The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 3, 2014, 03:58 PM   #1
David Clark

Ruger 77/44 SWC chambering problems

I recently purchased a Ruger 77/44. Love the rifle, but it will not chamber semi-wad cutter ammunition from the magazine. The bullet hangs up on the mouth of the chamber. Is this common or do I have a warranty problem? Is there a way to correct this? I cannot imagine Ruger deliberately building a rifle chambered for revolver cartridges that will not handle the most common bullet design.
Old January 3, 2014, 04:38 PM   #2
Snyper

Someone recently had a similar problem with an M1 Carbine, and solved it by slightly chamfering the feed ramp/chamber junction

If you closely study where they get hung up, you may be able to see exactly what's happening and whether or not it can be resolved
Old January 6, 2014, 08:36 AM   #3
Ozzieman

Mine does the same thing but only on the first round out of the magazine.
Since I have a lot of different lead bullets I went with the most accurate lead bullet I have ever tried. His 240 Truncated cone will hold 3 inches at 100 yards pushed hard. They also make a 180 GR but it has accuracy problems in my gun.
I don’t know if Ruger would consider this a manufacturing issue but you can give them a call. My biggest problem with the gun is the short magazine. I have 320 GR bullets that work very well in my Marlin for short range brush against pigs but they won’t fit in the Ruger magazine.

http://www.pennbullets.com/44/44-caliber.html

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old January 7, 2014, 11:43 AM   #4
David Clark

Ruger 77/44

Thanks for the information. I have noticed the problems with the short magazine as well. I love Ruger products, but they have built a few fauxpas - the 10/22 that doesn't lock open on the last shot, the Number 1 in 45:70 with the stubby barrel, failing to chamber the Number 3 in 30:30.