The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 18, 2006, 01:07 PM   #1
Homerboy

Knoxx Compstock vs. SpecOps Stock

I'm getting back into shooting shotguns again and was thinking of putting a Knoxx recoil reducing stock on a Remington 870. I prefer the more traditional look of the Compstock over the SpecOps one. There's only a $10 difference in price between the two. Does the SpecOps stock abosrb more recoil than the Compstock? If they're similar, I'd probably get the Compstock, but if the newer SpecOps absorbs more, I would probably get that one.

Anyone?
Old April 18, 2006, 03:43 PM   #2
webbee

The SpecOps does reduce the recoil more than any of their other stocks. That being said, I haven't shot the CompStock yet. I have a COPstock and it can be shot one handed with out doing much damage to your hand/arm. It's a case of it reducing the recoil enough. I wouldn't be afraid to try the CompStock because I think it will reduce the recoil enough, too. It really depends on what style you need, and not worrying about the recoil reduction aspect, in my opinion. Knoxx products do what they say, there isn't any false advertising of their products, in my experience. YMMV
Old April 18, 2006, 06:49 PM   #3
Homerboy

Ordered the SpecOps one. For a $10 difference, there wasn't much reason to go with something that cushions less. Looking forward to blasting away with it.
Old April 18, 2006, 07:18 PM   #4
san_chang4837

The SpecOps Stock looks like it is made for shotguns with pistol grips. The CompStock is the only one that is advertised without a pistol grip.
Old April 18, 2006, 08:25 PM   #5
Homerboy

The SPec Ops one is made for the Remington 870 and others. It replaces the standard stoc wth a pistol grip adjustable butt.
Old April 18, 2006, 08:48 PM   #6
BobK

Don't remember which is which but I just put a Knoxx with the non folding shoulder stock and pistol grip on my 870. It seemed to reduce recoil by about a third. Works well and looks better.
Old April 18, 2006, 09:26 PM   #7
san_chang4837

Thanks Homer.
Old April 19, 2006, 03:00 PM   #8
perpster

Where are the best prices for Knoxx stocks? Is buying from them direct a good price or way-high like many manufacturers?
Old April 19, 2006, 06:02 PM   #9
CaCrusin

Quote:
Where are the best prices for Knoxx stocks? Is buying from them direct a good price or way-high like many manufacturers?
We sell our products direct to the public at Suggested Retail, with small discounts to military, law enforcement and forum members, as a service and convenience. We do not compete with our dealers and distributors, as their survival is more imprtant to us than the few extra dollars we could make by discounting to the public. It's tough to survive as a gun dealer these days.

A search of the Web will show a number of our dealers who have discounts available. There is a growing demand for our products and so you will not find deep discounts as you might with other product lines.

Regardless of what you pay for your Knoxx stock, you can be confident that it will exceed your expectations.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
Old April 19, 2006, 07:45 PM   #10
Homerboy

CaCrusin:

Just to clarify: the SpecOps stock is legal in NY since pump shotguns weren't part of the AWB, correct?
Old April 20, 2006, 06:18 PM   #11
CaCrusin

Quote:
Just to clarify: the SpecOps stock is legal in NY since pump shotguns weren't part of the AWB, correct?
You are correct, Sir!

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
Old April 21, 2006, 01:29 AM   #12
ranburr

Ca Cruisin, Does the Special-ops stock reduce more recoil than your more traditional stock? Your basic traditional stock claims a 50% reduction in felt recoil. How much does the Special-ops stock cut down felt recoil.

ranburr
Old April 21, 2006, 07:49 AM   #13
Homerboy

Site claims up to 95%.
Old April 21, 2006, 12:42 PM   #14
CaCrusin

The CompStock (traditional style) has been tested by Browning Arms Laboratory and been shown to reduce net peak recoil by 54.8%. That is an objective measurable number that can be compared to any other recoil reduction system. The subjective measure is felt recoil and differs for each person depending on size, weight, and amount of body fat, arm length and fitment of the stock.

The felt recoil reduction with the CompStock is usually given at around 80% or more. The SpecOps uses the same mechanism as the CompStock but it is installed in the pistol grip. A second mechanism is in the butt stock. Combining the effects of the two mechanisms with the adjustability of the stock generates the higher felt recoil reduction numbers. In actual practice, they are very similar and both are highly effective. If the fixed length-of-pull of 13.5 inches works for you and you prefer a traditional style, then the Compstock is right for you. If your LOP need are different or more than one person will be using the shotgun, then the SpecOps would be a better choice.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
Old April 25, 2006, 11:37 AM   #15
buckster

? for CaCrusin

I am thinking about putting your stock on my new Maverick 88. Heard good reports about it. But I have absolutely set my sights on putting my A-bolt in your Spec-ops Sniper stock. I was thinking of buying a un-machined stock and let A.I. do it for me. He will be working on Brownings this summer, and I'm wondering if you'll ship one like that.The synthetic stock is holding back my accuracy and it just looks great. Please e-mail me.
Old April 25, 2006, 09:39 PM   #16
BobK

It does work as advertised. I had a wood stock on this 870 for months because I couldn't make up my mind as to which stocks I wanted. I just happened across this Spec-Ops at a gun shop. Several of us shot it and liked it well enough that 2 others also bought one. The adjustable stock also helps too. I'm glad I waited.
Old April 26, 2006, 10:47 PM   #17
perpster

CaCruisin, thanks for the replies and the selection advice.
Old April 28, 2006, 02:11 AM   #18
SoonerBJJ

Knoxx is offering a 5% discount and free shipping to Firing Line members. All things considered it's on par with the best prices out there. I just ordered one. FWIW.