The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old May 15, 2021, 01:54 PM   #1
Geezerbiker

What to do with contaminated lead?

I have about 30 pounds of lead I salvaged from tire weights but I think I missed a zinc weight and this batch is contaminated. I've had those ingots in a GI ammo can for years and now I need to find a use for them or to get rid of them. Any good ideas?

Tony
Old May 15, 2021, 04:28 PM   #2
Dave P

I sure would not worry about contamination in 30 lbs. Pour it, shoot it.
Old May 16, 2021, 08:15 AM   #3
Mike / Tx

Quote:
That would be my plan as well. I had a batch that was really weird and looked like oatmeal that I broke down I nto ingots and mixes into known pure to use making RN bullets for blasting ammo. So far I've used it successfully on several thousand 9mm bullets and to make up jig heads for fishing.
Old May 16, 2021, 12:44 PM   #4
TXAZ

There are metal recyclers in most every city if you don’t want to shoot it.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old May 16, 2021, 12:55 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

Dive weights.
Sell the alloy to a dive shop or diver.
Old May 18, 2021, 01:22 AM   #6
Geezerbiker

Thanx for the suggestions. I don't know of any dive shop around here but I'll look. The last time I tried to cast bullets from this batch of alloy the didn't fill out well. For now I have plenty of good alloy to cast with so I'll get around to dealing with this when I do...

Tony
Old May 18, 2021, 07:06 AM   #7
Doyle

Could it be be used for fishing weight casting?
Old May 18, 2021, 07:55 AM   #8
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P View Post
Depending on how many Zinc weights were missed, Zinc contamination results in misshapen bullets that cannot be used.

Also, trying to dilute Zinc contaminated bullet casting alloy by adding more pure lead has been reported by some casters as being problematic in that they maintain that it will take great deal of pure lead to dilute the Zinc contamination to the point where cast bullets become usable.
Old May 18, 2021, 08:01 AM   #9
BarryLee

Why not simply toss it in the general household trash? I believe all municipal landfills are lined and this is really not a large amount.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 18, 2021, 09:08 AM   #10
anothernewb

cast a few. see how they turn out. If they cast okay. then no worries. if they don't, then there's always the other options. All depends on how much zinc is actually in there.
Old May 21, 2021, 01:58 PM   #11
gwpercle

Cast it into small "mini-muffin" ingots and add 1 mini-muffin to every pot when you fill it for casting . In small amounts the zinc has no discernable affect on a large pot 10 - 20 lb. pot ... there is just too little zinc in it to do any harm .
Times are too hard to be throwing any reloading stuff away .
Gary
Old May 22, 2021, 06:23 AM   #12
5whiskey

Quote:
Cast it into small "mini-muffin" ingots and add 1 mini-muffin to every pot when you fill it for casting . In small amounts the zinc has no discernable affect on a large pot 10 - 20 lb. pot ... there is just too little zinc in it to do any harm .
Times are too hard to be throwing any reloading stuff away .
Gary
Best answer I think. 1-2 pounds of the contaminated lead per 10 pounds of Known good alloy should dilute enough to use as normal. And agreed it would hurt my soul right now to just toss 30 pounds of lead. Even if it did have issues.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old May 22, 2021, 07:10 AM   #13
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryLee View Post
Why not simply toss it in the general household trash? I believe all municipal landfills are lined and this is really not a large amount.
Oh, Lord. You sound like the commercial fisherman I knew that use to pour used motor oil on his dirt driveway to keep the dust down. You might as well dump sewage into the Bay; he finally got the message.
Old May 22, 2021, 08:12 AM   #14
LOLBELL

I had an Aunt that put used motor oil on the dirt road in front of her house to keep the dust down. Worked great. You would get locked up for doing that nowadays. I never could understand all the hoopla. The oil and lead originated in the ground, whats wrong with putting it back where it came from. I pump water out of the ground to water my lawn and nobody says anything.
Old May 22, 2021, 09:50 AM   #15
Geezerbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5whiskey View Post
Best answer I think. 1-2 pounds of the contaminated lead per 10 pounds of Known good alloy should dilute enough to use as normal. And agreed it would hurt my soul right now to just toss 30 pounds of lead. Even if it did have issues.
If you were close by, I'd let you have it...

Tony
Old May 22, 2021, 10:03 AM   #16
Don Fischer

How do you know you have zinc in it? I found when melting down wheel weights that the wheel weights of lead melted much sooner than zinc and the zinc weight floated out. If I remember right, that would be good!, zinc melts at 850* and lead at something like 600*. I never smelter lead at over 650* and actually no problem with zinc, at 650* the zinc won't melt!
Old May 22, 2021, 10:10 AM   #17
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLBELL View Post
I had an Aunt that put used motor oil on the dirt road in front of her house to keep the dust down. Worked great. You would get locked up for doing that nowadays. I never could understand all the hoopla. The oil and lead originated in the ground, whats wrong with putting it back where it came from. I pump water out of the ground to water my lawn and nobody says anything.
Funny
Old May 22, 2021, 10:11 AM   #18
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
How do you know you have zinc in it? I found when melting down wheel weights that the wheel weights of lead melted much sooner than zinc and the zinc weight floated out. If I remember right, that would be good!, zinc melts at 850* and lead at something like 600*. I never smelter lead at over 650* and actually no problem with zinc, at 650* the zinc won't melt!
^THIS^
Old May 23, 2021, 10:01 AM   #19
Geezerbiker

What makes you think I had a temperature controlled furnace to melt it? I used a stainless steel pan on a camp stove. I'm pretty sure I melted at least one zinc wheel weight in the mix. I can't get good bullets from this alloy even with my best molds.

I might mix it in with better alloy someday or it might just sit in that GI ammo can for the rest of my days.

Tony
Old May 23, 2021, 11:28 AM   #20
USSR

Tony,

Some advice for melting clip-on wheel weights in the future. Test them with a pair of side cutter pliers. If you can put a dent in them with the side cutter, they are lead; if you can't, they ain't.

Don
Old May 24, 2021, 01:34 AM   #21
Geezerbiker

That's one of the many things I learnt too late... I have another bucket of wheel weights that I need to smelt down and I can gurandamtee you that I won't make that mistake again.

I have one forklift ballast plate and if I can break it down to melt into ingots, I might mix it in with the contaminated lead. That should be a 4 to one clean lead to iffy lead alloy mix. I could also toss in one of those bars of pure tin I have lying around. This also assumes I scrounge up melting pot large enough for all of it...

I hate tossing lead and that's why I kept this 1/2 a GI ammo can of iffy quality ingots though my last move... It would have been a lot easier to have gotten rid of them than bringing them to my new digs.

Tony