The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 7, 2020, 01:22 AM   #1
'88Scrat

Fun Shotgun

I'm looking into acquiring a shotgun exclusively for shooting those fun looking rounds you see at gun shows, the Dragons Breath, Flashbang, Flechette, and whatnot. The ones that just look FUN to try.

I've got an 870 Wingmaster Magnum but it's my primary hunting/trap gun. Don't want to dirty it up with some of these odd loadings.

Currently I'm looking at a Mossberg 590A1 of some kind or perhaps a Remington 870 Marine Magnum. Something with a cylinder bore is preferable.

Thoughts?
Old January 7, 2020, 02:24 AM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

spare barrel for the 870 for the "exotic" stuff and elbow grease for cleaning it. Cheaper than a complete gun.

On the other hand, if want another gun, and just need a reason......
Old January 7, 2020, 05:47 AM   #3
PatientWolf

Double barrel coach gun?
Old January 7, 2020, 09:35 AM   #4
Virginian

Watch out with those flechettes. They are steel and will ricochet. Saw a guy shoot a steel pistol target and two of them came back and stuck him in the leg at 25 yards.
Old January 7, 2020, 02:25 PM   #5
'88Scrat

Originally posted by 44AMP:
Quote:
On the other hand, if want another gun, and just need a reason......
Yeah...

That last bit...
Old January 7, 2020, 05:35 PM   #6
GarandTd

If you want to keep the price down, a Mossberg Maverick 88 security model can be had for about $200 if you shop around. 7+1 capacity, cylinder bore, and inexpensive enough to not sweat beating on it a little with novelty rounds. The Maverick has a proven track record and is compatible with Mossberg 500 accessories. The Maverick is assembled in the U.S., although, I believe some components are made in Mexico.
Old January 7, 2020, 06:07 PM   #7
bamaranger

just for fun

Ya'know, if I had $300 or so to dump on a "fun" shotgun, I might consider that Chinese clone of the Win lever shotgun, I think it's called the Century PW87.
I understand they have their issues, but the gun seems a real novelty.

That said, for about the same cash, one could nearly buy two Moss Mavericks (I bought my last one used for $160 out the door).
Old January 8, 2020, 09:11 AM   #8
Jim Watson

Just to save you some expense, the commercial fletchette shotgun shells are worthless. The fletchettes do not fin stabilize and land either end up and a lot sideways. Penetration is poor.

Dragon's Breath is different. I don't know what it would be good for, probably send the lynch mob in front of the jailhouse packing, but it is spectacular. A considerable jet of flame. A paper target - admittedly a bit frayed from being shot with bullets and shot - ignited at 25 yards.
Old January 8, 2020, 02:36 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

Flechettes are illegal in a lot of places. CA, FL, MA, IL, DC, HI, or AK and NYC. Mind you, so are Dragons Breath as those are incendiaries.(AK, CA, FL, HI, IA, MA, NY, APO's, FPO's, PO Box's, Washington DC; . All of IL; CT, NJ: Pistol Permit# Required.)
As are Flashbangs. (That ammo is restricted in the following cities and/or states: All of Alaska; All of CA; All of FL; All of IA; All of HI; All of IL; All of MA; NYC , NY; Bronx, NY; Brooklyn, NY; Manhattan, NY; Staten Island, NY; Queens, NY; Washington D.C., APO & FPO Addresses, No PO boxes.)
One place where Flechettes are not evil wants $110 per 25. Dragons Breath runs $100 per 25 too. $119.99 per 25 for the Flashbangs.
In any case, "these odd loadings" will not "dirty up" your 870 any more than any other load. If you opt to play with 'em despite the excessive cost, it'd likely be best if you go way out in the Boonies to do so. Noisy, flashy stuff tends to attract unwanted attention. Usually from the assorted CO's/game wardens.
Old January 8, 2020, 08:53 PM   #10
'88Scrat

Whoah I didn't realize those rounds were so expensive...

That might change things a bit. Speaking of things changing did Remington change the magazine tubes tlon the 870 Marine Magnums or are there two types. Some pictures I see have the tube extend beyond the barrel and in others its flush.
Old January 11, 2020, 05:42 AM   #11
Rob228

Something cheap like an H&R?
Old January 18, 2020, 08:33 PM   #12
Forte S+W

A deranged part of me would love to shoot Dragon's Breath rounds out of my Mossberg 590 Shockwave, but fortunately I am unaware of anywhere in which I would be permitted to do such a thing, and would rather keep my eyebrows.

I've never really understood the appeal of flechettes as a recreational shooting round. Shooting a shell full of finish nails just doesn't strike me as all that exciting, and the same goes for other unusual payloads in shotshells. Bird and buckshot still keep me plenty entertained. I get more of a kick out of firing ordinary shells out of unusual Shotguns.
Old January 18, 2020, 10:26 PM   #13
GarandTd

I think a few rounds of dragons breath on the 4th of July or new year's would be hoot. Haha...who am I kidding? Any day of the year, that sounds like fun at least once.