The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 22, 2022, 02:55 PM   #1
Wildernesshunter

$1 a Yard.......

Well, nearly $1 a yard.....

I am hoping this will be a good little gun for me to start shooting 1k again.... on a seriously low budget.

The whole platform cost me $1,068.... out the door, hence $1 a yard.

Savage Model 110, 24" Medium Heavy Barrel and break and +20 MOA Rail. Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 and Weaver 30mm rings.

It's chamber is 6.5 PRC..... and at the moment, I am in possession of 40 rounds. Ammo is going to be an issue and I will most certainly purchase the dies and do my own loading.

I hope to go to the range, once it is cleared of ice and snow... so maybe in the next 2-4 weeks. I'll let you know how it shoots, once I break it in.

Most certainly, I will spring for a Boyd's stock and get it properly bedded.... but that will happen in a couple months.

Last edited by Wildernesshunter; January 25, 2022 at 09:54 PM.
Old January 23, 2022, 09:17 AM   #2
Road_Clam

As long as that stock's forend allows the barrel to remain free floated when the rifle is supported by either a bipod or a rest you are GTG . I have a Savage 12 FT-R and it's an outstanding shooter, way better rifle than my skills allow !
Old January 23, 2022, 05:30 PM   #3
Sevens

Man it would be great if they priced a bunch of packages just like this! I would swear to never engage any targets beyond 250 yards, and happy to pay $300 for the entire thing, you can keep the change!
Old January 23, 2022, 05:54 PM   #4
BornFighting88

Now you have me interested to see what my build cost per yard. I will have to get out a piece of paper and a pencil and scratch those numbers.

Very nice platform! I am intrigued by their new Impulse line with that straight pull setup.

My $0.02... order your Boyd's stock and glass bedding compound now! If you have the time, get it in and bedded during that 2-4 week lead time before going to the range. Rifle might (not guaranteed) shoot a little different between the factory stock and the hardwood/glass bed stock. Also, I have not had the best luck in the world with any Weaver rings, YRMV. I have since turned to Warne steel rings and haven't looked back.

Can't wait to see the range report. Nice rifle.
Old January 25, 2022, 03:41 PM   #5
hounddawg

nice rig. Just a suggestion on the stock, instead of a bedded Boyds try a KRG bravo. No bedding needed. I have several Boyds and one KRG, the KRG is worth the extra $$

https://northlandshooterssupply.com/...oup-krg-bravo/
Old January 25, 2022, 08:15 PM   #6
Scorch

While just about any rifle can reach 1,000 yds, some just do it easier than others. 6.5 PRC will reach out nicely. Is ammo going to be an issue? Absolutely, so buy more and get into reloading.
Old January 25, 2022, 09:56 PM   #7
Wildernesshunter

Yeah... I am a reloader.... and plan to purchase the 6.5 PRC dies in short order.

Old January 26, 2022, 05:50 AM   #8
sako2

Oh it's going to be more than a $1 per yard. Factory ammo is about $5 per round and components are crazy. Brass is around $4 a piece.. When you start loading for it start with rl26 or Ramshot magnum.
Old January 27, 2022, 09:38 PM   #9
emissary1911

Heres some of the best scope mounts I have found !

https://www.dnzproducts.com/

One piece and solid as a rock on my Savage 10 FPC!

Aheck of alot better than 2 piece Weaver or Leopold
Old January 27, 2022, 09:54 PM   #10
MarkCO

I am sure the rifle and shooter are capable.

The choice of rings and scope...I am wincing. I hope it works out, but I have just seen too many of those rings and lower end Vortex frustrate the heck out of people when they get past normal hunting distances.

And yes on the KRG over Boyds for a long range rig.
Old January 28, 2022, 11:44 AM   #11
Wildernesshunter

I am also putting together an AR Grendel this month and had to swap around the scope rings.... So the Vortex is held in some 'beefier' rings now. I put the Weaver Rings on the Grendel.