger as CCW.

Just get an 380 acp. And use ONLY FMJ (ball) ammo in the 380 auto.
The 380 acp with FMJ gets you more penetration than an 9x19 with hollow points.

See this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soNdX36P-3E&sns=em

The 380 auto ball ammo penetrated 19.6“
The 9mm Luger hollow point penetrated 17“.

380 auto has the advantage of less recoil in such light guns.

Tags
9mm , dasa , pocket carry