The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old July 13, 2017, 04:11 PM   #1
e-bear

another crappy deal with Amazon

So, Im searching the net for Lee .357Mag dies and I see Amazon has NEW ones at least 10 bucks cheaper than anybody. Oh cool. So I give'em my money and choose free shipping. A week to 10 days delivery time....still cool. 2days later a box is in my mailbox from Amazon....Oh Really Cool. I can tell there's no packing because stuff is just loose rattling around in it....hhhhmmm. When I open it up sure enough no wrapping or packing of any kind and the dies and powder dipper is out of the plastic case. The case is closed but empty....HHHHmmm again.
Then I notice there is no shell holder #1 included anywhere in there. No more cool. Upon closer inspection it is easy to see that the dies are used and sold as NEW. My cool has warmed to aggravation. So, anyway I have to drive into town and drop the box off at a UPS place and send them back. IF Amazon decides that I have a gripe about the whole affair they will refund my money to my card 7 days after they receive them.

I imagine when they get the return I will be informed that a refund will not be given because the shell holder is missing.

After reading some of the reviews about reloading stuff at Amazon I am not the first to get used and missing parts for reloading equipment. I should have ordered again from Midway
Just be careful dealing with Amazon.
signed, Pissed off plinker.
Old July 13, 2017, 04:18 PM   #2
TXAZ

I've had very good luck returning stuff that was not what was advertised.
Hang in there and go thru the Amazon return process AND leave professional / accurate feedback to the seller to help others.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old July 13, 2017, 04:45 PM   #3
indie_rocker

Amazon has one of the best return policies around. You could have returned it just because it was missing the shell holder and all would have been good.

Chill. You'll get your refund. Sorry you had a bad experience. I've had them with Midway too. But reputable companies usually do things to make wrongs right.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
Old July 13, 2017, 06:43 PM   #4
reinert

Just less than two weeks ago, I received a padded manila envelope that was supposed to contain a dial caliper I ordered from amazon prime. The envelope was torn half-way through at the flap, and there was nothing in there. I got a hold of amazon's customer service, and working with a guy that had a fairly heavy accent, we worked it out in short (well, sort of) order and I got a full refund, which I agreed to with the C.S. guy as a gift certificate (credit). This was the only time I've ever had a problem such as that with amazon. They did right by me, and I'll give them a kudos on their prompt service, and the refund. Stick with them and the process to make it right by you. I found them very easy, and courteous to work with.
Old July 13, 2017, 07:19 PM   #5
rob-c

I have ordered 4 turret plates ,4 auto disc powder measures, 380,38,357,and 44 dies from amazon with zero problems. plus numerous other items with zero complaint's.. stuff happens no doubt..
Old July 13, 2017, 07:24 PM   #6
UncleEd

In ordering gun related components, take note if the stuff is really part
of the Amazon inventory of if it is listed as a subsidiary source that
sells "through" Amazon. Often it's a gun-related shop or warehouse.

BUT, if you don't like it then return it and you'll get a full refund. See
its policy about returns on its site.

You'll also probably through email get a query as to how the original
source did in supplying you. That's the chance to rap the source/warehouse/shop.

While Amazon isn't perfect, for me it beats shopping around stores
and burning up gasoline or spending time making telephone calls.

Truly, though, we are all getting spoiled. Read the papers about how
malls are dying because of internet sales and how efficient it is.
Old July 13, 2017, 08:08 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I've bought just about all my Lee dies and equipment from Natchez Shooters' Supplies. I think their prices are better than Midway, and they're nicer people to deal with. The web site is sometimes difficult to wade through, so I generally just call, and the people on the phone are very knowledgeable.

https://www.natchezss.com/

No, I am not in any way affiliated with them. Just a happy customer.
Old July 14, 2017, 05:50 AM   #8
Russell P

I've had very good luck buying all of my Lee reloading equipment from Amazon. I think the key is to make sure it is new.

I have only had to send one order back to Amazon and as soon as I turned it over to UPS, an hour later my refund was back in the bank account.

Russ P
Old July 14, 2017, 06:37 AM   #9
FITASC

Quote:
^^^^^ This is most often the case. Well over half the stuff available from Amazon doesn't come from Amazon.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 14, 2017, 06:45 AM   #10
Hal

Quote:
That holds true for just about everything you find on Amazon these days.

Also - - -you can download and install an app called "Wikibuy" that will run in your browser ( currently only Chrome) and will locate the best price on the net for the item you buy.

I've used it numerous times & it really works well.

It's very useful for things that you find that don't meet minimum shipping.

(I'm not in any way affiliated with Wikibuy - just a very satisfied user).
Old July 14, 2017, 06:54 AM   #11
NoSecondBest

Your time would have been better spent working with Amazon rather than getting on here and bashing them before you did anything else. Nothing wrong with sharing a bad experience so others can learn from it, but in this case you're just using this site as a soap box to get on and bash a company that has yet to be given a chance to make anything right. From the responses you've gotten so far, it doesn't look like there's a lot of sympathy for you or animosity towards Amazon. I've never had a problem with them on anything I've bought and in one case when I contacted the company I bought from and got something else Amazon helped. The company refused to accept a return and give a refund. Amazon assured me that they'd get it taken care of or that company wouldn't be selling anymore on Amazon and Amazon would get me my money. Within the same day I got the correct product shipped to me from that company and at no charge to me for return postage, etc. I think they were very responsive.
Old July 14, 2017, 07:00 AM   #12
Bartholomew Roberts

I think Amazon has a substantial problem with cheap forgeries masquerading as the real product. It isn't limited to gun parts; but for some reason that is where I seem to have the problem most often when using Amazon.

As a result, I just don't use Amazon for gun stuff any more. Brownells or Midway are almost as easy to deal with and less worry for me.
Old July 14, 2017, 08:21 AM   #13
rickyrick

Amazon used to have gun parts and a great selection. Not so much currently. I don't buy much of anything gun related from Amazon any more. I do buy scopes from Amazon occasionally.
Old July 14, 2017, 12:15 PM   #14
Double Naught Spy

The buyer needs to be aware when they are dealing with Amazon or a vendor going through Amazon. There is a difference. Check before you buy.
Old July 14, 2017, 12:43 PM   #15
thallub

Never had a problem with returning items to Amazon. i've returned several items that were not as advertised; all were from vendors. The bore of one .54 caliber muzzleloader barrel was badly pitted: It went back the day it was received. Got a refund on that one too.
Old August 13, 2017, 08:37 AM   #16
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts View Post
I think Amazon has a substantial problem with cheap forgeries masquerading as the real product. It isn't limited to gun parts; but for some reason that is where I seem to have the problem most often when using Amazon.

As a result, I just don't use Amazon for gun stuff any more. Brownells or Midway are almost as easy to deal with and less worry for me.
If you are buying from 3rd parties on Amazon then it can be the Wild Wild West similar to Ebay. There are forgeries and misrepresented products but unlike Ebay Amazon's return policy is better than almost everyone. I have never had an issue returning anything to Amazon.

I am a Prime Member so pretty much only buys stuff that ships via 2 day Prime which means Amazon is physically got the item in one of their facilities. The are very good at maintaining quality when it is product they are shipping from their warehouses. Also if Amazon is the seller you can be 100% sure that it is legit. IMHO

Too many people believe that Amazon is "Selling" everything listed on Amazon which is no longer the case.
Old August 13, 2017, 09:28 AM   #17
JWT

WVsig has it exactly right when it comes to Amazon. I buy from them all the time as a Prime member. Whenever I've had a return it has been fast and easy. The refund is generally inback on my credit card as soon as the item is in the UPS system.
Old August 13, 2017, 10:33 AM   #18
deserted

I quit Amazon some years ago after a year of their "free" $75 year shipping. That's not free shipping. That's $75/year shipping. Now I hear it's $99 (again, free. Believe what you want, I guess). And NOTHING ever arrived in the two days claimed. Nothing at all, ever, it was always at least three days, and more commonly a week or so, so I gave up on it.
Old August 14, 2017, 05:10 AM   #19
HiBC

Quote:
I quit Amazon some years ago after a year of their "free" $75 year shipping. That's not free shipping. That's $75/year shipping. Now I hear it's $99 (again, free. Believe what you want, I guess). And NOTHING ever arrived in the two days claimed. Nothing at all, ever, it was always at least three days, and more commonly a week or so, so I gave up on it.
Nothing personal,but if you gave up on them "some years ago" where would you get recent experience to base your testimony?
More comes with Prime than shipping,and the Prime makes SOME non-gun ,hard to find locally items practical to order. If I read Capstick or Ruark and have a wild hair for Biltong,I can order it with free shipping.
Shop however you like,but my Amazon Prime experiences have been good.
They tell you up front if shipping will take longer.
The way things are in my town,"going out to buy local" takes AT LEAST an hour. Traffic is stressful and a pain.Odds are good I will have to go to 2 or 3 stores to find what I want. If I want 12 stainless 10-32 pan head screws 1 1/2 in long,store # 3 may have 9 in stock for 80 cents each. I could order a box of 100 for less and be done. What is 2 hours in traffic worth? $10? More? I prefer the "Add to cart"
I've found them remarkably good at making delivery,sometimes its FedEx on Sunday.

Last edited by HiBC; August 14, 2017 at 05:17 AM.
Old August 14, 2017, 08:08 AM   #20
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Amazon Prime is a membership. It isn't free shipping. It is one of the perqs of membership is all, just like joining a gun range. We order 5-6 things a month throughout much of the year. So pretty much are saving money on shipping long before Christmas comes as the program has more than paid for itself and everything shipped around Christmas is free. It is a good experience.

Then there are other perqs like the free movies and such that come the membership on top of that.

So if you use the program enough, not only is it free, but will start saving you a goodly amount of money. On top of that, the prices are usually competitive or better than what is found at the locally.
Old August 14, 2017, 09:09 AM   #21
pete2

I still buy from Amazon. I usually use free shipping but I notice that lately it usually takes 10 days or so. I assume this is to encourage you to purchase Amazon Prime or pay normal shipping. More and more I compare Midway and Brownells prices and shipping. If The price is close(sometimes you save money) I get the stuff from them instead of Amazon. Both Brownells and Midway usually ship next day or maybe even same day.