The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 16, 2022, 12:53 PM   #1
NukemJim

Modifying a NY AR to take a Normal Capacity magazine?

Recent news articles state that the Buffalo NY gunman illegally "modified" his AR to accept a mag that would more than 10 rounds. Can anyone explain? Are NY ARs different than regular ARs? Is it like California and their goofy stocks? Or is the news media getting it all wrong AGAIN!

"Guns shoot bullets.
People shoot people."
Old May 16, 2022, 02:33 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

what is being reported (and stated by the NY Gov.) on the internet is this,

Quote:
According to Gendron’s manifesto, he modified the gun with a parts kit that retails for about $60 and his father’s power drill.
In NY (and CA, and I'm not sure where else) the AR must be made so it will not accept the standard magazines. There are several ways this has been done. I do not know exactly what system was used in the gun used in the Buffalo shooting, but the shooter has admitted it was able to cut it out and convert the gun to take standard magazines.

Which is a crime, in NY. So is shooting people, usually...
Old May 16, 2022, 08:44 PM   #3
rickyrick

A person with criminal intent bypasses a gun law, go figure.
Anything can be modified with common tools, not sure what the NY requirements are, but anything made for human use from available materials can be adapted with enough determination.
Old May 17, 2022, 12:41 AM   #4
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
what is being reported (and stated by the NY Gov.) on the internet is this,

In NY (and CA, and I'm not sure where else) the AR must be made so it will not accept the standard magazines. There are several ways this has been done. I do not know exactly what system was used in the gun used in the Buffalo shooting, but the shooter has admitted it was able to cut it out and convert the gun to take standard magazines.

Which is a crime, in NY. So is shooting people, usually...
I am behind the enemy line in California. We do not have a law yet that requires guns accept only certain type of magazines, but rather no more than 10 rounds are allowed in any magazine.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old May 17, 2022, 02:33 PM   #5
Scorch

I have modified ARs coming out of NJ, NY and CA (I am in WA, where removing the magazing restricting device is NOT illegal). The modifications I performed are removing the magazine lock and removing the "bullet buttons" that were common a few years ago. It entails removing the device and replacing the locking magazine latch assembly with a standard magazine latch assembly, about $30 worth of parts and 10 minutes at the bench.
Old May 17, 2022, 05:45 PM   #6
Polinese

Some folks in NY opt for doing a fixed magazine where you split the receivers to reload it. Doing so allows them to have the various scary features on the rifle like a pistol grip and adjustable stock. Others go the "featureless" route to maintain detachable magazines. I'm assuming this is a case of the former