The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 15, 2017, 10:13 AM   #1
TrueBlue711

Short stock for auto shotgun

I'm looking at getting my wife an semi auto shotgun. But she's 4'10" and needs a stock around 12" length of pull. Makes shopping for guns for her more difficult and usually need youth models (for example, her rifle is the Browning Micro Midas, which is a youth model). At the same time, I'm not looking to break the bank. She loves shooting shotgun, but she doesn't go too often. So I don't want to buy an expensive Browning or Bernelli when she doesn't go often.
So with that background, I have two questions:
1) Is there a semi auto shotgun that takes the same stock as it's pump action brother (such as the Remington 870 and 1100)? I know companies like Hogue make short length of pull stocks for pump action shotguns. Would I be able to put those stocks on the semi-auto variants?
2) What are good budget semi auto models that are offered in youth size? I know Weatherby and Franchi offer models. Are there better choices for the same price or cheaper?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that she does have a pump action currently (Rem 870). Main reason I want to get her an auto shotgun is she is too slow to pump for doubles on skeet or during hunting because her arm is full stretched out to to grab the pump. And that's with a short stock too. Does anybody know of a pump replacement that's for the 870 that's longer than the normal pump? I think I've seen the turkey models have them, but I just want to buy the pump. That way, she can reach the pump and not have her elbow locked in order to do so.

Last edited by TrueBlue711; September 15, 2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old September 15, 2017, 12:39 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Youth models are nothing more than the big kid's model with a shorter butt stock. I'd be checking that LOP. Not many tall people have that short of an LOP.
What's your budget? Semi's tend to be pricey. Most of 'em seem to be synthetic stocked too. Easier to buy a regular wood stocked shotgun and cut the stock with a mitre saw or in a mitre box.
Oh and you don't get a say or to pick the thing. Take her shopping.
Remington Youth 1100 and 11-87 semi's only come in 20 gauge. If that matters. To her!
Old September 15, 2017, 01:07 PM   #3
TrueBlue711

Quote:
Youth models are nothing more than the big kid's model with a shorter butt stock. I'd be checking that LOP.
Exactly my point. She's super short and needs a super short LOP (sorry, I fat-fingered 5'10" in original post. Corrected to her height of 4'10"). 12" seems to be good. I think most youth models have around a 12" LOP. And she likes synthetic over wood.
Budget is no more than $750. That's why I was looking strongly at the Weatherby SA-08 Compact model. I'm finding them for between $500 and $600. I get that they're in 20 ga only, but it doesn't matter to her.
I totally understand that she's the final decision authority for picking out the gun. I'm just looking at what options are out there for the budget and LOP issue.
Old September 15, 2017, 01:21 PM   #4
lefteye

I put a Remington Youth Model stock on my 870 Home Defense 12 ga. I think that stock would probably fit your wife. I don't where they are available.

Edit: Midway sells them. Midway also sells another brand stock for the 1100 that is 12 1/2" long and costs only $60 plus shipping.

Last edited by lefteye; September 15, 2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old September 15, 2017, 06:25 PM   #5
Virginian

And gauge for gauge, nothing shoots softer than a Remington 1100.
Old September 18, 2017, 05:07 PM   #6
TrueBlue711

Quote:
I put a Remington Youth Model stock on my 870 Home Defense 12 ga. I think that stock would probably fit your wife. I don't where they are available.
She already does have a youth stock on her 870. She still has to really reach to grab the pump. She still uses it for turkey hunting and trap shooting, but she's about done shooting where a fast pump is needed (i.e. skeet, duck/dove hunting). Hence the hunt for an auto loading shotgun.

I did see that the 1100 has youth stocks available on midway for fairly cheap, which was good news. I'm hoping to find a good used 1100 for a decent price, then put that stock on it. She wants the gun camo for duck/turkey hunting, but I can get it hydrodipped down the road if I can't find a camo version.
Old September 18, 2017, 05:16 PM   #7
FITASC

Remember the 1100 has a recoil spring in the stock, whereas the pump does not. There are wood stocks that can be altered, but also remember, that ladies' fitting requirements are a lot more than LOP. Pitch, toe, comb, DAH, DAC, etc. are also factors.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa